Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

@Spence: Cool; I'll have to look that up later -w-

Also, I've held out hope for years of a Diddy Kong Racing 2, although honestly it's never going to happen; given the terrible DS remake (Which, among many other things, removed the sequel hook from the ending...as well as the party scene; leading to it basically being one step above "A Winner Is You" or Eva's infamous "Congratulations!" ending)

SoldierSpence

@Pent- Even though I never played the original N64 version of Diddy Kong Racing, I personally thought the remake was OK.

In other news, I'm currently playing Castle Crashers! ...On Insane Mode. May God have mercy on my soul...

I hope your ready!

Nichi

Mmm. If you had played the original, you'd most likely hate the remake :\

stewartsage

Ah Stairfax, that was one of my first Gamecube games.

Nichi

I remember being very eager to play that game...and then I actually played it -w-;

NejinOniwa

I had the gamecube Starfox game and thought it was bretty gud. Mostly because I wasn't a super avid Starfox fan before, mainly having played some small amount of emulated N64 and the Smash Bros entries. Most of it was fairly amusing, actually, though the derpy parts were pretty annoying at times.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

So, I finally beat Lego Island. To be honest, I'd still like to see a sequel that, unlike Lego Island 2, sticks to the open-ended, free-roaming setup of the first, but with a bigger world with more stuff to do.

Cockleshell

I'm playing Outlast. Why do I do this to myself.
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

NejinOniwa

I found Banished.

My exam week just got fucking fucked right there.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

Just beat Sonic 3D Blast on Saturn. Long load times aside, I actually liked it more on the Saturn than I did on Genesis, even if they're the same game. Perhaps it's because the Saturn sadly never had a true Sonic game, due to the fiasco that resulted in Sonic X-Treme getting cancelled :\

Pitkin

Quote from: NejinOniwa on February 21, 2014, 08:39:34 AM
I found Banished.

My exam week just got fucking fucked right there.

Yep, it's been hell to prepare for classes this week. x)

Nichi

For the hell of it, I replayed Sonic 3D Blast on Genesis, for the sake of comparison. After reading up on the development process, I do have newfound respect for that version; as it was intended from the beginning to be a Genesis\MegaDrive exclusive, as the system's swan song, with the Saturn version being hastily cobbled together to make up for Sonic X-Treme getting cancelled.

You can tell a bit more effort was put into the Genesis version; as it has cut-scenes setting up the story before the first level, while the Saturn version just throws you in. As far as soundtrack, it's kind of split for me; there are some aspects I prefer from the Genesis version (Boss battle theme; which feels like it packs more of a punch), and some aspects I prefer from the Saturn version (Rusty Ruin level theme; a very relaxing tune that fits the atmosphere of the level). Also, as far as special stages, Saturn wins out with a full 3D version of Sonic 2's special stage, with some other enhancements to make it more exciting, while the Genesis has a more bland special stage that runs on the same basic idea (Collect a set number of rings between each checkpoint). Also, as previously mentioned, the Saturn has roughly 30-second load times between every level, with the level reloading if you die; obviously the Genesis version doesn't suffer from this, given that it's cartridge based.

Gameplay wise, they're both exactly the same game; the differences are purely cosmetic and up to personal taste. I personally lean toward the Saturn version, since it's the closest it ever got to a "true" Sonic game, while the Genesis version is still a pretty good game and a nice send-off for the system.

stewartsage

alfonso_rd_30

Dr. Kraus

Decided to get the old Game Boy Color out of the box it has been sitting in for the past couple years just to relive a little bit of childhood.

I found to my dismay that the power switch never works on the first try, second or third tries are needed which is annoying and almost every button needs to be jammed in order to get a proper response out of them.

found this pretty cool site that sells old retro game parts and custom ones (mainly DMG)

Got some of these buttons in orange to replace these dying buttons right now then I decided to look around for some newer shells
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-buttons

Found this Atomic Purple shell that comes with everything that I need (Y-screwdriver) and the price isn't bad so I grabbed it while I could!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181198080864

So here is the plan:

1. Wait for all the parts to come in, week+ for buttons and around two weeks for the shell
2. Take it all apart
3. Repaint the front purple shell cover close to the original color
4. Throw the new orange buttons in along with everything else, use the new Atomic Purple shell only on the back
5. Done, somewhat custom Game Boy Color

Will probably look into getting a backlight kit for it but for now this is all I'm going to put into the 'ol boy.

Can't wait for when this project is over!

Here is the video that got me into this project, its pretty good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_902343699&feature=iv&src_vid=0sYOyny6bw4&v=O8Fbs1yZADk