Main Menu

Favorite Song?

Started by CanaryTan, January 30, 2011, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i have "Worlds Collide", from the THPS2 soundtrack. i think that game dropped in the late 90's. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, I think everyone has heard that song.  It's from Tonight the Stars Revolt!, which is a pretty good album.  The two albums that I mentioned are from when they dropped the industrial sound for a more straight-up hard rock or "alternative metal" *cringes* style.  I'm sure you've heard of Rob Zombie, the frontman for PM5K is actually his brother.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

really? that's so cool. *w* rob zombie is cool, though he's another artist i only have one song by. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Dragula?

Hellbilly Deluxe is a badass album.  If you like any of the songs from it, then they're all really good to listen to.

Just so you know, PM5K and Rob Zombie are very similar sounding, but they each take on slightly different subject matter.  Zombie is a horror freak, and his brother loves scifi.

Chocofreak13

i could tell.

and the song i have by Zombie is "Living Dead Girl." :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

The only Rob Zombie songs I have (Well, White Zombie, but hey; he was their lead singer) are Thunder Kiss '65 and Black Sunshine; both of which are awesome

Chocofreak13

judging from the titles, they sound it. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Metal.... isn't my thing .W.;

I'd like to get into Explosions In The Sky, but the sheer epicness of the band is intimidating to me. (I have the same issue with Porcupine Tree and Sigur Rós). It's like, unfitting to listen to while doing something as mundane as sitting in front of a computer... I should be, like, snowboarding a black diamond or preparing to skydive or at least composing some great work of literature or some shit listening to them.

Has anyone else had this problem?

NejinOniwa

I started being a metalhead at age 9...so no. ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

Black Sunshine is so good.  I especially love how Iggy Pop does the awesome spoken word intro.

@Bella:
It's fine if you're not into metal.  I didn't really get into it until I was in college.  Before that, I had an ex that was really into it, but it was just too abrasive to me.  For me, it took a few "gateway bands/songs" (A Perfect Circle, Korn, System of a Down) before I could really enjoy the really brutal stuff (Slayer, Acid Bath, Soilent Green).  Nowadays, for someone new to the genre, I'd probably recommend something like The Sword (c'mon, one of their songs actually made it into American Dad) or Opeth (seen 'em live, very epic listening) based on a very scientific accessibility:awesomeness ratio, but pretty much any melodic metal (where there's lots of singing in-between the guttural growling or visceral screeching) is a really good starting point.  Also, when I say Opeth is "epic" listening, I mean it in a very literal sense - expect songs reaching in excess of 10 min often.  Now if you'll excuse me...

~Ghost of... Mother~
~Lingering Death~

Nichi

I got into metal when I was about 4 or so; starting with the tamer stuff (Sammy Hagar, Ratt), before moving onto heavier stuff when I was 12 (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest)

Chocofreak13

my dad loves offspring and metallica, and me and my sister would listen to it with him when we were kids. that's where it started, lol.

@bella:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJ8e9sP7gc

an amv my friend made to "Evolution" by Korn, one of my favourite harder songs. :3
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Lucky you, Pent.

My family was more reserved with their music tastes.  The "hardest" music I grew up with was Creedence Clearwater Revival, if you could even call it that.  Granted, I like CCR to this day, but it would've been nice to have been introduced styles of music other than Country, Gospel, Classic Rock and Pop before having taken art appreciation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWoc7g7PyM

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 16, 2011, 10:25:55 AM
@bella:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJ8e9sP7gc

an amv my friend made to "Evolution" by Korn, one of my favourite harder songs. :3

That was pretty good.

As for music I was exposed to growing up...hmm... I specifically remember listening to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The B-52s, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, Warren Zevon, Marvin Gaye, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sheryl Crow and Deee-Lite, as well as classic rock and pop, grunge, 80s/90s dance and old school hip hop in general. (Via either my parents or brother).

And I really loved this song as a little kid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdPQp6Jcdk

It's also worth noting that two of my favorite genres as a young child were jazz and classical... heh. -w-

Nichi

@Dan: My dad had been a metalhead for years, so being introduced to rock and such was no problem for me : )