Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy

Started by stewartsage, December 29, 2013, 02:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

I'll run one or the other for ya'll, it's up to you.  I have plots for both ready and settings readyish, so don't worry about which I might prefer.  The rest of this space's reserved for notices and shit.

NejinOniwa

I'm not familiar with either of them. Could you give us a rundown on the differences between the two and their respective specialties and whatnot?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

I've only skimmed wiki pages on them, so I'd also like to know more about their differences.

stewartsage

Rogue Trader you're rich space adventuring assholes, in the other you're cannon fodder for whatever inquisitor has the goods on you/you've volunteered to help.

Chocofreak13

Rogue Trader can go one of two ways: either a: we're Space Accountants, or b: we're Stellar Pirates.

either way, THE MAYOR is game to a Rogue Trader campaign, as long as he is not running and it doesn't conflict with his existing game night. (THE MAYOR is an Explorator, in case you didn't know.)
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

RT feels more like my kind of thang tbh, mostly because I don't REALLY dig cleansing heresy as much as I dig grubbing at power like a madman...but IDK. And either way I suspect I'm going to be heretic as fuck myself if I even try.

Chocofreak13

fyi, RT also centres around an inquisition of sorts where everyone in the known universe worships the god emperor and those that don't are usually killed

that factoid makes THE MAYOR'S usual party an unusual one since everyone in it worships a different god (or, in the case of our shaman, chaos itself).
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Welp they're both just different parts of the WH40K RPG, so that's a given. It's just that you're not required to bloody be in constant contact with an inquisitor as a rogue trader - which is what I'm gunning for in order to stay alive easier...

Bella

@Nej: Given what I know, RT seems like it would be more to my tastes as well.

Chocofreak13

THE MAYOR is game for a round of Space Pirates. >:3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Quote from: NejI don't REALLY dig cleansing heresy as much as I dig grubbing at power like a madman.

Quote from: NejIt's just that you're not required to bloody be in constant contact with an inquisitor as a rogue trader

Clearly you don't know the Inquisition.  It's all about fighting for power for yourself or occasionally for faction within the Ordos/Inquisition.  Inquisitors also like to have the least to do with whatever filthy hobos work for them outside their personal retinue unless it's absolutely necessary or you fuck up.

General feeling is for Rogue Trader though, so let's move on with that.

So Kari wants to be an explorator?  Anyone else?  Or does everyone else need the rulebook?

NejinOniwa

Chocofreak13

okay, uploading the file here failed twice, so here's the book, courtesy of my mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/xgyzsvryt591f6k/Rogue%20Trader%20(2009)%20-%20Core%20Rulebook.pdf

while THE MAYOR is game to a game of space pirates, some people raised some very good points:

1. every game we play falls apart within a month
2. WH20k is a VERY difficult system to play NORMALLY, let alone over the internet. are we sure that we can get this going and KEEP this going if we couldn't even keep changeling alive? :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

The ships part of the rulebook gives me ASMR chills.

I'll continue reading through that sexy 245.8 Megabyte rulebook and see what happens.

stewartsage

There are better ship rules in the splatbooks I have.

It's up to you all, I'm not making you all play my Civ V in space.