/!\ IMPORTANT /!\ OSTan needs you !

Started by Fedora-Tan, April 20, 2016, 02:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedora-Tan

Hello everybody,

Due to recent personal events, i will not keep hosting this website (gallery, forum, wiki) for free past 1st of July, 2016.

There are 4 solutions i can see, by order of preference :
1st solution - Someone is serious and willing to take the whole thing and host it, and administrate it. Keep in mind it is not free. It will require payment for domain name, and hosting. And of course, your time and knowledge about server maintenance. I require that this person is "sponsored" by elder members here. I won't accept demands from people who may pop out of nowhere.
2nd solution - I continue hosting and managing server, but i'll require a 30€ / month for the domain name, server fees, the paypal / bank fees and the management. Paid yearly, so it means we are able to raise 360€ before end of June, and we do that every year. It is more than what it costs, but it's also for my time / management.
3rd solution - We put gallery pictures on a drive/cloud somewhere, we set a Facebook page to replace the forum, and we think about something free also for the Wiki.
4th solution - We declare end of life of Ostan-collections.net :/

Solution has to be found before end of May to leave time for all procedures. Reaons is that 1st of July is a end of server rent date, so it cannot be postponed. There will be no "grace period".

Dr. Kraus

Damn, sucks to see it be like this. After being on here for so long I can't think of this little corner of the net going away overnight!
Since I have experience with hosting websites with Amazon's cloud based servers I'm willing to handle the domain and hosting if people are willing to trust it with me.

The entire site would just be moved over from whatever server its currently on to an AWS that will keep server costs low as long as there isn't a crazy amount of traffic bombarding the server.
I'm willing to front the cost for a while to keep the site up and running, since I'm a amazon partner my expenses pertaining to server costs won't be high, probably around $10/month with the current traffic.
For the gallery I would probably figure out hosting a general wordpress powered gallery on a micro server with AWS, this would probably cost around $4/m unless someone is accessing it constantly and pulling a lot of traffic.

Anyway, that is just my offer to put up in the air and only if everyone is alright with it will I take responsibility of everything.
Good luck with everything Fedora and I hope thing work out for the best around here!

Fedora-Tan

Thanks. For the record there is not a ton of traffic currently, so i don't expect high costs. It's more that unless something changes (back) in my life, there are things i need to do to go forward.
Currently the site is partially self-hosted on a VDSL2 line, partially on a OVH server. It costs something like 10€/month total, so like i said it's not the physical cost the worst.

Nichi

Unless another steps up, I think Kraus might be our best choice; since he has experience. I'd try, but given I lack experience in managing a server, on top of having money issues as it is, it would end very, very badly ^^;

So, yeah; my vote is for Kraus.

Bella

Voting Kraus too.

I'd be more than willing to donate what I can, too.

EDIT: I'm short on money but I have time to spare. In the event Kraus hosts the forum, I would be more than willing to help as an admin or mod.

Fedora-Tan

Regarding questions i got by PM, here are answers which i believe are of public interest :
- Members who would like to have their account deleted / their posts removed can have that done - just PM me. This might interest some members with sensitive posts from ages ago that they don't especially feel like being resurrected in future.
- I will publish for everyone an archive of the gallery (.zip with all pictures) and an html extract of the wiki with all its content.
- All passwords will be reset prior to database giveaway. That means that all members will require a "password recovery" on their first login on the new host, and that their email must be valid.
- Database is about 200Mb (mysql) and files about 10Gb.

Bella

Is the database just an archive of the wiki and gallery or the whole forum too? I'm worried about losing my old posts  (and Stew's too).

Fedora-Tan

I won't give out database to public but only to the person who will host. Database contains data from gallery, wiki and forums.
No posts will be removed except for people who asks explicitely.

Bella

Alright.

In the event that Kraus can't host it for whatever reason, I'd be willing to. I have (more than enough) server space that's going unused and want to make sure it can continue!

Ghost Member

I hope os-tans wiki will become active again.
I want to participate rights to update some more info about Linux OS-tans distributions.
Application Girls & Malware Girls.

Beside, won't you set up Facebook Group for os-tan forum members?
Otherwise once the forum gone everyone will be scattered to unkown places unable to unit back.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Ghost Member on April 21, 2016, 03:51:13 PM
I hope os-tans wiki will become active again.
I want to participate rights to update some more info about Linux OS-tans distributions.
Application Girls & Malware Girls.

Beside, won't you set up Facebook Group for os-tan forum members?
Otherwise once the forum gone everyone will be scattered to unkown places unable to unit back.

Forum ain't die'n on my watch bud, I'll become host and fork out the dosh needed to keep everything how it is right now.
I can firmly say that I'd be able to solidly host everything for a good 5 years minimum.
I'm just putting 5 years up because I can somewhat firmly grasp what is going to happen in the next couple of years in terms of my cash flow, living, and so on.
If I end up as the host I'll probably end up hosting until something catastrophic happens like Amazon's server blowing up or something, so probably forever as I'm able to.

Bella

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on April 21, 2016, 06:19:35 PM
Forum ain't die'n on my watch bud, I'll become host and fork out the dosh needed to keep everything how it is right now.
I can firmly say that I'd be able to solidly host everything for a good 5 years minimum.
I'm just putting 5 years up because I can somewhat firmly grasp what is going to happen in the next couple of years in terms of my cash flow, living, and so on.
If I end up as the host I'll probably end up hosting until something catastrophic happens like Amazon's server blowing up or something, so probably forever as I'm able to.

Kraus, you are the freakin' best. <3

Ghost Member

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on April 21, 2016, 06:19:35 PM
That's a good news to hear. Thanks for the information.
I don't want OS-tans traditional meet it's end. Even I want to revive Linux OS-tans back.

LeaflameSD

Because of social services shit, I can't donate or anything... but it would be a bummer to see this site go, even if I haven't been here for that long relative to you guys.

Chocofreak13

shit man, i haven't been active much due to life shit but damn. if nothing else i can throw money at you people. i make enough atm to have disposable income (very subject to change, hours are going down) and i'd love to see it go somewhere useful where it can actually make an impact (if i gave money to my sister, it'd be a drop in the bucket, but i probably should >>; ). so i'm on board with everything except seeing this place going down in flames. ideal situation means i get to keep my posts.

in the event we need a free wiki, Wikia isn't the worst place. i had good luck with it with my wiki. :0
click to make it bigger