Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Logically-speaking, I comprehend where you're coming from. Although I can't say I actually understand, for a few reasons - for starters, my family is so "mixed up" that I've never had a super strong sense of cultural heritage (although I am very proud of my Russian & Sicilian ancestry). Coupled with the fact that I've lived in the US all my life, and as you noted the US is extremely culturally- and ethnically-diverse and has been for centuries, AND I have absolutely no desire to "continue my bloodline", I can really only see where you're coming from in abstract terms.

tbh, I'm pretty much for liberal immigration laws in the US, Canada, Australia and other nations founded on immigration, because that's an important part of our/their heritage. Following that logic, immigration laws should be more stringent in smaller, more insular countries - because that's a part of your heritage. I think it would be wrong to completely shut off immigration, but there should be high standards, and at least attempts made to integrate emigrants into the local culture. That isn't so much a problem in the US because we have hundreds (if not thousands) of local cultures, spanning all sorts of ethnic, racial, religious and political lines. As you pointed our with your ocean vs. ice bath analogy, one only has to integrate into one of those regional cultures to "become American", while the same cannot be said for more culturally-homogenous countries.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 08, 2014, 08:05:14 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95218&page=1

this offends me in more ways than i can even describe

Please tell me this isn't real. Please.. i would hate to lose faith in humanity, as well as the belief that there is still common sense in the world....
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Bella

QuoteAn Oklahoma high school suspended a 15-year-old student after accusing her of casting a magic spell that caused a teacher to become sick, lawyers for the student said on Friday.

Nichi

Just...wow >_<;
I really can't think of how to describe it, but then again, we're talking about the south here :\

NejinOniwa

Quick, cast more spells! If we can make rampant accusations of witchcraft pop up in the south it's going to ensure the success of great keikaku!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

I thought Oklahoma was okay with Witchcraft?  Or is that only shamanism?

Bella

I thought Oklahoma was the Midwest? Not the South?

Nichi

IDK; US geography confuses the fuck out of me in that regard :\

stewartsage

Oklahoma is the west, the midwest doesn't go that far over.

Chocofreak13

i always considered Nebraska to be part of the "midwest" and that's further over than oklahoma. i always assumed oklahoma was part of the south.

either way, we're OT.

1. you seriously thought a 15-year-old "cast a spell" and hurt her teacher
2. what the fuck is wrong with wearing pagan symbols to school, paganism is an established religion older than yours fucktard
3. if you had DONE ANY RESEARCH you'd know that pagans are typically a more peaceful folk than christians, mostly due to us not trying to force our ideas on others
4. you're stealing a teenager's notebooks filled with stories....you proud of that? you proud of what you did there?
5. it is rather obvious to me that this girl has been targeted for repeated discrimination much in the way i was during high school
6. what the fuck
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

7: we obviously need to sacrifice a bitch to the gods here
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger