Any OS-tan comic ideas you want me to draw?

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 23, 2012, 11:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

That storyboard is delightful Aurora! I got a laugh out of SCOPE's seeming cheerful oblivion at Multics' and Cray's disagreement, and her excitement at the thought of Multics being Cray's servant. :D

As well, your script concept for the next part sounds good. SCOPE is one of the oldest CDC-tans and has had struggles with a number of her kin (most notably NOS-tan - whom she had to defeat in battle, if memory serves correct). That alone has probably hardened her and made her difficult to intimidate!

Aurora Borealis

I got parts 3 and 4 finished! :D

If the noses look 'off' to you, it's because I had to draw them in on the .psd file. I forgot that I originally included them in the earlier strips.

stewartsage

That last panel reminds me a lot of a certain forum member....

Yeah, SCOPE's had to (try) try and murder some fools before.  She's pretty much the entire family's stern mother whether they like it or not.  That includes some maternal interest in the later Crays as well even if they aren't strictly speaking family.

Bella

This is .... beautiful ...

Multics' "IT IS ON" reaction in the final panel of part three made my heart smile, and her response to Cray in the beginning of Part 4 drives home the point that she's no pushover, even if she's currently being employed as a servant! Cray's flippant attitude (and troll-lol-lol expressions ^^;) in panels 2 & 3 seems fitting of someone of her power (and, I daresay, arrogance), although I think she seriously underestimates how dangerous Multics can get when she's angry!

(And I really like the full-view of Multics' dress in panel 3. I've been wanting to draw a full body pic of Multics; I may have to use your dress concept. It looks really good!)

On one hand, Multics' dramatic (hammy? ^__^;) delivery in the last two panels is both hilarious AND appropriate. Multics has a deep love of aesthetics and beauty and Cray's insults would count as nothing short as an affront to some of her most cherished ideals. I love how the bold lighting in the last panel emphasizes the tension of the moment — i'm very much anticipating the next installation!

Quote from: stewartsage on June 03, 2014, 11:29:35 PM

I can't help it is Multics and I both have a passion for stupid fashion. :C

Quote from: stewartsage on June 03, 2014, 11:29:35 PMYeah, SCOPE's had to (try) try and murder some fools before.  She's pretty much the entire family's stern mother whether they like it or not.  That includes some maternal interest in the later Crays as well even if they aren't strictly speaking family.

N'awwwwwwww~~

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: stewartsage on June 03, 2014, 11:29:35 PM

Yeah, SCOPE's had to (try) try and murder some fools before.  She's pretty much the entire family's stern mother whether they like it or not.  That includes some maternal interest in the later Crays as well even if they aren't strictly speaking family.

Excellent! Glad to know that SCOPE giving Cray-1 a time-out wouldn't be out of character for her! :D

Quote from: Bella on June 03, 2014, 11:49:46 PM
This is .... beautiful ...

Multics' "IT IS ON" reaction in the final panel of part three made my heart smile, and her response to Cray in the beginning of Part 4 drives home the point that she's no pushover, even if she's currently being employed as a servant! Cray's flippant attitude (and troll-lol-lol expressions ^^;) in panels 2 & 3 seems fitting of someone of her power (and, I daresay, arrogance), although I think she seriously underestimates how dangerous Multics can get when she's angry!

(And I really like the full-view of Multics' dress in panel 3. I've been wanting to draw a full body pic of Multics; I may have to use your dress concept. It looks really good!)

On one hand, Multics' dramatic (hammy? ^__^;) delivery in the last two panels is both hilarious AND appropriate. Multics has a deep love of aesthetics and beauty and Cray's insults would count as nothing short as an affront to some of her most cherished ideals. I love how the bold lighting in the last panel emphasizes the tension of the moment — i'm very much anticipating the next installation!

Thanks! I liked designing Multics' dress, but I think I should have added more frills on the bottom half. Oh well. It's frilly enough, isn't it? :P I wasn't sure if she was much of a Large Ham type of character, but I think this is a situation where that trope fits her perfectly!

---
I'm currently working on the storyboards for the last parts, but I'm also jumping ahead to another idea.

I could use some help with this. It's a tentative script of another idea I wanted to draw, about RSTS-tan's embarrassing weakness of struggling with trivial tasks:

Setting: At the Vintage Federation, many of the Vintage-tans are gathered around to watch RSTS show off her strength, but PDP-1 ends up embarrassing her.

Panel 1: RSTS is lifting weights, while many of the Vintage-tans watch, and look in awe.

Panel 2: Front-view of the crowd
   PDP-1: She's always been very strong, and trained hard. I'm so proud of her!

Panel 3:
   PDP-1: Oh, but I remember when RSTS needed help with the most trivial things! This went on for years! ^_^

Panel 4:
   RSTS: *loses concentration, drops weight*

Panel 5: [Flashback to circa 1971-72, a young RSTS-tan runs to DOS-11, with a peanut butter jar in hand]
   DOS-11! I need help opening this!

Panel 6:
   DOS-11: *muttering* Oh for fuck's sake, you're in service now!

Panel 7: [Flashback to 1985; RSTS got promoted by this time, as RSTS was a full-featured OS by this time]
   PDP-1 (narrating): Even after being promoted to major, she still needed help with the same things!
   VMS: You're now a major, and been in service for nearly 15 years, and still need help with this?
   RSTS: Yes...

Panel 8:
   VMS: Dammit... *opens jar*

Panel 9:
   [back to the present]
   RSTS: This is why I don't visit my my family very often. -_-

I'm not entirely sure how to continue the latter part, or if it's good as-is. To make it 3 equal-sized parts, it'd need to be 12 panels, and perhaps I could add in another embarrassing flashback by PDP-1 about RSTS failing another basic task?

I also wanted to play with the Amazingly Embarrassing Parents/Relatives trope. I can imagine all the elders of the Vintage Federation sharing silly stories that'd embarrass their younger relatives! :P

Nichi

Yay! ^^

TBH, I still need to write the script for the one idea I posted in here...IDK how long ago -w-;;

Triplex

I'm just a guy who uses Arch Linux, wears trenchcoats, and loves girls who are tomboys.

stewartsage

What?  In addition to some clarity, you may want to consider that this thread hasn't been posted in for five years.  Aurora's active in the community, you may want to ask her if posting in this thread will reach her first.

Aurora Borealis

I'm accepting more ideas, and recently started making more OS-tan comics which I will post in this thread, but please be specific. I haven't kept up with Linux distros lately, so I'd like to get some ideas about them.

The last time I posted in this thread, I had only 4 out of 8 strips for the Multics + Cray-1 comic finished. They're all finished now, and will be the first pages I'll post. The comic idea I had about RSTS-tan visiting the Vintage Federation has also been drawn, and is mostly finished.

stewartsage

Mmm, Multics and Cray-1.  Worth the wait!

Nichi

TBH, I once had an idea for 2k-tan and 10-tan meeting, and just being like "...who are you?"
(reason: I setup 10 and 2000 to dual boot, for fun; the latter being one the oldest Windows versions I could get to seamlessly dual-boot with 10, without hardware incompatibilities on either side)

Hālian He/him

A UNIX Family reunion, perhaps? or IRIX-hime and Amiga-tan running across one another?

Bella

>Unix family reunion

Just various Unices engaged in hand to hand combat.

stewartsage

Toe-to-toe nuc-lear combat with each other.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Penti-chan on May 01, 2019, 09:42:56 PMTBH, I once had an idea for 2k-tan and 10-tan meeting, and just being like "...who are you?"
(reason: I setup 10 and 2000 to dual boot, for fun; the latter being one the oldest Windows versions I could get to seamlessly dual-boot with 10, without hardware incompatibilities on either side)

I don't have a script set up for that yet, but that idea could be the basis of a strip about the limits of dual-booting, and of just how far back can a current OS coexist with an older OS on the same computer. I only used Windows 2000 a few times, but there should be some differences that 2k-tan and 10-tan would argue over.

Quote from: Halian on May 02, 2019, 12:38:49 AMA UNIX Family reunion, perhaps? or IRIX-hime and Amiga-tan running across one another?

I third the idea that the Unix Family reunion would be a lot of fighting! I have a rough idea for how that could be made into a comic. I'd want to include a scene where they all try to take a family photo, but can't stay still long enough to not fight each other, so all of the pictures turn out badly, and the photographer gets too frustrated and walks out. Who do you think that poor photographer would be?

With the IRIX-tan and Amiga-tan idea, would it be in the past or the present? I learned from you that they would've had a rivalry back in the 90's because of the 2D vs 3D rivalry, but I need some more details.