OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Thanks, I remember there being a LINC-tan, but I couldn't fully remember what her status was in the DEC. She wasn't well-respected among her descendants, wasn't she?

That's a good amount of information to start with, but I don't know how to organize it well when adding it to the wiki article. Do you know where I should start with that?

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 15, 2011, 01:12:23 PM
Thanks, I remember there being a LINC-tan, but I couldn't fully remember what her status was in the DEC. She wasn't well-respected among her descendants, wasn't she?

That's a good amount of information to start with, but I don't know how to organize it well when adding it to the wiki article. Do you know where I should start with that?

Not all of them.... though PDP-4 and -5 (?) and -8 would like/respect her.

I'm not sure where to start with an article either... I was planning on writing up a history though. If I can muster the will. >>;

Aurora Borealis

It'd be best to start off with some kind of overview section, detailing what type of faction they are, and their roles (of the faction compared to others, and the roles of the members themselves), followed by relations to other factions (i.e: Dislike of Unixes yet allowed some into their ranks), then history. Now only if I could muster up the willingness to type up articles again I'd like to help with that.

stewartsage

-4, -5, and -12 all at least appreciate what LINC did for them and she was married to PDP-8.  For the record.  She was also the only psychiatrist for the DECs..... and we've seen how well it works out when you ignore/loath/attempt to burn the witch your mental health professionals like they did.

Bella

Lol, I now have an urge to make a comic depicting LINC counseling various DEC-tans (her time spent with VMS would be especially lulzy).

PDP-8-tan and LINC: the original Boston Maynard Marriage

Aurora Borealis

Hehehe! I'd like to see that!

BTW, what faction is LINC in? I assume she's a wanderer, but would like confirmation so I can add her bio to the wiki.

Aurora Borealis

Currently to do:

-Chibi Yellow Dog-tan and Puppy Linux-tan (WIP)
-Wiki avatars (or full chibis) of ITS, VAXELN, RSX11, RSTS and VOS.
-May also add in LINC-tan when her bio gets added.
-Begin first draft of DEC article.

Two new Annex bios for Mac-tans! :D

Update: 7.5-tan's has been updated, 7-tan's in progress.

Quote from: undefinedName: Macintosh System 7-tan
aka: Blue, Mac OS7, Pleiades
debut: 5/13/1991
height: 170 cm (5'7")
weight: ??kg
eye color: green
hair: dark blue

Quick Facts:

- Used to be confident and powerful in her youth, but her ambitions were misapplied and nearly caused her downfall.
- Used to be a mobster and hitwoman, but this ended with a failed attempt to knock-out Windows 95-tan as a competitor.
- Suffered as a depressed shell of her former self during the Wars and for years after.
- Was rivals with System 6-tan, who refused to give up her leadership after System 7-tan's debut. Their unsteady truce was broken in the OS Wars, but genuinely reconciled years later.
- Considered 7.5-tan her second-in-command, and felt threatened by Copland-tan's existence.
- Largely stoic and non-chalant, for a long time she yearned for revenge against her arch-rival, but feels she doesn't need to anymore.
- At some point after, she reconsidered her life and developed a calm composure and continued her sword skills as a form of self-discipline.
-Wields a mean Yakuza-style katana, but wields it more artfully and responsibly than she used to.
-Prefers not to attend the Windows-Mac Family meetings, does not want to risk instigating hostility.
-The calm big sister figure to many Macs.
-Wears a blue pinstriped suit, an Apple rainbow-colored tie, and glasses.
-Recovered from her depression once and for all when she helped bring the Mac family back together after OSX Leopard's antics nearly drove away the Classics.
-Known to help out not only her sisters and stepsisters, but also the OSX-kuns, impervious to their antics.
-Gets along best with System 4-tan, GS/OS-tan, Puma-tan and A/UX-tan.

notes: Related to one of the things mentioned is that when System 7 debuted, System 6 wasn't discontinued, and many users getting new Macs were reluctant to upgrade to 7 because of compatibility issues with some apps. A version of System 6.0.8 was made for those who wanted the new Macs of 1991 but didn't want to switch to 7. Update: I found that 6.0.8 had some forward compatibility with System 7, it may not be so cut and dry that System 6-tan and System 7-tan had to be rivals.

Update: 7.5-tan's bio has been updated. This one is out of date and based on an older interpretation. I've since seen some other interpretations of her character that are more nuanced.

Quote from: undefinedName: Macintosh System 7.5-tan
aka: Capone
debut: Sep 1994
height: 165 cm (5'5")
weight: ??kg
eye color: lilac
hair: blonde

Quick Facts:
-Has a disgruntled, stoic demeanor, but is prone to outbursts.
-Is a gunslinger, her favorite guns being assault rifles.
-Has long blonde hair with a large cowlick and a "7.5" hair clip.
-Wears a long blue dress with a white top, combat boots and taskbar-style armbands.
-Assisted Mac OS7-tan in her goal to assassinate 95-tan, but failed spectacularly.
-Is the least civil Mac-tan towards the Windows-tans, is hostile towards the Windows Family except for Windows 3.1
-Disappointed in herself during the OS Wars, she left as a wanderer to continue her life as a wandering vigilante, or mobster, depending on who you ask.
-Gets along well with the young OSX-kun cat boys (or the OSX-kuns in their kitten form), but willing to enforce punishment when needed.

notes: There was a short comic of 7.5-tan meeting 3.1-tan, 7.5-tan saw 3.1-tan as being annoying (with 3.1 cheerfully asking a lot of questions or something) but wasn't hostile to her.

stewartsage

Since the death of DEC she is once again gloriously free to spend time with PDP-8 and garden and relax in the harbor islands and I definitely need to finish that story.....

Aurora Borealis

How long was LINC in DEC? Was she there until their demise?

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on July 16, 2011, 11:41:59 PM
Since the death of DEC she is once again gloriously free to spend time with PDP-8 and garden and relax in the harbor islands and I definitely need to finish that story.....

Doth telleth this story. *______*

Aurora Borealis

Do you also like the new bios? I always like input on them.

I would also like to know the story of LINC's post DEC years! :)

stewartsage

First off I have a bunch of stuff to add to the DEC Military article, but can't since I've never been added to the user group.  Other then that, yeah the new SAGE upgrades look spiffy-keen.

1964-the end: LINC's time at DEC.

I'll finish and post it later, along with some Unixan related materials for the IBM thread.

Aurora Borealis

If you can't add anything in the wiki itself, you can post it up in the wiki thread.

Bella

I'm not a Mac-tan expert so i can't really comment on the content, but 7 and 7.5-tan's bios are very well written. I like them~

I had no idea LINC was at DEC that long...

Aurora Borealis

Thanks!

I wouldn't have guessed that LINC was there the whole time. I thought she would have been dishonorably discharged for being a conscientious objector long before DEC's demise!