Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

It would surprise me if they weren't even slightly irritated by it. I remember when VH1 had the show Totally Obsessed (Which was basically the same thing as TLC's My Strange Obsession), they had this guy on there who was batfuck insane over Pac-Man; while his shrine with lots of vintage memorabilia was honestly neat, they had to show him dry-humping a Pac-Man arcade machine he saw in an arcade and mention that he, and I'm not making this up, worships Pac-Man as a god and made his own religion based around him (I remember stumbling onto his official website on that religion a few months ago).

So many of the people on a classic gaming site I frequented at the time were pissed off about this; given how some people will assume anyone who collects video games are like that guy.

Also, reason for the deja-vu? Do you also trap like me? :3

Chocofreak13

@dustii: don't double-post.

as long as they're not humping YOUR leg, it's fine. we have no right to tell them to stop their lifestyle than I do telling you to smash your tablet and learn DOS or you telling me to break all my pencils and go into social work.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 07, 2013, 01:00:07 PM
@dustii: don't double-post.

as long as they're not humping YOUR leg, it's fine. we have no right to tell them to stop their lifestyle than I do telling you to smash your tablet and learn DOS or you telling me to break all my pencils and go into social work.

Sorry. On mobile. 2G. Had already posted and the system failed to alert me of a new post as it usually does.

You do propose a valid point, I suppose.

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 07, 2013, 12:59:26 PM
Also, reason for the deja-vu? Do you also trap like me? :3

Sorta. I still live with my family, so under circumstances, I can't. ;-;

I do own makeup though (Covergirl Powdered Concealer, Covergirl Bush, Lo'Real Berry Red Lip Gloss), and my partner bought me some cute rainbow thigh highs. (which I will get when I move) When I move in with him I will actually be able to dress how I want, but till then, the best I can do is skinny jeans and light makeup.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

I know that feel. I usually do it when everybody is out of the house or behind closed doors while everyone is asleep
(Which, I have gone out in public in trap mode a few times; mostly lurking JC Penny >w>; )

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 07, 2013, 01:46:15 PM
rainbow thigh highs.....

lucky bitch. >>;

if its any consolation, I don't have them. They're with my partner, who won't be here till later this month.

Nichi

*now has idea for a birthday gift for Kari-chan*

Chocofreak13

if you want to get me a birthday gift that isn't cash for AB, get me a plushie. or if you insist on getting me socks, go to sock dreams and buy me some non-polyester thigh highs. I cannot tell you how hard it is to find a sock that lives up to its name for me. knee socks only come up about halfway up my calf. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Please, bw checkers are FAR superior to rainbows in every way.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

are people just going to start buying me socks for my birthday, in various colours/patterns...?
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 08, 2013, 01:36:39 AM
are people just going to start buying me socks for my birthday, in various colours/patterns...?

Is that a bad thing? Should we not?

Nichi

IDK, but I see it as a reason for me to say "Merry Sockmas!"

On that note, IDK if I've brought this up before, but how does everybody feel about the supposed "war on Christmas" that many conservative Christians frequently cry about? (As in, businesses saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas").

To be honest, while 95% of my family (both sides) get up in arms about "people trying to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas", in all honesty it makes more sense unless you know the person celebrates Christmas. I mean, not every last person celebrates the holiday; after all, some people celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanza, which occur around the same time, while others don't even celebrate any winter holidays at all, so why ignore them entirely as most corporations have in the past because Christmas is the more widely celebrated one? It just reeks of insensitivity toward religions beyond Christianity; especially considering Christmas itself began as a Pagan holiday that, as TV Tropes put it, was "hijacked by Jesus".

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 08, 2013, 03:16:54 PM
IDK, but I see it as a reason for me to say "Merry Sockmas!"

On that note, IDK if I've brought this up before, but how does everybody feel about the supposed "war on Christmas" that many conservative Christians frequently cry about? (As in, businesses saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas").

To be honest, while 95% of my family (both sides) get up in arms about "people trying to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas", in all honesty it makes more sense unless you know the person celebrates Christmas. I mean, not every last person celebrates the holiday; after all, some people celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanza, which occur around the same time, while others don't even celebrate any winter holidays at all, so why ignore them entirely as most corporations have in the past because Christmas is the more widely celebrated one? It just reeks of insensitivity toward religions beyond Christianity; especially considering Christmas itself began as a Pagan holiday that, as TV Tropes put it, was "hijacked by Jesus".

Money. What other holiday in the year does a majority of the population feel compelled to buy their friends, family, and loved ones numerous gifts, which are usually expensive? It's a companies wet dream, in a sense. If they ignored it, they'd end up losing money, and if they took advantage of all holidays, Christmas would no longer be "special", and I wouldn't be surprised if some people flipped their shit over such a thing.

I honestly find the war on Christmas stupid. Like Pentium said, it was originally a pagan holiday, so flipping out because it's not being celebrated in a Christian way or companies using alternative terms is a bit moot of a point. In fact, if Jesus existed, he probably wasn't even born on Christmas. Christians just hijacked the holiday to celebrate his birth. For all we know, Jesus could of been born on the fourth of July. There is no sense making a fuss 

Chocofreak13

according to history Jesus was most likely born in September or even February. it's all right here.

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Fact: Here in the frozen north, we still call it "Yule", and rather than "Santa Claus" or Saint Nicholas we have the Yule Gnome. And: we DON'T drink Coke. In fact, sales figures for Coca Cola drops ENORMOUSLY over the winter, due to being replaced by the seasonal Yule must (which also returns for easter).

Christianity is a bit underpowered here ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS