Site Updates

Started by Goujer, September 15, 2022, 09:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goujer (she/her)

This will be a topic dedicated to discussing updates to the site and getting feedback from users.

We have just moved to a new server computer with much more processing power and to Linux Mint 20 from Debian 10.

Mint was chosen because much of it can be configured without the terminal making things far more lovely to work with.

Currently the Forum is fitting in very snuggly on new setup, however other parts are having a few issues.

The Wiki:
The Wiki is having issues with the new setup and needs to be updated. I expect this to be done soon. But even afterward there may be some issues that may take a while to iron out.

The Gallery:
No doubt many of you have noticed we have 3 galleries now. Not ideal I know. The new Danbooru gallery will now be considered the main gallery. It is immensely powerful and has a lot of features that make managing stuff super easy!
The issue with Gelbooru was a lack of any updates to it. I originally chose it because it ran on PHP like the Wiki and Forum also Gelbooru's own site is immensely powerful and has lots of nice features. It claims to be open source, and at one point I was contributing to its Patreon. However there lies the problem. Gelbooru 0.1 has its source avaliable, not 0.2. For years they have teased releasing 0.2 but they just haven't. You can use 0.2 if you let them host it/subscribe to them, but that's not very useful for us as a small self-hosted site.
The ancient Piwigo gallery is being held together by duct-tape for the most part, it's more of a site for personal galleries than one for something like OS-tan art.

Email across all areas of the site still doesn't work, I am trying to make it work, but it's easier said than done.

Also a reminder that the Forum, Wiki and Gallery each have a different account.

Zacian King of Windows

Well good for you then keep up the good work.
This forum may be dead, but I will not give up hope to bring some life back into this poor forum we must save! ITS NOT TOO LATE TO SAVE THIS SITE! SAY IT WITH ME!
https://i3.kurocore.com/i/sm/20140408005613/42769599-0.jpg

Chocofreak13

proud of you! thank you so much for keeping all this alive. it can't be anything close to easy, especially since you have an actual factual grown-up job. :0

not asking for anything, but would it make things easier to slowly import the Piwigo gallery into the Danbooru one? ik we wouldn't be able to make personal galleries in that, which would be mildly annoying for anything that the uploader wanted to keep separate/private from the main, but as for everything else, we could just tag it all by author and establish a parent-child relationship between certain works. idk if this helps at all, it's just a thought.

thanks again! if there's anything we can do to help, please let us know. :3
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

It would be very helpful to move the images over from the Piwigo to the Danbooru. The Danbooru also has a private favorites list users can create.
Remember though with Piwigo to always get the original resolution image. It likes to resize things.

I also stream and take care of my sick cat so I have a busy schedule lmao.

Zacian King of Windows

Quote from: Goujer on September 20, 2022, 06:37:54 PMIt would be very helpful to move the images over from the Piwigo to the Danbooru. The Danbooru also has a private favorites list users can create.
Remember though with Piwigo to always get the original resolution image. It likes to resize things.

I also stream and take care of my sick cat so I have a busy schedule lmao.

Do you Stream on Twitch/YouTube

also what kind of updates are coming to the site?
This forum may be dead, but I will not give up hope to bring some life back into this poor forum we must save! ITS NOT TOO LATE TO SAVE THIS SITE! SAY IT WITH ME!

Goujer (she/her)

Quote from: Zacian King of Windows on September 20, 2022, 11:23:59 PMDo you Stream on Twitch/YouTube

also what kind of updates are coming to the site?

I stream on Twitch.

Site updates will just be updates to the software that the site runs on.

Chocofreak13

if i fuck up and forget to get the original resolution, please let me know! hopefully i'll notice beforehand. ;^;
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

It'll all be A-okay

Goujer (she/her)

• Attachments work on the forum again.
  • Fixed some security holes.

Zacian King of Windows

Quote from: Goujer on September 28, 2022, 11:43:37 AM
  • Attachments work on the forum again.
  • Fixed some security holes.

Thanks

Goujer (she/her)

The forum now has working email and reCAPTCHA this means that we can open up registration again publicly.

Zacian King of Windows

Quote from: Goujer on October 18, 2022, 10:42:09 AMThe forum now has working email and reCAPTCHA this means that we can open up registration again publicly.

That's great would it bring some new/more people to the site wait is this site now VPN proof Hālian said something about 1 of those soap opera crew members always changing their I:P Address is it now VPN Proof I just wanted to know now we can't have the soap opera do it again anyways does that mean it could bring some new or more peopleto the site to make it less dead?

Goujer (she/her)

@Zacian King of Windows
I think I'm understanding your run-on sentence to say: You want to know if the site is VPN proof and will these changes make the site less dead?

The site is not VPN proof, members of the "soap opera crew" that are banned will remain as such. Many people use VPNs, some by necessity due to censorship laws sometimes, so I will not ban all VPNs.

As for whether or not these changes will make the site less dead, it will certainly make things more accessible, but site activity levels has little to do with any changes I make.

ALSO

The Wiki has been updated and now has working email.
I will soon be going over and revamping stuff in its permissions for better accessibility and will probably update it again soon as there are still a few bugs in regards to settling the Wiki down in the new up to date server environment.

Zacian King of Windows

Quote from: Goujer on October 20, 2022, 07:02:25 AM@Zacian King of Windows
I think I'm understanding your run-on sentence to say: You want to know if the site is VPN proof and will these changes make the site less dead?

The site is not VPN proof, members of the "soap opera crew" that are banned will remain as such. Many people use VPNs, some by necessity due to censorship laws sometimes, so I will not ban all VPNs.

As for whether or not these changes will make the site less dead, it will certainly make things more accessible, but site activity levels has little to do with any changes I make.

ALSO

The Wiki has been updated and now has working email.
I will soon be going over and revamping stuff in its permissions for better accessibility and will probably update it again soon as there are still a few bugs in regards to settling the Wiki down in the new up to date server environment.

Okay But I do hoep there could be at least activity with 10 or users on the site

Chocofreak13

if it happens, it happens. if not, we're all still here, which is something to enjoy.

RE: VPNs - tbh doing a blanket ban on them is probably more harm than good, especially considering how common and popular they are these days. i'd like to subscribe to one at some point (i've heard FreeVPN is kinda crappy and might actually track your data...?). unfortunately, this also means that it's still very possible for trolls to make their way in, but the likelihood of that is still on the low end.

thanks as usual, Goujie. ^^
click to make it bigger