Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goujer (she/her)

I had no idea 4chan did anything good... I still don't know what tumbler is though.

Nichi

@Kari: First one reminds me of some of the people I had to deal with at church. Thankfully, nothing violent, just that one kid that had this strange obsession with getting close to me and exhaling into my face; the very first time, he had a cold, and seemed determined to get me sick apparently, even though I barely knew his name. The teacher wouldn't do anything to stop him, and he kept doing it; right up to the very last time I saw him, when he just randomly walked by me in the halls, exhaled into my face (Fogging my glasses, which was a recent addition at the time), and walked off, while my sister and her friends, whom I was with, were like "...what's his problem?"

@Lego: Tumblr can be one of many things; depends on what corner of it you stumble into, much like 4chan in a way. The SJW side of Tumblr is their counterpart to 4chan's /b/, in the sense of it generally being the first thing anyone thinks of when they hear the site's name, although as far as noteworthy, there's also the fandom side (Including the oft-mocked "SuperWhoLock" subculture). TBH, I try to stay as far away from the SJW side; for every reasonable, level-headed person you encounter, you get the kind mentioned in that second pic Kari posted :\

Chocofreak13

@lego: the general concept behind tumblr (no e!) is that person A makes something cool, posts it on their tumblr blog. person B finds said post, likes it, shares it, and starts following person A. person B now sees all of person A's posts and things person A has shared from other people, and anyone following person C can now see all the posts from person A that person B has shared.

also, Anon is a force to be reckoned with. google Project Shell-Shocked, you'll see what i mean.

@pent: social-service-based professions are typically thankless, exahusting, soul-crushing jobs that no one takes seriously because no one knows what actually goes on. i admire the poster for not only having the gonads to share it, but also for having the gonads to even do it.

and yeah, that person from your church was handled quite poorly. could have been an instance like Brainy from Hey Arnold; wants to make friends, but reeeeeeally doesn't know how to go about it, gets nervous, ends up just breathing awkwardly.
or maybe they were just a douche.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. TBH, there's no telling; I personally lean more toward "douche", but maybe I'm being too negative; based solely on how a vast majority of the boys in my age group at church were little douches :\

Chocofreak13

that sounds like a lot of the south, though.

(ik, ik, generalization.... >>; )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True that. It could have always been worse; at least Palestine is the biggest city in the county, even if it's still kinda small :\

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

18k, although in terms of businesses...most of them are food related, with most of those being fast food. Going to at least Tyler to shop is something that nearly everyone does, with some preferring to go the extra several miles to Dallas or Houston :\

Chocofreak13

ho jeez, that's small. you're about the equivalent of Salem, which is FAR from being the biggest 'city' in the county (i think it still calls itself a town). -w-;;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. Next biggest is Elkhart, which is about the size of Windham, and the rest of the county is practically villages with less than 1,000 people :\

Chocofreak13

that is what defines a village, yes. xD

Cities/Towns get a little confusing in this neck of the woods, since defining yourself as a 'city' means your tax rate goes up, so despite ballooning populations, few towns actually do it. the only defined 'city' we have in the county is Portsmouth (i had no idea it was even IN this county), which you may remember as the location where a peace treaty that ended the Russo-Japanese War was signed in 1905 (no..? just me, then?). the 5 largest communities in Rockingham County are (in order):

Derry (who knew?)
Salem
Londonderry
Portsmouth (wow)
Windham (seriously!?)

i was looking at some of the towns in the county, most of them don't break the 7k mark, some don't even break the 1k mark! it's baffling when all you've been around is the "larger" areas. @w@;;;

i also live pretty close to Hillsborough county (the next one west of us), which is the most populated/most densely populated county in the state, which is probably what affected my PoV. it also has 2 cities (its ONLY 2 cities) which we travel to frequently, Manchester and Nashua (pop. 110,378 and 86,494 respectively). according to Wiki, Manch is the largest city in northern NE (Vermont, NH, and Maine). go figure. :0
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I live in what is most likely the smallest town in my county, most people don't even know it exists.
Funny story (that may or may not be true) it was named Ramsey after the then governor at the time Alexander Ramsey, at the time they were determining the state capital and thought if they named the town after him, he would pick them to be the capital (although at the time Ramsey was nothing but farm, swamp and forest) St. Paul was chosen instead.

Nichi

It's worth noting that Palestine was in the running to be the capital of Texas eons ago, although that obviously went to Austin instead.
(The street I live on is noteworthy in that most people in town don't even know it exists, even if they're not terribly far from it; to the point that, when I still went to garage sales on my bike, I'd just tell people "I live on [nearby bigger road]", rather than try to explain to them where my street is)

Chocofreak13

s'a good idea. around here, it's easier to say "Near Bramley Hill", "Near Cobbett's Pond", or "Marblehead" than my actual street. people have misspelled it like the plant, too ("Holly" rather than "Hawley"). -w-;;;

@lego: sometimes the context of tiny towns is fun, but it seems more fun to visit than live. s'like everything's a little secret, or that there's a vast wilderness to cross just to get pizza. little adventures.
click to make it bigger

Bella

You have no idea how pissed off this sort of mentality makes me feel.

It makes me think of this story a friend of mine told after class one day, about how he was stabbed in the arm by his soon-to-be ex-GF when he tried to break up with her over dinner, she was jailed but later stalked him after release, following him even after he moved to a new city. I believe he mentioned that she was eventually re-arrested but he never said what ultimately became of her.

He's a big, funny guy and told the story in his usual irreverent and absurd way, we reacted with humor but then I was like, "What the hell - SHE ASSAULTED AND STALKED YOU, do you realize how much harm she could have done? We wouldn't be laughing if the genders were reversed!" He agreed with me and said something to the effect of, "well yeah, when a girl is hurt it's sad, when a guy is hurt it's funny." He pointed out another of our friends and said something like, "It would be funny if I kicked him in the crotch. But can you imagine if I kicked a girl in the stomach?" (I paraphrase here.)

Sorry for the rambling story, I just ran across those two links this morning and it got me thinking about this issue.