Programming?!

Started by Dr. Kraus, June 14, 2011, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

I happen to be pretty good at programming in C# but I'm still in the learning phase.

I wanted to know if anyone around here was also a programmer or amateur programmer like myself or if anyone was willing to learn to programming in C#, Java, VB (cake walk, I'm taking a class on it this upcoming school year), or C++? I was thinking of making a Windows Phone app for OSC and then expanding off that and making a large assortment of apps for Windows Phone and Xbox360! 

Would anyone be willing to endeavor on this journey of programming with me?

NejinOniwa

Programming hax is interesting, but I've always leaned on my clone to do that...he's prolly a bit rusty, but I think he knows Java, VB and C+/++ or something.

Personally, zero skill, not very interested in gaining such. Ganbare tho!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

I's like to learn some basic programming (well, not BASIC programming) but I can never find good "for beginners" texts. It's like, everything I've ever turned up is either for middle school children or computer science grad students. And usually it doesn't seem worth it, since most of my interest in learning programming languages involves working with vintage systems and emulators... -w-

Alex_Reetz

i used to do visual basic and c++ when i was in high school.

i always wanted to make a desktop buddy of my 7-tan design.

*snuff*

forever alone

Nichi

The only programming I have ever done is MS-DOS batch files. I remember I planned on devoting one summer to learning QBasic, but I never got around to it

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Bella on June 14, 2011, 02:19:07 PM
I's like to learn some basic programming (well, not BASIC programming) but I can never find good "for beginners" texts. It's like, everything I've ever turned up is either for middle school children or computer science grad students. And usually it doesn't seem worth it, since most of my interest in learning programming languages involves working with vintage systems and emulators... -w-

MSDN is your friend then!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/

Just choose what you want to program for and they give you everything you need to start out and for free! :D

SleepyD

I may not have majored in computer science, but I did take a minor in it while I was doing my engineering bachelor's.
I may be a bit rusty but languages I work in are mostly OO: C, C++, Java, Python. I also have minimal experience with Javascript and SQL. Never have worked with apps though, but I'd be willing to learn if you were able to get me working. (sorry, I can be lazy and/or distracted ^^; )

Dr. Kraus

Windows Phone 7 Apps are programmed in both XAML and C#, XAML being REALLY easy to pick up on and the same with C#!

I was going to take a Computer Science class at my school next year but had to move it back to my senior year due to a conflict with my English Class and the teacher who teaches the class isn't going to be there teaching next year so I'll just have him senior year.

Chocofreak13

i don't know code......but i've always wanted to learn.....and if i intend to have my own site, i NEED to learn.....

so thankyou for the site :3
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 14, 2011, 07:34:07 PM
i don't know code......but i've always wanted to learn.....and if i intend to have my own site, i NEED to learn.....

so thankyou for the site :3

Your very welcome!

Also, you should defiantly learn some HTML if your going to start up a site, you can just Google search for "HTML Tags" and everything will be given to you. Also, you can just compile a basic website using notepad and saving it as;

index.html

If you want help with anything don't hesitate to ask, I may not know everything but at least you can tackle the problem with another point of view!

Again, I suggest XAML to start out with because all you need to really type to place anything on the screen is something like this:

<!--ContentPanel - place additional content here-->
<Grid x:Name="ContentPanel" Grid.Row="1" Margin="12,0,12,0">
<StackPanel>
<Button Width="200" Height="150" Name="FirstButton" Content="Tap" />
</StackPanel>

Then you NEED to go into the C# code for it and place a "handler" where when you tap the button on the phone it will display "Tap Again" and then revert back to "Tap" continuing in an endless loop!

svx

I'm sad with the current state of programmers!

Sad for them, that is.  I feel like a lot of wasted talent is being propagated from a lot of the colleges and universities these days, because the lessons that are taught seem to revolve around paradigms that are a bit tricky.  It's easy to teach the way they're teaching, but the people being taught are learning things that they shouldn't be taught!

It really feels like up-and-coming programmers are being taught to focus on readability more than functionality when they program.  The whole "your code is only good if I can read it" thing...  I think that's one of the reasons that object-oriented languages are so popular these days (one of, but definitely not all of).  And object oriented design in general being as prolific as it is, too; it's like a technology religion

All of you guys going to school to learn to program must take my advice and learn to program in ordinary old C during your free time. You must because I demand it!  Even though C++ is going to be in wider demand from employers solely because they think it "saves time" or whatever, learning just plain C will force you to become good at programming... There are certainly enough apps that use 200+ MB of memory floating around these days, but many of those same apps could be using 4 MB and run on a 386 had the programmers who coded them understood the underlying mechanisms of their chosen language(s) and how to avoid the traps the language designers laid out!

"IMO, good C++ code is better than good C code, but bad C++ can be much, much worse than bad C code" - John Carmack (id software)

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BY SVX
COHERENCY SUPPLY HAS BEEN EXHAUSTED
LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT QUARTER'S COHERENT STATEMENTS

SleepyD

hm. I'm a product of that university system of programming.

I do think that readability is pretty important, particularly when I'm faced with a huge program someone wrote 20 years ago and that someone no longer works there. 

Granted, I do see your complaint. OOP languages are definitely prone to using tons more memory and resources than they should be. In the rush to finish school projects and submit them on the deadline, memory issues are hardly ever a priority. "Just get it to work." is the mantra of many students. Alas, due to the inevitable procrastination, by the time they get it working, there is barely enough time to debug, let alone try to find all the memory leaks.

And to your chagrin, I imagine, my university CS101 class no longer teaches C. They have now moved to C++. With AP CS classes in high school teaching Java, you are now looking at a generation that knows ONLY object oriented programming.  (As for me personally, I programmed in C only in CS101 and in my robotics programming class. With robots, memory was definitely an issue.)

Pitkin

I learnt an infinitesimally small amount of BASIC as a child, and minored in CS at university. Learnt the basics of Java and html and was quick to forget them too. I tried to take courses involving C and C++ but couldn't make a Hello World with those. >< Not really interested in programming, however (x)html felt like something usable in the future, if I just got around to php as well. ._.

Red-Machine

I've done a bit of BASIC in my time.  Wrote a small "what number am I thinking of"-type game on my C64 once.

I'm also quite well versed in DOS and the Windows command prompt.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

@svx: I agree fully with you on your argument! My friends brother, whom is getting his masters at CMU this upcoming school year and works as a programmer for Microsoft during the summer, would surly agree fully with you as well. Last time I talked to him about programming, he said that he started out on C and stayed with it for quite some time until moving onto C++ (I have his C++ book from our school, lol), C# and Java and said that it was one of the most important languages he learned because it changed his entire prospective on programming fully. Hell, this guy was taught C, C++, and Java all at the same time by a Harvard professor in high school then passed the AP test with a 5 (highest score), full ride to CMU majoring in programming and that same Harvard professor whom taught him the previous year became the programming teacher at CMU where this guy got to be his teachers aide because he had already taken the class in high school! So C programming will get you places in life ;D

@Sleepy: So true, our AP CS class used to teach C, C++, and Java all within one year (as I mentioned above) but now its all just Java with the teacher being pretty awesome and doing a little C++ here and there. He also makes you program with the hole punch cards if you do bad on a test >:D

@Pitkin: I've only tryed a bit of C++ and it was pretty difficult for me at first but I've gotten a little better at it, you need to just grind it into your mind >:D

@Red: DOS and cmd FTW!