Post your desktop

Started by Q4(V), March 20, 2006, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goujer (she/her)

You all have such clean desktops.

Exa

Triplex

So this is my desktop with nothing opened on workspace 1 which displays on my main monitor and steam opened on my steam workspace. I use a tiling window manager called i3 on Arch Linux.
I'm just a guy who uses Arch Linux, wears trenchcoats, and loves girls who are tomboys.

Bella

Hālian He/him

Wallpaper is a shot of various properties on International Drive in Orlando, FL.

Nichi

Is that an XP skin for (I'm guessing) Windows 10?

Hālian He/him

Yup. :D The taskbar skinning is done with Open-Shell, though.

Triplex

Everyone else runs Windows while I run Linux with the i3 window manager, why doesn't anyone else here use Linux as a daily driver?
I'm just a guy who uses Arch Linux, wears trenchcoats, and loves girls who are tomboys.

Bella

Speaking personally - I ran Linux on my main computer for maybe a year or so back in 2009. Windows XP sucked (this is the truth and I'm not sorry to say it) and I couldn't afford a Mac yet, so Linux was the best choice with regards to stability and security. I also didn't game, or make art on proprietary software, so I wasn't losing out on anything there.

10 years have passed and a lot has changed. I've moved from Linux to Mac to Windows as my needs have adapted. I've never had a single issue with Windows 10 - so I'm sticking with it. I like the driver support, and the game support, and the ease of use. I code and work/fight with Linux servers all day by profession, at the end of my workday I just want to relax, unwind with my games or some painting in Photoshop, and let my computer take care of itself. Windows lets me do that. Mac and Linux currently do not.

That said, Linux is a peerless server OS and I wouldn't run anything else on my webserver. I also really like Mac as a dev environment and would choose it over Linux or Windows. Different tools for different jobs.

Nichi

I run Linux Mint on my laptop, if that counts
(I also have Windows 10 on there on a secondary hard drive, for the rare instances where I need Windows on the go)

stewartsage

I've run Linux from lack of choice and experimentation purposes.  Never really had any interest in making it permanent though.

No major changes.  Same laptop (with a new frame after the old one shattered a vital area), same OS.  AIM has gone the way of the dinosaurs and most of my IRC friends have migrated to Discord.  Also a new HD and fan.

Goujer (she/her)

I often find Linux takes far longer to get setup with a piece of software than Windows does. As Bella somewhat mentioned needs and tools usually line up to what works the best for the time put in. I personally don't like Windows 10 so I'm definitely going to give Linux a try as a main driver eventually. Setting up Photoshop for example, is a chore or setting up Wine, getting the right configurations and testing frequently to make it stable so you can actually do the work you want to on it. Doing this can be kind of fun but I don't have hours to waste on that stuff.
For example I was in a game development club one semester and we had to use Godot because it was the only engine tools one of the captains could get running on his Arch Linux machine. Often he was more busy setting something up to make things work better with Godot than working on the project. We all suffered to because Godot was very early then and had little documentation not to mention that it didn't have a working compiler on Windows, Linux or MacOS.

Nichi

Since we're on the subject of Linux, my desktop on Mint. Nothing fancy, really

(Also, yes I am using the Windows 95 "My Computer" icon there :P )

Exa

I like how you have a Vista-tan (one of them) background and 9X-era My Computer icon on a Linux. But again, I have the fictious "Windows 20XX" (is this what they use in Mega Man?) background and also 9X-era icons on Windows 7.

Goujer (she/her)

I try to keep -tan consistency with my wallpapers my laptop and desktop draw from the same collection wallpapers but my laptop will only show Touko wallpapers, while my desktop will only show Nanami. My legacy build has XP-tan wallpaper, my Mac has Tiger-tan and Leopard-tan wallpapers, my PS3 has a PS3-tan, my PS Vita has a Vita-tan etc...