Main Menu

8-tan

Started by Tenkohime, June 22, 2011, 09:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiso

She can't even if Futaba wanted it to... hard... really hard. The style of gijinka for OS-tans and pretty much every other mascot character reeks of moé... changing the formula for pretty much guarantees lack of support of the design unless someone can make it really moé. Then again, the Japanese otaku have been on this "creepy" streak since the 90's and have been one-upping one another since then. wouldn't surprise me if they somehow changed views on what constitutes moé and decide to make 8-tan with crooked teeth (ew... really).
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Bella

As somebody with less than straight teeth, I am offended, man. _-_

Kiso

Yeah... that's what happens when I loose important stuff... I drag everyone down with me. Sorry I'm more of a troll than usual (not that I am a troll on this site).
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Chocofreak13

@bella: he means like this.
@kraus: i agree with you that this one is wtf worthy. i also agree that this won't stop the moe trend, and that moe with uber bad teeth WOULD be creepy. ><;

i had a design for 8 around, but i lost it (i'll draw another at request).

she was a young, kuudere/tsundere-ish mod girl with a touchscreen dress, hat, gloves, and boots. she initially hates it when people touch her, but inside she might be thinking "そのくすぐり~♥" ("sonokusuguri~♥" "that tickles~♥"). she can be serious, and both user friendly and unfriendly, depending on who she's talking to (i doubt any of us would take to 8 quickly, but an inexperienced person might do better). her clothing is a frosty translucent-white, with applications floating around on it.
click to make it bigger

Tenkohime

Chocofreak, drawing it sounds like a good idea. When I finish my last commission, I'll draw one too.

I also found out the artist who drew the ones I posted is Shimaharuki and on Pixiv.

Chocofreak13

well, i'm not sure if i like them, lol. xD
click to make it bigger

Kiso

There are newer renditions on Pixiv, although I have no particular interest in them (most are simply Vista/7 rehashes).

There is this though. (pixiv link)... it isn't even Windows 8 though. It just keeps making me stop searching and just stare at it.

Hmm... I suddenly have the feel to draw on paper (haven't done that in a long, long time) because my computer has no Photoshop equivalent with full Wacom support. Anyone got ideas on what should I make... preferably topic-related?

Chocofreak13

dude. get gimp. tablet support ftw. ~

and as for 8-tan, my design tried to play up the fact that she's made for tablet PCs, and the whole 'touch' factor.

you could also try to play on her personality, since i'm not sure i did that enough. given that it's solely a tablet PC, with nothing but applications to start, it'd likely be better for brand-new computer users, vs people like us who are used to a desktop enviroment.

i picture her having trouble communicating with the other OS-tans. xD
click to make it bigger

Kiso

I just don't want to install Photoshop until I fix my laptop's HDD. The one I'm using is for backups and I don't really want to waste time doing the same thing twice.

- OT -

Well, what I gather so far is a rather dual nature in Windows 8. It's like there's two ways about with with everything. Architecture (Intel or ARM), input method (KB/mouse or touch), UI state (Traditional Desktop (likely with a new theme) or the new Metro/Cosmopolitan start screen). A personality based on that would either make her completely SPD or we'd have to have something like twins. Whichever way this 8-tan, we could use that and play both extremes.

Personality A could be the more traditional of the two (x86/x64, KB/mouse, traditional desktop/apps, etc) all without going outside of the theme of what the next windows is going to be (Intel does plan to have lower power chips for tablets). Then there's Personality B, with her more modernist attitude (ARM, touch input, lightweight/gesture-based apps, etc). Though these personalities would lean to their respective interests, both would share many things in common (like sense of style), and would likely be able to communicate well with others that may have their same way of thinking (anyone capable of using the .NET Framework or its equivalent?), which is likely going to be not that many people.

I could go for the twin thing, we're overdue for that... or at least I think so. Seriously, will 98 and SE be the only twins in the family? Also, I'd really like to see more adult twins... something that's quite lacking in my eyes.

Chocofreak13

there are adult pics of the 98 twins. and they only qualified for twins because of the multiple OSes.
technically, the XPs could be counted as triplets.

i like the idea of 8-tan having a split personality, down to having a 2-tone colour scheme. ik it's a bit overdone, but we don't hjave any OS-tans like that yet, so it'd be interesting to try. :3
click to make it bigger

Kiso

So... I actually decided to download GIMP... and man it was the most... annoying raster software ever. Why it is using the multiple-window model is beyond comprehension. It should be using the single-window with docks model (like Photoshop has been doing since CS3), cause the current system gets in my way too damn much. Also, it needs more Wacom support OOB (fucking erasers is there for a reason).

Anyhow, I decided to draw heads on GIMP, and I think I came up with something that half way resembled what I was thinking Hachi-tan should be when I first thought of it... a few color strokes afterwards, and I think I liked what I did. One uses the background color from the Start Screen, and the other uses some colors seen on default Windows 7 installs, as shown in the platform preview. I don't think that's going to be default by the time of release though, so I am not sure whether or not that should go.

But see for yourselves:

By the way, both the twin concept and the split personality concept apply at this point. Also, I still need to heavily moefy the concept, but that might take ages cosidering I had been not keeping tabs on my drawing skills.

Bella

Quote from: Kiso on July 17, 2011, 05:21:25 PM
So... I actually decided to download GIMP... and man it was the most... annoying raster software ever. Why it is using the multiple-window model is beyond comprehension. It should be using the single-window with docks model (like Photoshop has been doing since CS3), cause the current system gets in my way too damn much. Also, it needs more Wacom support OOB (fucking erasers is there for a reason).

1. Go to favorite torrent site
2. Find a version of Photoshop CS + key
3. ??????
4. PIRATE PROFIT.

Or I suppose you could do the legal thing and buy Photoshop Elements... I started to tire of GIMP's shenanigans and finally switched back to using Photoshop CS4, the difference is night and day. The tablet support is a lot better, and it's faster too. Of course it's also a fsckton more complex, using PS is like being behind the controls of THIS:

When what you're used to is this:

But let's face it, no matter what the GIMP supporters say one of them is obviously the technologically-superior creation.

If you don't want to use Photoshop, I suppose you could always give MyPaint a try... I would, but the devs have yet to make an OSX version (being Mac-hating bastards, I suppose).

Kiso

Yeah... I'm on the process of BTing Adobe CS5.5 MC. I couldn't take the UI after having been used to Adobe's software. But anyhow, I'm going to (try to) keep radio silence to keep this thing from going OT.

Chocofreak13

i don't want this to devolve into a war, so please, STOP BASHING GIMP. >:[

either way, i like your designs kiso, but i find the one on the right to be too close to nanami for my taste. it just looks like an older version of her. :\
the one on the left, however, is awesome. it shows off the 'sleekness' of the newer os, while still looking pointy enough to deter seasoned computer users. xD
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Quotei find the one on the right to be too close to nanami for my taste
Objective achived! That was actually the idea that I had in mind with what I wrote back a few posts ago about "one being more traditional and the other more forward minded". So it'd be something like retro hipster and modernist. It is hard to pull off with OS-tans though, considering the design vary so much between OS editions. Heck, one can't hardly beat the futurist and sleek look that was given to Chivistan and that other blue 7-tan... let alone Neptune and company.

but yeah, now you know (somewhat) clearly what I am aiming for here with the "two personalities" of 8. Although I might change things as I see more from the Windows 8 conferences, with the "big unveil" during BUILD (apparently, that's the new name for PDC). But I will still draw up more concepts of Hachi until I figure what goes and where.

On somewhat related news, that first 8-tan (the movie director one) that got posted eariler is somewhat starting to pick up pace... and I hate that design. At least I could somewhat tolerate the Seifuku and the Ninja Vistans (they did have style, but they were riding the trend train). This one though... sucks can't begin to express my dislike for it.

EDIT: Oh, and as for GIMP... not gonna bash it more... because they are seeing the light and seem to be going for the Photoshop windowing style... oh and it's free (double free?).