Main Menu

Dreamcast Thread.

Started by Alex_Reetz, August 10, 2011, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

Gah... the DC controller... couldn't you have posted a pic of the console instead? ;-;

That out of the way, as mentioned in a separate thread, I am indeed a proud owner of a Sega Dreamcast.  I actually picked it up just before heading here to AR.  It was my aunt's, and she had it around for my cousins to play with so she could enjoy her NES.  That never really worked out though.  None of them really showed any interest in it, and it had this problem where the games wouldn't load up if you closed the lid all the way.  I was the only person who really knew how to get it to work, so she just gave it to me (after I declined to take it from her several times before).  I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it, because many of the DC games I was interested in had been ported to the PS2, XBox, or GC.  With a bit of indifference, I set about opening up the console to try and find out why it wouldn't load games.  I opened it up... and I fell in love.  I couldn't remember the last time I saw a console with such simple innards (it wasn't long before this I had dismantled a used PS3... several times... in a futile attempt to overcome the Yellow Light of Death... *bulging forehead vein pops*).  It was so beautifully uncomplicated - every working part was visible within such a confined space.  If I wanted, I could understand every working part within half an hour.  For once, I felt a feeling of "I could actually fix this thing!" - so I did.  It was a rather crude fix, the lever that causes the disc to spin wasn't properly contacting with the catch on the lid, so I just made some adjustments to make the lever bigger (I wrapped it in heat shrink).  So now it works like new.  Hell, I even removed the silly sticker had placed on it and cleaned off all the tobacco smoke residue.  I then found out about all the classic fighting games on Dreamcast and felt really satisfied that I had gotten it to work.

So it and the XBox came with me to AR, and now me and my gf have every major console of the sixth generation of video games.  Sadly, the only legit game for DC I currently own is a demo disc, and the games that I am interested in are not all that cheap to attain :/.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

I liked my Dreamcast, but after Sega found the remains of the verification servers for PSO and pulled the plug on them (Which I, and other people, where using as a backdoor past the game's tight security to log onto a fan-made server, ages after the official game servers shut down), I slowly found myself less interested in the system. Also, aside from PSO and the Sonic Adventure games, I really never found anything that interested me enough to make me want to keep the system, so I ended up selling it.

Now, I really liked the Saturn (It was a very nice system), but the games are so expensive compared to other classic consoles (Anything even remotely worth playing runs $30+ used in my experience)

Chocofreak13

likely because lots of gamers know the dreamcast, while few know the saturn. :\

that said, i'd look into getting a dreamcast if there was one local. there's a lovely used game shop a couple towns over from here. the next time i'm in the area i'll look. ^^
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

That's the thing about Dreamcasts, even though the better games are costly, the consoles themselves are pretty much dirt cheap.  Aside from the rarer black ones, at least >.>.  I would imagine you could find at least one at the nearest retro-gaming/gaming hobbyist stores (read: pretty much anywhere but Gamestop).  I've seen them for about the same price as a PS1.

Why couldn't they have designed their controllers better? ;-;

Also... shouldn't this thread be in the General Computers and Gaming section? oO

Bella

I found a Dreamcast controller at a yardsale...

Nichi

I was digging through my stuff, and stumbled onto my Dreamcast Web Browser disc. I remember being able to use it fairly well when I still had dial-up, as long as I stuck to the mobile versions of websites (It's browser wasn't advanced enough to handle most modern websites)

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Paul

I'm still extremely satisfied with my DC, Skies of Arcadia should arrive in a few days <3
Also I'd really love to get my hands on a BBA, but these things are EXPENSIVE!!!

IanDanKilmaster

Wow... I didn't even know there was a broadband adapter for the Dreamcast.  This is most certainly interesting news.

Well, the good news is, if you have a PC that has Win 98 installed, there is an alternative to buying that expensive device.

Chocofreak13

i'd like to try that, but it makes me wonder if there's anyone left to play with?
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

I would imagine you'd look online for forum-goers interested in playing Dreamcast games with you.

There's already a service called XLink Kai that lets you play PS2, PS3, PSP, XBox, XBox 360, and Gamecube online with anybody, so I'm sure there's communities out there of people who still play old consoles with basic online capabilities.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Must get, must play Rogue Squadron III and Top Gun online.

Bella

My idea of multiplayer gaming involves a chess match with my computer... .__.

Chocofreak13

aw, not even that skype changeling game registers as multiplayer for you? :[

@stew: someday :3
click to make it bigger