Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

I don't even know what's so huge about tumblr, only that 4chan accuses it of being populated by le landwhales and other various undesirables. TBH IDC.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i don't really care too much either, but i browse once in awhile. for the most part it seems to be the land of Homestuckers and Hipsters. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

At least the corner I browse is mostly fans of Doctor Who, Sherlock, Supernatural, AT4W (and other TGWTG), and author John Green -w-;

Bella

I hang out in the art, anime and social issues side of tumblr.

Tbh, Tumblr is very much a double-edged sword. It's awesome because it's given a voice and community to a lot of under-represented, once-isolated individuals - just looking at things from an LGBTQA perspective, tumblr has quite a thriving asexual community, genderqueer community and pansexual community. By a lot of people's own admissions, tumblr has introduced them to concepts they wouldn't have otherwise been familiar with, and made them more sensitive and conscious of the needs of others.

At the same time though, I loathe Social Justice Run Amok. Saying all men / white people / straight people / [insert other privileged group here] are oppressors and abusers isn't going to help anyone or anything, and in fact will make a lot of people resent social justice causes. There's also the matter of the Oppression Olympics - when members of oppressed groups argue about who has it worse. Ones that pop up quite often are, "Oh, you're asexual? You don't face the same level of discrimination gays and bisexuals do, ergo you don't belong in the LGBTQ community." and "Oh, you're bisexual? You benefit from straight privilege, so you shouldn't compare your plight to that of gay people." It's ridiculous, pointless bickering between under-privileged groups of people. People who should be working together, not tearing each other down.

At the same time though, sometimes things can get too broad. PoC (people of color, the politically-correct term for non-white groups [which actually makes more sense than "minority", since non-white ethnicities are the majority on a global scale]) rights and issues is one such area. Certainly in white/western nations, PoC face discrimination, but painting them with a broad brush ignores the varying levels of discrimination each race faces. (For instance, you can hardly compare the discrimination that Asian-Americans face with that of African-Americans.) Going back to the LGBTQA example, using "LGBTQA" or "Queer" as a catch-all term for non-straight/non-cis identities makes sense when you want to talk about the inherent discrimination that non-straight/non-cis people face, but it glosses over the fact that bisexuals, gays, asexuals, trans* people, genderqueer people, etc., all face different forms of discrimination and have different experiences and needs.

Chocofreak13

i use the latter terms as catch-alls and never intend any offense by them. :\

as for the OppresOlympics, that's just dumb, and frankly i'd like to think that civilized, educated people wouldn't get into such petty spats. after all, being gay doesn't make you smart, and being straight doesn't make you dumb. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Quote from: Chocoas for the OppresOlympics, that's just dumb, and frankly i'd like to think that civilized, educated people wouldn't get into such petty spats.

Chocofreak13

See, that's what I'd like to think, not what I expect.
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Simonorged

In regards to tumblr, it is what you make it to be, your page is what ever you post on it, if you don't like what you see look for new pages and remove the old ones from your follow list. There is a search bar on top for looking for the things you want. Nothing is on your page by surprise, it's all about who you follow.
I love that site, I run two tumblrs, one pg and the other x.
Simon was here :P

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Simonorged on December 03, 2013, 02:08:02 PM
In regards to tumblr, it is what you make it to be, your page is what ever you post on it, if you don't like what you see look for new pages and remove the old ones from your follow list. There is a search bar on top for looking for the things you want. Nothing is on your page by surprise, it's all about who you follow.
I love that site, I run two tumblrs, one pg and the other x.

Exactly. You see what you want. Your dashboard reflects your interests, and even in some aspects, your personality. Its a curated experience.

I personally have alot of blogs on there, and 3 main accounts. 4 RP blogs, 2 personal blogs (one rarely used, the other PG - X and used often), one Microsoft blog, one dessert blog, a website built on tumblr using html, and a (closed/redirected) adult blog.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

LeaflameSD

I hate it when there are asses all over my dashboard.

NejinOniwa

Well, that depends on the shapeliness of said asses, does it not?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

indeed it does.

i'm likely going to put a music player on my tumblr, despite me getting annoyed whenever I find them on other peoples'. I feel like a hypocrite for doing that but I don't care enough for it to affect my judgment. :\
click to make it bigger