Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Any progress has a price that needs to be paid. Marie Curie paid it for the discovery of radioactivity. Do you believe we should ban the use of X-ray, just because people have died of radiation? That we should ban airplanes, just because people die in crashes? Might as well ban hydroelectrics, since you can damn well be sure people have died from floods when they break and occasionally falling in. NOTHING IS SAFE - only more or less risky. And with great power comes great responsibility - which is one of the BIGGEST advantages of nuclear power. EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMOTHERS know the destructive power of nuclear energy, so very few people will actually skimp on protocols when dealing with it. We know the risks, and they are enormous if handled badly - but comparing careless handling of chemical waste to the usually super-stringent protocols of just about any nuclear waste disposal facility in the world, is like comparing unmanaged garbage dumps to battery recycling. A small amount of greater risks are far superior to a greater amount of smaller risks, because the latter will inevitably fail sometimes out of negligence - whereas the former will ensure vigilance by sheer virtue of its threat.

Until we have reliable fusion powerplants, nuclear fission is still high on my list of favored forms of energy.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

YES. Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to get at, only way more eloquent.

Simonorged

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 18, 2013, 03:52:50 PM
@simon: I will swear as much as I please and if you don't like it don't quote me.
Also, a dessert? They were building on ice cream?
I said I was sorry, and it won't happen again, and about dessert I get the two mixed up sometimes.
Quote from: Bella on February 18, 2013, 04:56:54 PM
I'm sincerely curious - do you believe that one death is too many in the pursuit of any emerging technology?
No, if it is meant to help people, then I guess it's okay.
Simon was here :P

Simonorged

Nichi

Didn't we already go over gun control earlier in the topic? Not to be rude, but I think we covered that already

Simonorged

Sorry, I'm forgetful, How about a different topic then, any ideas?

Nichi

Not really, no. Maybe someone else will come up with something

Chocofreak13

health care in the us vs health care in the rest of the world.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

That's not a hot topic, that's a One Hit KO...

Chocofreak13

fine then. foreign policy in ones' country. go.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Sweden is doing its usual hypocrisy on that.

HURR WE ARE NEUTRAL AND PROMOTE PEACE BUT WE ALSO SELL WEAPONS TO SAUDI BECAUSE DURR

Pitkin

Our foreign policy brings freedom to all the peoples of the world, uniting the global population in a happy bliss that will eventually eliminate all social and economical issues.

Furthermore, internally our food crops are improving by each year, with the surplus being such that no one will have to suffer from famine in a few more years under the current administration. The best, however, in our wonderful government is that each and every citizen, whether he or she is sympathetic to the just causes of our Wise Leader, or a dangerous enemy of the state, he or she is free to express their views and think freely. I would like to propose a standing ovation to our government.

Chocofreak13

i can't tell if that's sarcastic or not. .__.;;;

american foreign policy disgusts me. the end.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

The ministry of truth? Sarcastic? Do you want to be arrested or something, K?