Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Seeing as we have a Computers/OSes general thread in here, this seems like something that should've been done a looong time ago (or has been done but since buried and locked so w/e).

In any case - POST YOUR GAMING STATUS, HABITS AND IDEAS AND WHATEVER HERE. I'm tired of using the weirdly named "whts playing" thread for that purpose -_-

Currently experimenting with Minecraft's latest more RPGesque functions, gaming Oblivion and waiting for Skyrim (11.11.11). LoL is on hiatus since I'm in stupid ELO HELL and can't get out (read: all teams have leavers and trolls and shitheads and russians who can't speak english and people who can speak english but refuse to fucking do so and so on). Holding up on my Deus EX:HR playthrough as well.

SO: WHAT IS GAMING, /OSC/?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Pitkin

Planescape: Torment. Same game studio as Baldur's Gate and practically the same engine (and RPG ruleset), but with a more interesting carrying idea. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the game interface, which feels unintuitive and stiffling, so so far every time I've continued playing it I end up taking a break after 10 minutes - the forecast doesn't seem extremely good for it, but I'm willing to give it a bit more time to convince me, if just for the sake of having a flying skull as a party member.

Nichi

At the moment, I've mainly been playing Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES, with the original Final Fantasy on the side. I have a few other games I'm playing on and off, but those are the primary two at the moment

Red-Machine

Lately for me it's been Dragon Age on Xbox 360 and Space Pirates and Zombies on PC.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

Right now I'm playing New Vegas, Oblivion (same reason as Nej), Infamous, Saints Row 2 (in preparation for The Third), and occasionally Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (not really all that great, but I enjoy playing it co-op with her), all of them on PS3.  The games are pretty much listed in order of predominance, especially NV since I play it nearly exclusively while alternating with the other titles on occasion.

I plan on starting my playthrough of Silent Hill 2 soon, as the timing seems right with Samhain right around the corner.  I might even be making a tradition of it, if this play goes well :3.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Dr. Kraus

Playing Battlefield 3 beta for both PC and Xbox360...

DICE needs to patch the hell out of this beta, its not playable on PC due to "99 Problems" (GET IT LOL) and its only OK in my book for the Xbox360.

I never asked for a crap beta...

NejinOniwa

All kids aren't ready for the "Cool Betas and Alphas" club, mah boi.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

I just started playing the first Fallout earlier. So far, trying to get the hang of the controls (Why can't I move my character using the arrow keys?)

IanDanKilmaster

Because the game operates like an tactical RPG while controlling like an RTS.  I'm not really certain if I can do a good job of explaining why it has to be that way, but basically, using the keyboard to control your character wouldn't really work with how the game is set up.  For one, a good deal of the motion of the game involves more than just moving along 2 axes, and diagonal motion isn't all that easy to do with keys.  There's also the pseudo-real time combat which relies on "action points" (you should be familiar with those from the VATS in the later games) for assigning turns, and that kind of system wouldn't really work well with keys either.  Honestly, I wasn't really fond of the first FO, but of course, I played it after having played FO3, so my perception was a bit unfairly skewed.  That's not to say the game doesn't have a lot going for it, the level of customization in assigning attributes and skill points is pretty great, I really wish more RPGs had that going for them nowadays

Nichi

So, I'm now getting back to MapleStory, after taking a break from it for most of the summer. In fact, because it's getting close to Halloween, I'm trying to decide on a costume for Gardenia (My main character)...

IanDanKilmaster

Haven't been able to really play Silent Hill 2, the disc keeps skipping.  It's not that badly scratched, so I'm thinking I need to have my XBox' lens cleaned again.  The only problem is, I don't have a lens cleaner here >,<.

stewartsage

Still can't play my Super Nintendo because no TV I get to has a remote.

Also: I keep getting distracted from my World of Tanks playing.  Not good when I have to make the cut for my clan before too long.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on October 12, 2011, 11:56:40 AM
Still can't play my Super Nintendo because no TV I get to has a remote.

Acquire universal remote?

(I need to buy one for the TV set in the living room, since its remote got ruined in the flood...)

stewartsage

That means I need to know what kind of TV I have.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on October 16, 2011, 08:48:57 PM
That means I need to know what kind of TV I have.

I thought universal remotes were universal. Like, you could go to a different galaxy and they'll work with the aliens' TV sets.

(I'm exaggerating, but I always assumed they worked with most contemporary-ish makes/models...)