Android and Bada app for os-tan wiki browsing

Started by Meis, November 12, 2012, 04:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meis

Hi guys,

I would like to port the Os-Tan Wiki as a mobile app for the Samsung Wave family and for android devices (since I could test it easily).

The app pricing will be free (english and italian, unless I have someone helping me with the translations of wiki pages) and open market.

The application will permit to consult the list of canon/non-canon os-tan list without having an internet connection.

Idea and suggestions are more than welcomed! :)

Thanks,
Simone

Pitkin

Hi Meis,

Like I told you in email, I'm all for your project, but would like to hear something from the Wiki contributors to greenlight it as well as they're the ones having put the actual work there so far. I've just followed from the side.

Cheers,
Pitkin

Fedora-Tan

OK for me, would appreciate if the app would be available also from the site here, then.
Also would appreciate that by free, it also means no ads or hidden things.

What would be different however than using a mediawiki style made for phones ?

Also, i think it's important our most intensive wiki contributors would say a word about this :)

Meis

Quote from: Fedora-Tan on November 12, 2012, 05:44:48 AM
OK for me, would appreciate if the app would be available also from the site here, then.
Android apk could be easily published and installed as long as the "Unknown sources" enabled on the phone even without passing the Android market.

Bada oap need some testing certificate installed on device so it could be installed by broker installer or once the app is ready on the Samsung Apps.

In the end, I have no financial interest for it so I'll publish the sources under BSD license.

Also would appreciate that by free, it also means no ads or hidden things.
Both adware and paid system, it requires a VAT number in order to receive any (legal) payments. I can't open a VAT number since my job position does not permit to open one and if I declare my app is free on the store, the manufacter store system (Samsung apps for instance) checks the presence of any ad service. So, no, pure beer :)

What would be different however than using a mediawiki style made for phones ?
Not really, since it is formely a wiki.  I could also use phonegap to encapsulate the wiki pages on the phone and use a "browser app" to check them but code/content cleaning is still needed. Looking the actual state of wiki, it is faster to use the phone default list to achieve better perfomance/space optimization (it will work offline). It must not be a complex app but a fast reference for the os-tan collection.
However, if you have some suggestion to enhace the bare app, just tell me.

Also, i think it's important our most intensive wiki contributors would say a word about this :)
Sure.

NejinOniwa

Quote from: Meispure beer

What? Upload one of these on the 'net?
I DON'T THINK YOU'RE TELLING THE TRUTH HERE

lel

All things said, this sounds pretty nice. Never know when you might need to access the wiki...
On a cruise ship...
While sailing across the atlantic...
On the subway in those deeper tunnels where you don't get reception...
At your mother-in-law's cottage 50 miles out in the middle of nowhere...
While skiing...
In the Sahara Desert...

...you know, it's a good idea I'm not the PR guy for this project XD
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

I think it might be pretty nice as well; after all, you never know when you might need to reference something involving a certain OS-tan, when you're writing a story during a long car trip and lack internet access

Meis

Quote from: PentiumMMX on November 12, 2012, 12:10:59 PM
I think it might be pretty nice as well; after all, you never know when you might need to reference something involving a certain OS-tan, when you're writing a story during a long car trip and lack internet access

Well, it could include also dōjinshi ..as long as it is not hard echii.. or ehm, more "dark side" of moe because I don't think the store will accept those ;D

(...actually, I was thinking about the Tōhō wiki some time ago but the Os-Tan wiki is more...focused :D ...)

NejinOniwa

Yeah, the Touhou wiki is a bit of a clusterfuck in all directions, really. Then again, the Touhouverse is a WEE BIT larger and more expansive than the OS-tan fandom, so yeah, it's pretty understandable...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Meis

Good, so I'll start coding the Bada app prototype next weekend, then.

The target app store will be the samsung apps store and the Aptoide store since there are the ones who don't require a tantum or yearly fee for uploading free apps.

Chocofreak13

any chance of an iOS app in the near future?

also, i have to say, i ADORE your username. idk if you got it from this source, but Meis happens to be the main character's name in one of my favourite JRPGs. ^^
click to make it bigger

Fedora-Tan

Archived. Please start another topic if necessary.