IBM announces cheap electronic-photonic chip...

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, December 10, 2012, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

But that's the thing - they already fabricated it in laboratories back in '10. What they've done now is to fit these chips onto an existing 90nm MANUFACTURING LINE - the same one used to make Wii/PS3/X360 processors, in fact. This dramatically reduces the cost, since it's actually a functional mass-production going on.

Bella

Chocofreak13

@nej: "cheap" is relative. a terabyte external 5 years ago was rich people territory. now a terabyte external is something most people can afford. but not all people. case in point, i got my 2tb external for free, and am now buying replacement parts on amazon for cheapo. just because you can make something cheap doesn't mean it'll be cheap on the market. new stuff is always more expensive, and new tech stuff even more so. maybe i'm being cynical about it, but just because the cake's ingredients cost around $5 doesn't mean i'm not gonna charge you $30.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Of course it's going to be pricey, and since their initial target market is supercomputers, it's probably gonna be at least a year or two before we can put these babies into our own machines. But the thing is, if the market accepts the product fast and well enough, there's gonna be more customers and more and more production, and with more and more efficiency. Which leads to lower prices. Which leads to more customers...and so on.

Of course the early adopters are gonna have to pay astronomical sums for this shit. But the guys who can wait a few months? Nuh-uh.

Chocofreak13

fair enough. but i don't expect it to be that quick.
click to make it bigger