Yesterday Google commemorated Ada Lovelace...

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, December 10, 2012, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

yesterday for you, dude. it's still going on here.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

stewartsage

She's out there somewhere, watching the modern computing community with scorn.

Chocofreak13

or shame. probably shaking her head like, "where did we go wrong...."
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 11, 2012, 12:27:04 AM
or shame. probably shaking her head like, "where did we go wrong...."

I'd say sometime between 1950 and 1970, about the time women stopped, you know, being involved in the computer industry in any large numbers. :s

NejinOniwa

We went wrong when we stopped being magpies.

Seriously, nothing can beat the simple fabulousness of this bird. NOT EVEN Ada Lovelace.

Besides, they could probably give us a run for our money if we gave them a course in computer engineering or two...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Actually, the magpies are the smartest out of all corvids (crow family birds), so not really...

Chocofreak13

i wasn't aware they were part of the same family. but i've heard crows listed as the 4th smartest animal on the planet, after Humans, Orangutans, and Dolphins.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Weeeell. Crows are basically a generalization in that case - ALL corvids are extremely intelligent, and share the top spot among avians with certain species of parrot. Certain species have local edges over others, and different corvids have different ways of demostrating tool use - most are very comfortable with it. However, the magpie is special in that it demostrates self-awareness in Mirror Tests without any sort of training. Alongside the Jackdaw they also have the highest body-to-brain ratio (or more exactly size of a certain part of the brain responsible for higher forms of thought) of all avians, the same as humans and chimpanzees, and HIGHER than all other primates.

They're even smart enough to hijack threads...

Chocofreak13

*traps nej in birdcage* LOOK I CAUGHT ONE!!

(i think this thread is done. perhaps we should not derail it further.)
click to make it bigger