Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simonorged

Spread that everywhere else then.
It's going to happen anyway so why not make it safer for everyone everywhere.
Frankly I still want nothing to do with it, but that's just me.
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

at the very least, you're not taking a moral stance against it, which i respect. their bodies, their choice, unless they were forced into it.
and if they were, legalizing it would help to eliminate that, at least somewhat.
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Sleepy: Thanks for the insights, I'd heard similar things about many Asian cultures but I had no idea how widespread it was and how much of it was rooted in stereotypes vs. reality.

@Simon: Thanks dude.

Re: Sex ed: I think I've said it before but I never had proper sex ed and my parents weren't exactly forthcoming on the matter.

I knew the basics of menstruation, that babies were made by "mommies" and "daddies" in something called sex and about pregnancy and childbirth by the age of 7 or so (the latter of which I half blame for my huge amounts of childbirth-phobia) and about the existence of masturbation, birth control and sexual crimes not too long after, but we never had any detailed talks about the mechanics of sex or "when you start having sex"-type discussion. Which I am IMMENSELY thankful for, since I found the whole subject painfully awkward and literally never thought about that subject or had any sort of sexual feelings until well into my teens. (And even then they weren't aimed at anyone.)

I mean, the closest thing was my father asking me whether or not I liked boys after I pretended a lesbian to get some skeezy-ass weirdo to stop creeping on me, and even then I could just stutter out a hesitant "Oh, yeah. Of course." because the question caught me SO DAMN OFF GUARD and I hadn't thought about it until then. :|

Chocofreak13

that's pretty advanced knowledge for a 7-year-old. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. As mentioned, the extent of my sex ed was "women have breasts; men do not". Because reproduction was never explained to me, I assumed that babies were made when a mommy "got fat" and then went to the hospital to place an order for a baby, in the same way one would order a pizza. Yay for homeschool?

As for anatomy, I didn't know the proper name for male anatomy until I was older, and once I started to learn more about sex, I assumed for the longest time (read: until I was at least 17 >_>;; ) that women had a single multi-purpose hole down there. I guess part of the reason I don't give a fuck about sex when compared to other guys my age is because I honestly knew so little about it for the longest time, and by the time I did learn what it was in full, I honestly didn't see it as being as important as the media makes it out to be; I just want someone to go on wild adventures with me, not someone to do naughty things in bed with :\

I hope I didn't cross the line for stuff outside the H section ^^;;

Bella

@Kari: Welllll, I only knew the basics, none of the anatomical details or anything like that. My mom had to explain periods to me because we had two female dogs at the time and, well, she didn't want me to think they were dying when I discovered they were bleeding (in estrous) one day. I don't ever remember believing any of the fairy-tales about babies being made, I knew "mommies" carried them inside their bellies and that there were pushed out of someplace between their legs, painfully ... I also had a plush dog that had a pouch in its belly for carrying its babies (I used to love playing vet with it by delivering its puppies, hahah), so maybe that cemented the idea in my mind. ^^;;;;

@Pent: Don't feel bad about the hole thing. Apparently a lot of people believe women have some sort of multipurpose vagina-with-pee-deposit exit, not realizing that the urethra and vagina are separate parts. It's funny, this just came up a few days ago on a tumblr i'm following ... a woman is engaged to a college-educated, sexually-active guy who's seen plenty of nether-parts and STILL never realized that there are three separate holes down there. Apparently he was mind-blown to discover otherwise. ^^;

As for sex ed resources, I know of several excellent sites. If you have any questions / curiosities I can point you in their direction. ^^

Nichi

I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever curious about more info :3

Chocofreak13

@bells: i had a kitty plush like that!! i still have her somewhere, at the very least i've managed to keep her poor kittens together. ;^;
@pent: baby = pizza. this is the new truth.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Shezow himself.
Spoiler: ShowHide

http://www.care2.com/causes/guy-learns-to-be-a-superwoman-in-new-cartoon.html#comment-5119430

The animated series follows 12-year-old Guy Hamdon (Sam Vincent, "Voltron Force"), a natural cut-up who fancies himself an extreme dude with his own macho catch phrase, "It's a GUY thing." Guy lives the dream of every rough-and-tumble boy when he discovers an awesome power ring, which transforms him into a mighty superhero. Pretty cool, but there's just one tiny catch — the ring that gives Guy his amazing superpowers was only meant to be worn by a girl and the result is absolutely she-larious. As the amazing crime-fighting SheZow, Guy must use his superpowers to battle mega-villains while sporting an outrageous female superhero costume, which actually ends up helping him on his own personal journey toward becoming one heck of a super man.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/05/28/Children-network-transsexual-superhero

Nothing says "child-appropriate material" quite like gender-bending underage superheroes. At least that's the theory over at the Hub, the network co-owned by Discovery and Hasbro, which is trotting out its latest soon-to-be-dud, SheZow. That show follows the adventures of a 12-year-old boy named Guy who uses a magic ring to transform himself into a crime-fighting girl. Yes, you read that correctly. When Guy says the magic words – "You go girl!" – he becomes SheZow, wearing a purple skirt and cape, as well as pink gloves and white boots.

What do you guys think?

Nichi

I intend on watching that when it premieres. I know it'll likely won't go over in my area (Because the overhyped series that is Duck Dynasty is obviously a work of genius), but I'm sure it'll find an audience elsewhere; it's such an interesting concept, even if webcomics similar in setup are floating out there.

Simonorged

@choco:(legal prostitutes) I do have a moral stance against it personally.
I just don't want to see people suffer for it. Besides just because I don't like prostitution doesn't mean it can't be somewhat legitimate, in the sense that people might actually like that line of work.

Chocofreak13

didn't i tell everyone about Shezow a couple weeks ago? i posted pictures. :\

i'm looking forward to the show, personally. it's breaking gender stereotypes and the stigma attached to cross dressers and transgender people.

@simon: i don't like catholic school teachers but i still support their right to do what they do. if they got anywhere near my kids, on the other hand, that's cause for war. >>;
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Kinda like that but not entirely, I've no room to judge so I don't.
People will do with their lives whatever they will and I have little to no power to change that.
I will not spend my time attacking them for what they or anyone else believes in.
Partially a treat others the way you wanna be treated thing, mostly a I actually give a shit about peoples emotional well being.

Bella

Re: SheZow: From what I've seen of it (which is only reviews and ads so far), it looks like a decent show - I mean, it has a novel storyline and may help dispel myths about femininity / femaleness being an inferior, less powerful or less capable state of being. (Maybe.) On the other hand, I doubt it'll teach kids about trans* issues or sensitivity toward trans* people, if only for the fact that the main character isn't trans*; as being transgender isn't determined by what clothes you wear, what clothes you prefer wearing or (in fiction) being gender-swapped or transported into the body of a person of the opposite sex.

Simonorged

This just in: Our web-nations security breached

Yahoo email accounts, Verizon phone records, and Facebook accounts, to monitor US citizens.
This is a problem because one, BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, and the US isn't the only ones on the internet. If they got ours they can get accounts from other nations.

Friends, please sound off.
http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/06/glenn-greenwald-on-the-nsa-and-prism-its-well-past-time-that-we-have-a-debate-about-whether-thats-the-kind-of-country-and-world-in-which-we-want-to-live/