The Retrocomputing Thread

Started by Bella, April 28, 2010, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Started playing a truly ancient game today: the mother of all adventure games, namely Colossal Cave Adventure. The Fortran source I used is from 1977! :D Though it's actually running on pretty modern hardware, the PP250 with Solaris munches it with great delight. Also trying to get it to run on Farron but the HP Fortran compiler is picky!

Still I think it's pretty cool that a game written 35 years ago can still be made to run on today's OSes thanks to the sources :D

Bella

Ooooh, Colossal Cave Adventure! : o

Pitkin

Colossal Cave Adventure: 35 years of better dialogues and interface than in Skyrim.

edit: Forgot the interface.

Paul

true that xD
However I can't get that game to save properly -.-

Nichi

I've always wanted to play it :3

Bella

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 23, 2012, 08:57:42 AM
I've always wanted to play it :3

http://archive.org/details/200106-tops10-in-a-box

>Download PDP-10/TOPS-10 premade system
>Run
>Launch Adventure
>????
>PROFIT ADVENTURE!

Nichi

Thanks ^_^

Also, useless knowledge: The PDP-10 is as old as my dad xD

Bella

Do you mean this in a general way (the same way i can say my father is from the era of Harvard Mk I &ENIAC), or do you literally mean he was born in 1966?

Nichi

Bella

I see...

Was your dad also a central figure in Hackerdom perchance?

Nichi

Not really; he's more of a gearhead than a hacker ^_^;;

Bella

Well, we've certainly found where the similarities between him and the PDP-10 end, haven't we?

Nichi

True that ^_^;

So, here are some pics of the copy of SCO Unix I obtained. I'm not 100% sure if it's all here, but here's pics of everything there is, including some views of the sides of the main crate:

Bella

That looks pretty awesome .... tho SCO-tan may sue you for posting images of her without asking her permission first....