FREE COOKIES!

Started by CaptBrenden, April 11, 2007, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

YOUR DECOR PUTS MINE TO SHAME OH GOD ;^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Thanks guys. :D

@Cockle: Maybe at some point I'll do a tutorial trying to outline the method to my madness, but it comes down mostly to:
-Observing photographs and artwork depicting the kind of dramatic lighting I'm going for. It's hard to actively look for, but whenever I see a work with lighting I like I download it and put it in my references folder, then before doing a piece I browse through and try to figure out what kind of lighting scheme I want to aim for.

-Trying to think in 3d to sort out highlight and shadow patterns — the reference image thing helps a lot with this, as does drawing out rays radiating from the lighting sources as a way to figure out what surfaces they'll hit. Also doing very quick sketches from other angles (usually top-down) to get an idea of what the light will hit from other perspectives.

-A friend once told me to start imagining every physical object as a dull mirror; that is to say that everything reflects light just to different extents depending on the material. If everything is mildly reflective, that means it's going to reflect not only strong lighting sources, but also nearby objects. Blue sky results in blueish / cool highlights, an object sitting on a red surface is going to have shadows that take on a reddish cast, etc. This goes for everything - the lighting in the scene, other nearby characters and objects, the other items of clothing the character is wearing. If light's hitting it, it's reflecting light. The hard part is figuring out what it'll hit, and how intense it should be.

Chocofreak13

even with art school behind me you're a caliber above me, bells...
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

if only i paid this much attention to detail in math

edit: lol i found this thing i drew in 2009
there's some improvement (/ 'з')/
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Chocofreak13

yeah, you have improved. looks nice. :0
click to make it bigger

Bella

Your pencil work is really good Cockle, do you ever use/have you considered using colored pencils?

Chocofreak13

bah, i was supposed to finish art for the show tomorrow but i gave up because i only gave myself like 3-4 days and i didn't want to stress myself out because it's complicated.

now everyone's making fancy-schmancy digital art and i feel dumb. >>;;

(nice pics, bells. who is?)
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

:^) it's Sugilite and i drew it listening to Nicki Minaj
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

part of a larger project i'm working on

Chocofreak13

that's Pearl, isn't it. that's Pearl.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

A "quick" sketch off of a reference
Sakura Shinguuji from Sakura Wars on the Sega Saturn

Original Image used as ref

now with some colour

Chocofreak13

looks good, bro. loving the eye detail on both pics.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Made some Cd Jewel Case inserts for the Va-11 Hall-a demo which I burned to a CD just so I could have physical copy for my shelf
These were approved by Sukeban games just this morning where I can release them for people to use.
Personal Use only!!

Here is the physical stuff I made and shared on Twitter with Sukeban
http://1drv.ms/1LepG6h

Cockleshell