Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i'd rather keep the rights and have a small reader pool then sell them away to get attention. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

That wasn't directed at you. I wrote "anyone who is planning to get into the art industry" precisely because practically everyone on OSC is involved in creative arts (be it drawing/illustration, photography, comics, literature, music, I daresay programming as well) and this is something that could happen to anyone regardless of field. It also seemed germane since most of us have our own story universes we've devoted years of our lives to (several in the case of Nej, heh) and this serves as good cautionary tale against selling any rights to them without legal aid. Art is a labor of love regardless of the medium, and anyone who is a creator should know these dangers.

In my case - I do NOT plan on monetizing my art (I'm speaking in general terms here - anything from photography to literature to programming), mostly because that isn't my aim as an artist - I'm very much in the copyleft school of thought and would much rather have my art be "free", accessible and enjoyable to all, since the only thing I wish to achieve as an artist is creative expression and making other people happy. THAT BEING SAID, if somebody offered me a chance to deliver my art to a wider market via publishing, I would want to do that, even if I wasn't guaranteed to make much money from the venture. However, I would have to make sure I retained rights, and that they respected my licensing, and several other factors. Wanting to be published doesn't necessarily indicate greed, is what I'm saying.

@Pent: I'm not under the impression that the author, in this case, was trying to make a quick buck. She sounded like she was a bit young and naive, but it doesn't sound like she had any illusions about making money of the publishing venture. Not really sure what gave you that impression.

Nichi

I said what I did in reference to this:
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on October 29, 2013, 01:25:03 AM
being in print isn't worth sacrificing your art in the process. and if you feel it IS worth selling your comic's rights, well, you're no better than the soul-sucking corporations out to latch onto anything they can.
I mean, if they're so willing to lose the rights to their comic to get more money, they're like the musicians that only play just to make money, rather than make music.

As for that artist in the article, it was an unfortunate case of greedy corporations; she seemed like she cared greatly about her work :[

Chocofreak13

seconding pent here. and i never said wanting to be published indicated greed. i'm saying that there are greedy people out there who will sell their rights just to BE published. (and money, money is a big motivator here.)
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

This Just In: Some comic book artists are shitbirds!  Film at eleven.

NejinOniwa

This just in: some people are rotten eggs! Occupation doesn't matter.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

BREAKING NEWS: People will do ANYTHING for money. Sports at 11.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

<-- This sport is now known as Football, everywhere and to everyone. --> This sport is now know known as Handegg.
Logic has been applied. Let the shitstorm commence
>I had to do it, because sports is apparently srsbsns to some people

Chocofreak13

i like how in football, you can't see all their junk. >>;

tbh though i agree with you, "football" isn't really an appropriate term and idk how it even came to describe that game, since the feet are barely ever in contact with the ball. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

I call US football "football" in speech with other 'murricans because I'm 'murrican and speak the native vernacular. I also call regular football "soccer" in speech with these people, because I'm more likely to be able to communicate clearly with them that way.

When speaking with non-United States citizens, I refer to US football as "US football" and soccer as "football", because they're more likely to understand me.

US football isn't actually a sport involving feet and balls (heh) but it's what it goes by here so I'm not gonna dwell on it. I mean, I'm neither biologically-sexless nor capable of reproducing without a partner, but I still call myself "asexual". Your nose isn't capable of dashing off your face, but you're gonna say it's "running" the next time you have a cold. Semantics can be tricky and it's best not to get too hung up on them, is what I'm saying.

Chocofreak13

i more wonder how the term came to be in this context. with euro-football, it's obvious, but i'm wondering why they called it as such in the us. i mean, basketball and baseball are obvious too, so it's just a curiousity.

hockey is confusing in that context, too. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Hockey - well, Ice hockey to be exact, and that part is obvious enough. At least it's not directly contradictory to its name - just another sports name, like "cricket".

Nichi

I honestly despise American Football as a whole, and much prefer soccer; much to the bafflement of dad, who grew up in the "DURR SOCCER MAKE NO SENSE; WHY THEY NO USE HAND?" generation -____-;

I mean, at least football makes sense. American "Football" is somehow more nonsensical than Calvinball

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

At least nobody I know of where I live is that much of an ass >_<

IMO that's worse than the dentist that gives out crappy toothbrushes that fall apart in your mouth. I don't mind when they give out decent toothbrushes, as it gives me a spare for when the one I'm currently using wears out, but they generally give out cheap ones like what is distributed to hospitals :\