Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Well then it does sound like it doesn't like where it is as the demo works fine.

Nichi

It may be compatibility issues with something hardware level.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 14, 2013, 09:01:04 AM
It may be compatibility issues with something hardware level.

THANKYOU, YOU ARE A BROSPLODING BROCANO FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH THE FIREY PASSION OF BROS
click to make it bigger

Nichi

No problem :3

I mean, it could be the GPU for all we know. I know I've had some funky issues out of those in the past (The one in PentiumMMX the Laptop was horrid; so many strange compatibility issues with games you wouldn't expect it to have an issue with, like a Mahjong game my sister bought)

Chocofreak13

and I mean, try as you might to deny it, it's because IT'S A TABLET. or at least that could be a factor. because 13 years ago, the word "tablet" in the computer world meant this:

click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 14, 2013, 10:20:47 AM
and I mean, try as you might to deny it, it's because IT'S A TABLET. or at least that could be a factor. because 13 years ago, the word "tablet" in the computer world meant this:

The fact that its a tablet PC is hardly the issue. There's laptops with some of the same hardware, and tablets like the surface pro share the same internals as the Macbook Air (as well as one ups it in places too.)

I could believe it is the Intel GMA integrated graphics though. Or it could just be Windows 8.

Anyone know if it requires anything like Direct X 9 or older versions of .NET or any other Microsoft runtime like that? I do know that Atera doesn't have those installed, but I could if necessary.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

If it's designed for Windows 2000 like you mentioned, than I'd imagine it requires DirectX 9; as DX10 was only for Vista and newer

DustiiWolf

That makes sense. It didn't list direct X in the requirements, and it does have mac and Linux versions, so I assumed it didn't need anything like that, but I suppose the windows version may rely on something like direct X. I'll install DX9 and see if it works.

Chocofreak13

if you're having trouble, and you REALLY want to play it, make your 'computer' as much like windows 2000 as possible. drivers, programs, etc.

(also, because I anticipate backlash, I put computer in quotes because you're not TECHNICALLY using a computer, you're using a tablet.)
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 14, 2013, 01:12:15 PM
if you're having trouble, and you REALLY want to play it, make your 'computer' as much like windows 2000 as possible. drivers, programs, etc.

(also, because I anticipate backlash, I put computer in quotes because you're not TECHNICALLY using a computer, you're using a tablet.)

That could end badly, but i could always reinstall virtualbox and run 2k in a vm.

And, off-topic, but modern day tablets can also be computers. Windows RT, iOS, and Android devices are not, but x86 & x64 Windows tablets are computers. Atera, if i bought the keyboard "dock", it turns into a laptop (aka: a hybrid device).

Bella

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 14, 2013, 12:29:35 PM
If it's designed for Windows 2000 like you mentioned, than I'd imagine it requires DirectX 9; as DX10 was only for Vista and newer

I just googled Long Live The Queen and it's a 2012 release, so I can't imagine it was developed on / for Windows 2000.

Maybe it's a problem with that particular torrent? Or the hardware? Do you have access to another computer you can try installing it on to see if it works or not? If it doesn't work on another computer, then it's a software issue, if it does, there's an incompatibility with your tablet, easy-peasy.

Nichi

Mmm. According to Steam, the oldest OS it'll run on is XP; which would also make it DirectX 9, as DX10 was for Vista and newer

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Bella on December 14, 2013, 03:55:26 PM
I just googled Long Live The Queen and it's a 2012 release, so I can't imagine it was developed on / for Windows 2000.

Maybe it's a problem with that particular torrent? Or the hardware? Do you have access to another computer you can try installing it on to see if it works or not? If it doesn't work on another computer, then it's a software issue, if it does, there's an incompatibility with your tablet, easy-peasy.

I tried installing DX9(? It was "DirectX June 2010"), and used the GOG torrent this time. Still no go. Also, from http://hanakogames.com/llq.shtml:

QuoteSystem Requirements

Windows version:2000/XP/VISTA/7
CPU 1.2 Ghz - 256 MB RAM

Macintosh version: OS X 10.4 or higher
Universal Binary - runs on Intel and Power PC Macs

Linux version: x86 or compatible processor

It lists 2K on the homepage for the game. It's possible that the game engine just doesnt work with windows 8, since the error from the old install's log was:

QuoteTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "renpy.py", line 24, in <module>
ImportError: No module named os

Which makes it seem like RenPy (the game's engine) just doesn't like Windows 8....

It's possible the paid steam version would work, but i'm broke and dont have steam anyways (and if it didn't, i'd lose my money.)

EDIT: seems like its a graphics driver issue and Ren'Py. http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2774 My tablets graphics driver was updated (which fixed an awful bug causing a delay ẃhen waking), but it appears, if it's like the bug the other user had with a Ren'py game, the new drivers cause problems....

EDIT: Yep. Its GMA. Event Viewer shows the faulting module as idgodl32.dll, which is part of my graphics driver.... damnit Intel... first your drivers screw up in 8.1, then they don't work with Ren'Py....

EDIT: The exit code is 0xc0000005, which appears upon googling binging to be an access violation....

NejinOniwa

Probably a Ren'Py issue. I don't know the age of that engine, but it sure isn't all too recent iirc.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

DustiiWolf

Quote from: NejinOniwa on December 14, 2013, 05:46:50 PM
Probably a Ren'Py issue. I don't know the age of that engine, but it sure isn't all too recent iirc.

Actually, it's last update was last month.

It appears AMD had issues with AMD/ATI cards doing this at one point in Ren'Py games, and only after numerous reports from gamers did AMD release updated graphics drivers. However, for this to happen before makes me think theres something wrong with Ren'Py that the creators haven't noticed....

EDIT: HUZZAH! it works. Found documentation about Ren'Py graphics issues, and it said to hold shift + g upon load to access the graphics accelerator menu. The newer Ren'Py makes use of hardware acceleration, and some graphics cards have problems with it, so switching to software acceleration can fix it. And it did!

oddly, Ren'Py can't even detect Direct X on my pc. Only options Were software and Open GL

Update: Wow. Passing tests are hard. I've already missed a lot, and she's never in the proper mood for royal classes...