Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

If they actually provide info with the pictures on how to help whatever cause they're promoting (For instance, if the image is on AIDS research, including a link to donate to a charity that supports AIDS research and treatment), than it's fine, but most of the ones I run into do not have info on how to help the cause; making it feel like it's just an attention grab, or "slacktivism", as some call it.

Chocofreak13

using another's pain to get yourself publicity is nothing new, but it's also nothing to be proud of. >>;
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

I really hate these things (">_<)

Some people are so insecure that they have to use 9/11 victims, people dying, teen suicides and such just to get likes on Facebook? It's really dumb. I understand if it's to raise public awareness or it has ACTUAL INFO AND LINKS, or even if the family set up a memorial page or something, but if it's just another of those "Like dis if u cri everytim" sort of thing just to get likes and attention, then you should feel ashamed of yourself.

Simonorged

To regard such things as disrespectful, would be an understatement.

Is it unhealthy for children to be raised by a single parent?
http://www.care2.com/polls/vote?pollID=25841#comment_form
Simon was here :P

LeaflameSD

As long as the child is getting support and good parenting from their Mom/Dad, then I think it's OK.

Simonorged

I don't really think it matters, I came from a family that had both parents and I don't think I'm better off than anyone else. It really depends on the mental state of the parent(s) or guardian(s). After all, youth tend to follow suit to their care takers in the early years.

Two heads are better than one, but one can manage just fine.

Edit: I was "raised" half way by my parents and the rest was all group homes and foster care.
I turned out quite well considering.

Chocofreak13

i wish i only had one parent (my mum). i probably would have ended up happier and better adjusted that way.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I don't see a problem with single parents. Sometimes I think if mom was out of the picture when I was younger, I might be better off for it today :\

NejinOniwa

What matters more - the things you are given, or the things you choose?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Simonorged

Well I guess that really depends.

Material Things
Things that are given.

They were free. Most of the time people treat things differently if they didn't cost anything, usually worse. But then when things are given they can have a level of sentimental value.

Things that are chosen.

They usually cost something to obtain. Most of the time when you have to pay for something you are protective of it. I am that way with my 3DS. You are more careful because if it were to break you'd be at a loss.

I'm gonna say the first one for the sentimental value aspect.

Chocofreak13

i like it when people give me their old stuff, since it's resulted in A LOT of anime collectibles that i otherwise wouldn't have had access to. but i also like choosing since if i had a choice i'd get cash for my birthday instead of gift cards to stores i never shop at. :\

of the bought/gifted items though, i think the gifted have more value to me, but then again, it really boils down to the item. take, for example, my Vincent Valentine and Deidara plushies. Vincent was a gift, while i purchased Deidara from ebay. both are about the same size, both were about the same price (Deidara was $45, Vincent plushes go for roughly $50 online), both are soft and snuggly and i'd be completely devastated if i lost either. so in this case, buying vs gifting doesn't really matter.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Does the same hold true for names, given and taken?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

ik there's some deeper meaning there, but i'm not getting it.

names don't have as much significance to someone who is known by a name they don't know themselves anymore.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Well lets see, I do enjoy my name. As it links me to my past (not that that's a good thing).
I have four names that I use every once and a while.

The one I was born with Gabriel
My internet name Simonorged
My female counter part (usually used for games that have a choice between both genders) Alexsis
And Alex, for those who refuse to say my name correctly IRL.

I wouldn't say anyone of them are any better. Just that It's good sometimes to be hidden.

Did I misunderstand the question?

Simonorged

Should parents have the right to refuse lifesaving medical procedures that doctors deem necessary for their children?