OS-tan Theory Revival

Started by Chocofreak13, January 01, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

joke or not, it was quite hurtful. the os-kuns are my cause célèbre here, and have been for several years, while most people couldn't care less about them. after all, i doubt that before i said this, no one besides me knew that there were not 3 but SIX XP-kuns.

as for the japan canon thing, that was also a bit of a stab, considering another thing i support is the paramount of japanese canon.

you gotta think of these things, man.
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I like the kuns, they honestly don't get enough attention.

How does computer has ethnicity?
Does japanese Apple tans has smaller eyes?

Bella

It wasn't meant to be a stab, nor was I trying to assert that one way of viewing the OS-tan universe ("canon"-centric vs. non-canon) is better than another, I was just telling you where my areas of interest lie.

Quote from: Krizonar on April 23, 2012, 01:42:55 PM
How does computer has ethnicity?

Hey, this topic came up between me and Stewart not long ago. I usually make my -tans the dominant ethnicity of whatever country their system is from. As for American OS-tans, I usually employ artistic license in making choices. For instance, CTSS-tan and GECOS-tan have always appeared Chinese and Japanese, respectively, in my mind, despite there being no real-world basis for these choices.

Similarly, DTSS-tan and Unix-tan have always seemed Russian to me, Multics-tan seems vaguely Spanish/Italian/Mediterranean, TSS/360-tan is Indian, MCP-tan and ENIAC-tan are most likely black and RSX-tan is right in the middle of ambiguously-Asian territory .... there's no reason for ANY of these choices, there's no reason for any OS-tans to have "race" in the traditional sense of the term (since they aren't human), it's just another one of those entirely random character details that pops into my mind.

(EDIT: If we wanted to get into headcanon territory, I've always viewed the old skool IBM-tans as mostly German [their German surnames reenforce this mental image], the CDC-tans seem largely Scandinavian [many of them are blonde-haired/light eyed, and they hail from a Scandinavian-dominated portion of the US], MTS-tan's always seemed vaguely Canadian and Germanic to me, and Linux-tan is an ethnic Swede despite being from Finland - though there's a real-world basis for this last one, and it's confirmed in Nej's stories.)

NejinOniwa

To be clear: Linux-tan is pretty much LT's daughter, and LT is a Fennoswede. As in, lives/comes from finland but is of swedish culture/language.

We have A LOT of different combinations on that theme...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on April 23, 2012, 08:44:51 PM
To be clear: Linux-tan is pretty much LT's daughter, and LT is a Fennoswede. As in, lives/comes from finland but is of swedish culture/language.

We have A LOT of different combinations on that theme...

So I had it backwards? I always assumed LT was a Finnish national of Swedish heritage. But Fennoswedes are Finnish people who retain Swedish culture and language, no?

NejinOniwa

Welp, something in that direction. Most have swedish heritage too, ofc, but there are some originally finnish families who have switched over, due to living in swedish-speaking provinces/cities.

I mean, Finland was part of Sweden for 600 years, so it's not really surprising...

Bella

Ahh, I gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying. ^^

Chocofreak13

i wasn't implying ethnicity when i mentioned japanese canon, just for the record. after all, they DID bring us the OS-tan USA. >w>;
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

This should be obvious, but firing a bazooka or Rocket Propelled Grenade (I'm pretty sure both are under the same weapon class) is illegal in California (among many other places... Found this out on an episode of MythBusters!). So if you go by the real world theory setting, apparently, System 6-tan's weapon of choice is illegal! Or maybe as she uses it as a melee weapon when she doesn't have ammo?

Bella

I'm guessing that most of the OS-tans' weapons/powers would be illegal in a real-world setting ..... o__o

NejinOniwa

Mac House is mafia, they're illegal anyway!

Krizonar

Chocofreak13

macs are illegal. the world feels like a better place. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Aurora: Now you have me thinking about other OS-tans who would violate laws with their weapons or powers!

OpenVMS: Seeing as a lot of places have laws against carrying pocket knives and the like, she'd be in big trouble, since she carries like a dozen knives. Not to mention the sword thing.
Pretty much all of the DEC-tans: Carrying swords.
DTSS: Mind-reading ability probably violates privacy laws.
ITS: Concealed firearms (though maybe she has a license/permit to carry them?)
Unix: Arson? Torture?
Inferno: Probably can't go anywhere without accidentally vandalizing property.

Chocofreak13

i get the feeling Pizza-tan would likely have more than one collar for assault. xD
click to make it bigger