OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 17, 2011, 06:24:17 PM
Thanks!

I wouldn't have guessed that LINC was there the whole time. I thought she would have been dishonorably discharged for being a conscientious objector long before DEC's demise!

Then again there were a lot of conscientious objector DEC-tans..... basically ALL the hardwares. >>;

(Well, LINC, PDP-1, PDP-8 and PDP-10 confirmed, and let's not forget PDP-7, who, you know, helped raise Unix-sama and all) <<;;

I don't imagine any of the PDP-tans as being a part of their military, maybe they all got  dishonorably discharged? ^^;

Aurora Borealis

I'd imagine that PDP-7-tan wouldn't be well-respected by the other DECs for raising who would be one of their biggest enemies. (She unleashed a monster upon the world! :P )

What kind of caregiver would PDP-7 have been to UNIX, since I remember that UNIX was essentially an orphan who was despised by her peers.

stewartsage

Well, LINC is basically the Surgeon General of the Army so they couldn't get rid of her.  Dearly though they wish they could've.

Aurora Borealis

Here is EvilEntity-tan!

Bella

Oooh! EvilEntity-tan looks great! I especially like her expression, you've good at capturing deviousness... ^^

@Aurora: I'm not sure what kind of caregiver PDP-7-tan would be to Unix.... especially considering that Unix was pretty quickly ported over to the PDP-11. "Midwife", maybe, sort of like GECOS-tan?

@Stew: Heheh, LINC was Surgeon General... ^^

Semi-OT question: Who married LINC and PDP-8-tan? I have a weird mental image of TSS-8 being the minister at their wedding, but my timeline might be way off. >>;;

stewartsage

Let's see, it would've been about 1966 so how does that work in to your timeline?

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on July 20, 2011, 03:21:12 PM
Let's see, it would've been about 1966 so how does that work in to your timeline?

IIRC, TSS-8 wasn't produced until 1967. >>

Maybe TOPS-10 did it then? Or PDP-10-kun.....

Chocofreak13

@aurora: GOD I NEED TO MAKE A PLUSHIE OF THAT ;v;

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

@Bella and Choco: Thanks! EvilE-tan's new design is based off of Bella's original sketch, and inspiration for new elements came easily! Of the Linux distro-tan redesigns I'm doing, EvilE-tan turned out to be my favorite at least so far! :)

I don't know about PDP-10-kun, since I don't remember his character details, but I could imagine TOPS-10 being the minister at LINC's and PDP-8's wedding.

Update: PDP-10-kun was later replaced by a PDP-10-tan who also represents PDP-6, the DEC mainframes, though at this time, it's undetermined whether the PDP-10-kun remains, or if he was dropped out of the continuity.

TSS-8, OS/8 and RSTS are PDP-8's children, and LINC's godchildren, right?

Some new wiki avatars:

I did a slight redesign for VAXELN-tan, I changed her hairstyle a bit to give her more of a resemblance to VMS-tan and NT-tan. :P

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 21, 2011, 10:11:37 PM
I don't know about PDP-10-kun, since I don't remember his character details, but I could imagine TOPS-10 being the minister at LINC's and PDP-8's wedding.

TSS-8, OS/8 and RSTS are PDP-8's children, and LINC's godchildren, right?

TOPS-10 would make a good minister, but then again.... PDP-10-kun..... I can totally see him volunteering to perform the nuptials at a lesbian wedding. XD;

Yeah, the PDP-8 OS-tans are all PDP-8's kids. Which is odd, since we didn't used to think that a hardware-tan could beget an OS-tan child - but I guess Whirlwind-tan and her brood of hardware and OS-tan children paved the way for other brave species-hopping pioneers. ^^;;

Does this mean all the PDP-tan hardwares are "responsible" for their native OS-tans? Like PDP-11-tan being the mother of DOS Batch 11-tan and RT-11?

As far as the avatars go - I'm really loving your take on ITS-tan and VAXELN! Ultrixs looks good too, I see a strong resemblance to her mom. ^^

Say, have BeOS and NeXTSTEP-tan been given annex bios yet? It's sad two of the more influential niche OS-tans have been ignored for so long.... (especially considering that 1. BeOS-tan is semi-based on Yuki Nagato, who is win, and 2. NeXTSTEP is the one responsible for the OSXen)

Aurora Borealis

I don't remember PDP-10's characterization, can you give me a referesher?

Considering that the OS-tans/hardware-tans/etc.-tans are all artificial humans, couldn't it be possible that species-hopping engineering is possible? :P

Seems like it'd make sense for the PDP hardware-tans to be the mother to their respective OSes.

Those two don't have bios yet. :(

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 21, 2011, 11:11:29 PM
I don't remember PDP-10's characterization, can you give me a referesher?

Considering that the OS-tans/hardware-tans/etc.-tans are all artificial humans, couldn't it be possible that species-hopping engineering is possible? :P

Seems like it'd make sense for the PDP hardware-tans to be the mother to their respective OSes.

Those two don't have bios yet. :(

Here's PDP-10's bio so far:

Quote-Born in the mid/late 1960s
-The son of PDP-6
-A conscientious objector in the form of LINC and PDP-1, he defected from the DEC military early on
-Also like LINC and PDP-1, an academic who spends most of his time hanging around universities (notably Stanford, CMU and MIT)
-One of the heroes of the Elder Days of Hackerdom
-Associated with TOPS-10 (and later, TOPS-20), ITS, WAITS, Emacs and TECO-kun
-An archetypal Hacker, comes off as hippiesque
-One of the few DEC mainframes; the first popular one since PDP-1
-Physically tall, shaggy, bearded, wears glasses, shorts, tie-dyed shirts, sandals and labcoats regularly.

Species-hopping engineering is entirely possible, it's the entire reason OS-tans exist in the first place (since it was originally only hardware-tans). I've just never considered the implications of *relatively modern* (by which I mean 1960s) hardware producing OS-tan offspring before.

Yes, I second that notion about the PDP-tans being the mothers of their respective OSes.

We must make them bios~ but I know nothing about BeOS, and very little about NeXTSTEP-tan...

Aurora Borealis

I still need to dig up the character details I have for NeXTSTEP-tan, but here are proposed details for BeOS-tan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS

BeOS had superior abilities to the competition but was not properly marketed, attempted partnerships not founded until it was too late. Trying to be proprietary like the Mac (only runs on company-made hardware) failed because a market wasn't created for it. Be had poor planning and poor understanding of the market: Appealing only to hardcore geeks (hardly profitable because it is a small niche), not coming in the form of a server (was a personal computer operating system in a time where server OSes were on the rise), and nearly lacked internet connectivity. Apple tried to make Mac OSX based off of BeOS but was much too difficult.

The later Classic Mac-tans, Windows-tans and NeXTSTEP-tan are commonly blamed by others to be BeOS-tan's demise, however BeOS-tan brought her demise on herself. Her skills and efficiency were top-notch, she is a genius with amazing potential but failed due to lack of showing off. Her abilities appealed to a select few (the hardcore geeks!) but not the general public.

So I think that BeOS-tan is very quiet, overly modest and seeks isolation from the general public and because of her isolation, she was largely uninformed about the competition and underestimated it. She would be slow to react, a bad judge of character, not like working in groups, and much prefers working with one person at a time and her favorite kind of people are the 'geeky' type.  I think she'd be friends with QNX, IMSAI 8080, and maybe TRON.

In the 90's, she was involved in some deals with the Mac-tans, to be their successor and be the new branch of their dynasty. BeOS-tan herself had an uncertain future at that point, and so did the Classic Macs. Even if their faction survived, they were aware that their bloodline was getting less viable to continue, and they'd have to merge with another lineage to continue the Mac dynasty. But the deal fell through. She turned to the Mac Clones for help, with success until the clones were forcibly retired.

A system with almost no customizability appearance-wise, she doesn't like to dress up... or so she claims. She likes to cosplay in secrecy, referencing the easter egg that allows BeOS to change window themes.

She is a musician and excellent multitasker. Being partially POSIX-compliant and able to run BASH, she can use some Unix-style sorcery, but mainly wields a huge broadsword.

She has at least two daughters/clones: Zeta and Haiku. Of them, Zeta is an unauthorized BeOS derivative who she disowned. Haiku is acknowledged, but BeOS still remains fairly distant.

Bella

So............. she's the Yuki Nagato of the OS-tanverse? >3>

Unimaginably smart, but doesn't really, do anything. Or say anything. Or interact with people. Until she does...... |D

Anyway - Yay! Thanks for typing that up Aurora, that helped me get a better handle on her personality. I'm kinda bummed that more hasn't been done with BeOS-tan, since, as far as niche OSes go, BeOS is one of the more "famous" ones. :/

stewartsage

Does that mean Tiger is Haruhi, System 7 is Kyon, and.... someone for Itsuki.

I really need to send you that DEC military stuff Aurora-dono.