Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

played some GTA III today. :3 the hardest thing of the game? finding the save point again. :\
after that, played some bully. started a new game so i can make out with the boys and pinch me some ass. -w-
the thing i miss the most about playing a completed save file? not having to beat someone up every 5 seconds. :\ (and being able to go into town to buy better clothes.)
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

GTA III for me is by far the best game in the series.  I honestly don't know why.  The game lacks so much technically of what it successors possess (I would say San Andreas is by far the most impressive from a technical standpoint - hope they bring some of that for V), but nothing I've played since really feels the same as I did when I first played III.  I think the closest I've come to that feeling of awe was probably playing True Crime: NYC for the first time.  I don't know if it's the setting or how the games start off or what, but it was almost a kind of, for lack of a better expression, magical feeling.  Just something really intangible about those games that really hooked me from the very beginning.

@Penti:
YUNO get Morrowind?  Or have we talked about this?  I can't seem to remember. >,<;

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

i'm in agreement with you; they really nailed it with III. the only complaints i have with it are little cosmetic things, like how the save icon blends in with the map too much, and since that's the only thing i can come up with, it says how much i think of this game. :3
i love the ability to do things that aren't related to the game. do you have any idea how much cash i've made by driving a taxi? :3
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

You could do that in every GTA game since III, though.  You can also do that in just about every GTA clone as well.  If you ever get a current gen console, or play someone else's, I'd highly recommend you try Saint's Row II.  In some ways it's pretty weak and sophomoric, but it revels in that childish humor in a way that it's largely passable.  The main selling point for the game is the high degree of freedom that exists in it.  My main gripe is that there's not much choice to it story-wise, but it's not the kind of game you play for the story.

Chocofreak13

tbh, i barely follow the story in most video games. hell, in the case of disgaea, i made my own story. xD
click to make it bigger

CaptBrenden

god ive gotten so many games on the steam winter sale @ _ @ I realized today I even forgot to TRY some of them after they downloaded, like I have Dead Island and i havent given it a shot
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Nichi

@Dan: I actually started with Oblivion, then downloaded Daggerfall when I saw the developer released it as a free download on their site. Almost bought Morrowind, but never got around to it

IanDanKilmaster

@Penti:
Oh yeah, I do think I remember you saying that too.  D'oh >,<;

Well, whenever you're able to get it, you should definitely pick it up.  I'd say it's a pretty good middle ground between Daggerfall and Oblivion - somewhere in the middle of too all-over-the-place and too constrained.  I have my problems with the combat and spell system in that particular game, but there's so many other things about it that are actually really good.  I've never beaten the game, but I was able to come with very unique character builds each playthrough.

Nichi

I might buy it sometime. It's not too expensive on Steam, last I looked, so...

CaptBrenden

Tried Dead Island last night.. or ment to try it, ended up playing 4 hours past my "bed time" Its a better game then alot of people said. Im just fustrated on how fast weapons wear down.. srsly I should be able to kill more than 6 zombies with a meat cleaver before its horribly bent to crap. How does someone fix that anyways?

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, I think weapon durability is something only a few games actually manage to get right.  That's why I was a little disappointed they got rid of it in Skyrim.  Granted, weapons/armor degraded far too fast in Oblivion, but all they had to do was raise that threshold a good bit and it would have provided enough depth without being the annoyance it was before (freaking clannfear practically ATE your equipment).  Overall though, I don't think Skyrim is missing too much without it.

I'd say the FO games have an okay durability system, as does FarCry 2.

CaptBrenden

I love farcry 2s. First game ever Ive played where guns you find outin the middle of no where or off poorly trained militia are.. *gasp* not in good condition. I was even MORE stoked when the things would jam on me. As a gun nut, it always bugged me how reliability on dirty firearms is usually not included. ...now if only they hadnt made bastardized versions of weapons and put accurate depictions on. Huge pet peeve of mine is how guns will be "flipped" so the ejection port is turned towards the user so you can "see more shell casings zomg!" apperenlty the developers have never been whacked in the face with a burning hot casing before.

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: CaptBrenden on December 31, 2011, 09:15:19 PM
Huge pet peeve of mine is how guns will be "flipped" so the ejection port is turned towards the user so you can "see more shell casings zomg!" apperenlty the developers have never been whacked in the face with a burning hot casing before.

In all fairness, I personally only know one person who has ever experienced such a catastrophic firearm failure, and I think the devs were counting on that.  If the game were more realistic in that regard, I highly doubt the majority of the people playing the game would really be able to appreciate it.  The way it does work, however, more people readily identify because it feels more like something seen in entertainment.  Don't get me wrong, I would've preferred less sensational license with the weapons as well, because the game had already stepped over a lot of modern FPS conventions that would've turned off those more interested in a casual experience anyway.  Trying out a well-worn RPG-7 for the first time is probably my most memorable experience with the weapon decay system - firing off two rockets, only to have the third go completely apes**t and fly in an impossibly erratic set of rolls and loops was enough to make me pause the game for ten minutes of hysterical laughter.  That being said, I never fired a weapon long enough to have it fall apart on me as I compulsively sought out new weapons after an intense firefight and I generally stuck to firearms with high durability.

FC2 is definitely one of my favorite games though.  It makes me feel like Brock Samson with a case of pyromania.  Depending on the situation, I can sneak through the flora and occasional foliage to take out enemies silently, or use said plant life to start an inferno the likes of which only nature herself could match.  The latter method is definitely aided by the fact that enemies tend to keep lots of "explodium" near grenades, molotavs, and ammo dumps.

Chocofreak13

fire is always fun, unless you're frankenstein.

if i want good gun action, i turn to GTA III or 007 Goldeneye. :3
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

If I want some good gun action, I go down to the range, rent out the Thompson M1A1 Sub machine gun, load it up, and full auto that sucker until the bolt clicks or the target is nothing but the outside corners.

In other news, Dark Souls kicked my ass once again.