The Captains review of "Bleach"

Started by CaptBrenden, September 19, 2005, 02:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

The fan sub series Im watching right now is "Bleach" subbed by Lunar.  Im at about episode 39 now and DAMN the show is awsome.  

The general overview of the show is the man character Ichigo has been able to see ghosts for as long as he can remember (so far back that when he was a kid he didnt realize half the people he saw were ghosts).  Anyhow, other then that seeming a bit strange he really has never thought anything about it untill one day his family is attacked by a strange skull faced ghost with a hole in its chest called a Hollow.  He and his family are saved by black robed samurai girl calling herself a "Death God"  (its the same concept as death, but instead of a skeleton with a syth and a black robe claiming souls, its a group of black samuri that send souls either to hevean(soul society in the anime)  or hell.)  

In the fight she is wounded and gives her powers to Ichigo so that he can fight off the Hollow.  The day is saved, but he seems to have taken all her powers, and cant give them back!  Now against his will she teaches him about the supernatural world and about his new job as a death god...

I highly recoment this anime! Its funny, full of action, riviting, and well animated!  Thats the thing that got me the most was how well animated it is (at least further into the series.)  Most made for TV series like this one have a very meger budget and the quality reflects that... but not this one.  It still isnt a one time series or Movies quality, but still its superub!  Decent frame rate, less cheating, no blateant animation errors, no over used footage (like sailor moon type transformations and attacks, or the DBZ characters wasting 10 minuts of show time an episode just yelling yarg and glowing... god i dislike those shows..)

Character design and art are good too.  They are all distinct and differnt, and even the many death gods who all wear black samurai garb all look unique and interesting!

Another thing I like about the series is how well they keep your attention.  The story advances slowly, (much like in DBZ where they had like 2 weeks of episodes for the 5 minute timespan till a planet explodes...) but unlike DBZ they tell the story in a way that it still keeps your attention.  Every night I come back to my room to see if I have a new episode downloaded as I fanaticly await the next!

If I had to list things I dislike about the series, Id list the lack of fan service at the top of my list.  There are a few cute girls in it to be sure, but it defintly is a guys anime.  Its mostly combat (where the good animation really shows through) and good story line but it dosent rely on cute girls to draw in the audiances.  

Over all, Its definitly one I will purcahse when it gets dubbed and put on DVD in the US.   Its a keeper!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

CaptBrenden

hehe XD

that explains why they sometimes show kon on the radio at the end of the episodes

Nobody

Q4(V)

Hey CaptBrenden wht epio are you watchin now, i'm watching  54

CaptBrenden

ive watched through 55, waiting for 56 to come out...

DrizzCat

So I'm going to have to downlaod this I think

Q4(V)

hey Capt this is a review right, because u can put in Reviews  â€¦ and if it isn’t I’m not here …

.... err don't think to many ppl go to reviews has there are none there ... lol

Xyanide

leave the topic here :)
anyway guys seeing as i'm pretty much ahead of you (namely the latest episode, 110)

yeah bleach is quite a good anime, animation quality fluctuates though

TIP:
when you get to the part where they start talking about "bounto" you may skip straight on to episode 110
The entire bounto chronicles (about 30 episodes) are nothing but fillers, you can watch it if you like but i found the quality of the story and animation pretty lacking compared to the rest of the series. Episode 110 is the continuation of the actual story again.

enjoy :)

Silentbob

The topic is kinda old... I think the captain has caught up to the most recent episodes by now.   ;)

Xyanide

guh didn't notice that haha sorry about that then,
anyway it'll be a tip to anybody new to the series in that case :)

CaptBrenden

Actually.. Im still at 64, as I went on deployment and then It got licenced. i havent downloaded any licenced animes. I guess Ill have to wait for the english release

Xyanide

CaptBrenden

<---- *only speaks enough japanese to say "this is delicious cake"

Xyanide

there are fansubs! and when released on DVD there's always language options right?