Main Menu

Recipes

Started by Chocofreak13, May 11, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

I said i'd make it, and though i've been putting it off, here's the OSC recipe thread. feel free to post whatever recipes you like here, as long as it's not deadly. :3

to get it started, a few i have lying around:
Moroccan Carrot Soup

*  2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    * 1 cup chopped white onion
    * 1 pound large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 2/3 cups)
    * 2 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    * 1 tablespoon honey
    * 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    * 1/2 cup plain yogurt, stirred to loosen

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Mix in carrots. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Stir cumin seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes; cool. Finely grind in spice mill.

Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in blender until smooth. Return to same pan. Whisk in honey, lemon juice, and allspice. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle yogurt over; sprinkle generously with cumin.

My Specialty: Apple Pie

Pastry Crust for 9" pie (2 crust; recipe will follow)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (opt.)
dash of salt
6 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 6 medium; i prefer to cut them into cubes rather than slices)
2 tablespoons butter (can substitute with margarine, but idk why you'd want to)
(* if using self-rising flour, omit salt.)

-Prep-
Heat oven to 425* F. Prep pastry crust. Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, & salt. Stir in apples. Turn into pastry-lined plate; dot with butter. Cover top with crust, cut slits in top crust. Seal and flute (basically just seal the crust edges together). Cover edge with 3" strip of aluminum foil; remove during last 15 minutes of baking. Bake until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust (40-50 minutes).

-Crust for 9" 2-crust pie-
2/3 cup +  2 tablespoons shortening or 2/3 cup lard
2 cups all purpose flour*
1 teaspoon salt
4-5 tablespoons cold water (more if needed)
(*if using self-rising flour, omit salt. crust will differ in flavour and texture.)

Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl. Gather pastry into a ball; divide in half and shape into rounds on a lightly-floured board. Roll pastry 2" larger than inverted pie plate w/ floured rolling pin. Fold pastry into quarters (i usually skip this), then unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Place second round aside, rolling out when bottom crust is filled with filling of choice.

there are variations on the apple pie (such as dutch apple pie, french apple pie, etc) that i can post on request. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

I totally missed this thread. This is what happens when people post too much. @___@;;

I should post my recipe for Russian Teacakes aka Snowball Cookies....

...except I think those qualify as "deadly". >__>;

Nichi

One of my simpler recipes is homemade hamburger helper; which actually makes a lot more food than actual brand name version (There's enough for myself and both of my parents, with enough leftovers to cover lunch at work for two days). All there is to it is:

- 1lb lean ground beef, thoroughly cooked and drained (Can be substituted for any other kind of ground meat; like turkey)
- A box of deluxe macaroni & cheese (The kind that comes with the cheese sauce; not that cheap powdery stuff)
- Whatever seasonings you want in it (Wither it be as simple as salt & pepper, or as elaborate as adding some well blended tomatoes and green chili peppers; the latter being one of my favorite things to add)

It's quite good, although it does take a little more effort than the actual brand name version (Of course, it's not that much more you have to do; just boiling the pasta while cooking the meat).

zjhentohlauedy

Easy spaghetti.

- 300grams of spaghetti
- 200grams of tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
- an onion cut into thin strips or minced
- a can of corned beef
- bit of oil

boil spaghetti, drain. in a frying pan fry onions till slightly browned, then add the corned beef. break down the corned beef and continue frying. add the tomato sauce and start mixing it. add your favorite spices, herbs, salt, pepper and stuff. then mix in the pasta and top with cheese.

works when you're really lazy but craving for spaghetti
My my, aren't you lovely~

Chocofreak13

@zen: that sounds suspiciously like my mom's spaghetti sauce. :3 i'll have to post it so you can compare >w>
@pentium: what sort of macaroni do you reccomend?
@bella: i'll try to find my recipe for cookies of evil if you post that deadly recipe. >:3
@genpop: i'm glad to see this thread didn't go under. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Choco: I'd suggest going for Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe, or a similar store brand; it comes in a differently-shaped box and has a packet of cheese sauce instead of a cheese powder (So it doesn't requite butter or milk in the mixing process; just pour in the sauce and stir). It's a bit more expensive than the regular mac, but I think it's worth paying extra for.

Nichi

That last one sounds like something by brother-in-law likes to do; put mac & cheese on his burger

Chocofreak13

the mac and cheese pie sounds good for my sister's boyfriend. he doesn't eat fish or vegetables/fruit. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Maybe he should be introduced to fish custard? Speaking of, I should figure out a recipe for that and attempt to make it...

Chocofreak13

no. i'd try that, but i know few people besides me that are that adventurous when it comes to food.

Spicy Boneless Spareribs

2 lbs (.9 kilos) boneless ribs
1 cup (240 ml) dark brown sugar
1/3 cup (79 ml) ketchup
3/4 cup (177 ml) chili sauce
1/4 cup (59 ml) soy sauce
1/4 cup (59 ml) worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup (59 ml) whiskey
2 tbsp (30 ml) ground mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) instant minced onion
pepper

Combine all ingeredients in a large pot and bring to slow boil. Simmer for 45 minutes. Double wrap ribs in aluminum foil, place in a 9x13" (23x33 cm) baking dish and bake for 1 1/2 hours, in a 350*F (175*C) oven. Remove ribs from foil. Place ribs in a roaster and bake uncovered for 45 minutes in a 350*F (175*C) oven.

(when i made these, i skipped the last bit of baking, and they turned out fine--and spicy.)
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

BY THE POWER OF ME, THREAD NECRO!

DEMON'S DECADENCES

Weight ratio 1:1 chocolate:biscuits for paste - usually 400g/14oz of each is a good batch. So:
400g/14oz White Chocolate
400g/14oz Digestive Biscuits, Oatmeal Cookies or similar (read section below)
Lemon Juice
Whipping Cream
Blueberries
(Oats)

Take white chocolate. Break into squares. Put in double-boiler (or ceramic boil in water-filled casserole) and melt very carefully.
Once melt, add lemon juice - this will make it start to crystallize. Don't let it. Bit by bit, add lemon juice, stir and get it softer. Once/if it gets so hard you can't work it anymore, add a significant amount of lemon juice and work in. This will make the chocolate soft and make it separate from the chocolate's innate fats and oils. ONCE THE CHOCOLATE HAS SEPARATED ITSELF, REMOVE FROM BOILER.
Take cream. Whipping cream, not whipped cream. The liquid, fatty, off-white stuff. Take it out of the fridge and have ready.
Now, take cookies - the original recipe uses Digestive biscuits, but I've tried with oatmeal cookies as well with favorable result. An important note: use plain cookies with little flavoring, preferably sweetmeal biscuits (like digestives) or the like - NOT chocolate chip or something in that direction. Also, try to get something that is very dry (like digestives), so that it can absorb the cream better. Oatmeal cookies work just as well, but the paste will be horribly slimy to work with, while the finished product will be somewhat softer and easier to chew. Whether this is good or bad is up to you to decide, though.
IMPORTANT NOTE: WHILE MAKING/WORKING THE COOKIE PASTE, ALSO WORK THE CHOCOLATE. WORK IT SO THE SEPARATED LIQUID GETS BACK INTO THE REST OF THE CHOCOLATE; DO THIS AT LEAST 3 OR SO TIMES WHILE WORKING THE PASTE.
Mash cookies to bloody oblivion and little pieces using a grinder your fists. Once they are properly pulverized, carefully add cream until you have a workable paste that keeps its shape and stays together; or in the case of oatmeal cookies, a slimy mess. Keep in mind though that it still must be somewhat capable of keeping its shape. Then add a bit of lemon juice and work into the paste/slimy mess.
Take a plate, box or something else to store the Decadences in (in case you have something that breaks when frozen, don't use that). Place paper forms - like those used for cinnamon buns, cupcakes, muffins or whatever you prefer - in your preferred type of arrangement (usually, rows works fine).
Now, take the chocolate. Work the liquid in a last time, then put in the bottom of the paper forms (half a tablespoon or so each, but you'll notice what's a good amount to use - unless you're a total idiot, of course). Then, take paste (normally, roughly double the amount you used of the chocolate - but again, you will notice how much is good to use) and put atop the chocolate. If the paste is not enough, top with oats. Once that has settled in, put blueberries on top of the Decadences, and splash a little lemon juice on the blueberries.
TAKE DECADENCES. PUT IN FREEZER OR OTHER ENVIRONMENT OF ~ 0F/-17C. IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO DO THIS IN THE WINTER AND HAVE SNOW OUTSIDE, PUT A TINY BIT OF SNOW ON TOP FOR GENERAL SPARKLINESS AND AWESOME.
LET REMAIN IN COLD FOR SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF TIME (simply put, as long as it takes for the stuff to freeze).
Take out and serve with tea and blueberry cream (take blueberries, microwave until melt, mix into cream while whipping).
FEEL LIKE A BOSS.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

tried them. they're good. ^^

today i made banana bread from a friend's mom's recipe. pentium asked, so here it is!

1 ¾ cups flour
1 ¼ cups sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ cup + 1 tsp water
1 overripe mashed banana (2 if small)
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup chopped walnuts (opt.)

Combine all ingredients, beat well. Pour into a loaf pan lined with wax paper. Sprinkle sugar on top before baking. Bake @ 375℉ (about 175℃) for 45 minutes to an hour untill done. (Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the loaf. if it comes out clean, it's done.)
click to make it bigger