Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

True. My sister thinks maybe he was a meth addict; given how he sounds very similar to the ex-husband of a coworker of mine from Pizza Hut (It's be so fucking weird if this was the same guy .__.; )

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 21, 2014, 12:49:13 PM
huh, i never knew it was pronounced that way. The More You Know~*

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 21, 2014, 01:13:13 PM
@Bella: ...It's always been pronounced as "deck"? I always assumed it was pronounced by letters, like Japanese counterpart N-E-C :\
Granted, at least "deck" is a word. Not like the new-age retrogamers who insist that "SNES" should be pronounced as "Snezz"; which makes me want to rip their vocal chords out >_>;

Dad asked me about this also — to the effect of "are you sure 'deck' isn't just an aberrant pronunciation?" Going by personal experience the DEC alumni I've talked to have all pronounced it "deck". DECnet was pronounced "decknet" and DECUS is "deck-us", and there were various wordplays involving the initialism (for instance, "If you don't have 36 bits you aren't playing with a full DEC"), all of which point to that being the right pronunciation. Finally the Jargon File says so, and that's really all the evidence I need to believe it's 100% true. (Though as it notes, by the 1980s DEC had ceased to be the proper shorthand for Digital Equipment Corporation — it was "Digital" by then. Though that may have been limited to the folks in marketing since a lot of people still call it DEC to this day.)

Also, Pent, I've heard people pronounce it both "S-N-E-S" and "Snes" so I'm honestly not sure what the right way is. ^^;

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 21, 2014, 12:49:13 PM
i watched episode 5 yesterday, and might try to sneak another episode in tonight. i want to steal half of Cameron's wardrobe.

I know right? :O

Also I can't shake the feeling Cameron could quite possibly be circa-1980s-ITS-tan's spirit animal.

Although she'd never be caught working with microcomputers. Or sleeping with IBM employees.

Nichi

@Bella: Interesting :3
Also, the correct (As in, during that console's era) pronunciation for SNES is by letters, although most people either called it Super Nintendo, while most marketing material called it the Super NES.

Also also, I might need to see if I can find a download of the first few episodes of that show. I want to see it ;_;

Chocofreak13

@pronunciations: S-N-E-S is how i've always said it, since the other consoles in the line were the N-E-S and the N-64, just like the D-S is the D-S now. :\
@HaCF: here pent, i found it for you.
@walmart guy: yeeeaaah, meth addiction would make sense. i just had this mental image of a 50-something alien chaser with a stained wifebeater and possibly a ratty old army trench coat, but given that you live in the small-town midwest, if he was in his teens-30's, meth addiction makes WAY more sense.

hoping to go to the doctor doctor tomorrow in addition to the loony doctor. my throat isn't really sore anymore, but my cough has gotten much worse, to the point where i'll have coughing fits for 3 minutes straight. and since this illness is over a week old by now, yeahhhh.....

*gets paid today*
*has plan for cash like responsible adult*
*goes to christmas tree shop, gets shampoo*
*spots bin of discount tea, and box of non-decaf darjeeling*
*decides on minor impulse buy, still feeling like responsible adult*
*goes to sister's for dinner*
*sis mentions that it's tee fury grab bag day*
*.......*
*......*
*spends $10 on shirt instead of paying people back like responsible adult*
*HERP DERP IM A GROWNUP*
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Although IDK if it's ok to link to a torrent of a fairly recent TV series :\

Also, I know that feel. I'm cutting back on unnecessary spending as much as possible so I can afford a decent car; something that can get me back and forth to Tyler so I can get a job there.

Pitkin

I've never heard SNES being pronounced letter by letter. ^^;; Back in time when some of my friends had those contemporary machines, they were either "Super Nes", "Snes" or "Super Nintendo". S-N-E-S could've happened in an SBAE: Spelling Bee - the Abbreviation Edition.

In any case, I find it most amusing that there's a "correct" way to pronounce a product name. There's a Finnish proverb saying that everything valuable will end up with multiple names as different people call it whatever to them is convenient.

Nichi

To me, actually pronouncing "SNES" as a word is like nails on a chalkboard; it makes no sense to force a pronunciation onto it :\

Then again, I live in a region that pretends "ain't" is a real word published in a valid dictionary that didn't also change the meaning of "literally" because of people not knowing how to properly use that word, and also calls any carbonated beverage a "Coke" even if it's clearly not (7-Up, orange soda, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, etc. etc.)

Chocofreak13

that's how language always works, with dialects and grammar rules and the like. -w-;

@pent: idk either, but it's there if you want it. after all, you basically went through all the legal channels already outside of paying 2 bucks a fucking episode on the idiocy that is google play. :\

also, that's reeeeeally weird on the soda....and ain't is technically in the dictionary. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Still hate that word :\

Looking forward to Thursday; as I'll finally have a day off from both jobs. I intend to do absolutely nothing that day if I can avoid it

Chocofreak13

SLEEEEP IIIIIIN

also, gah, i've been up for less than 2 hours and i already want to go back to sleep.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Pitkin on July 22, 2014, 02:50:05 AM
I've never heard SNES being pronounced letter by letter. ^^;; Back in time when some of my friends had those contemporary machines, they were either "Super Nes", "Snes" or "Super Nintendo". S-N-E-S could've happened in an SBAE: Spelling Bee - the Abbreviation Edition.

In any case, I find it most amusing that there's a "correct" way to pronounce a product name. There's a Finnish proverb saying that everything valuable will end up with multiple names as different people call it whatever to them is convenient.

Hm, I suppose it's one of those things that vary by language / nationality! To be honest I never gave much thought about how products take up different names/pronunciations in different cultures until now (I'm not counting products that are branded differently in different countries) but now you have me curious.

Also, I really like that proverb. I have a tendency to mispronounce words I don't hear spoken regularly and that makes me feel better. ^^

SleepyD

the "coke" thing is really weird. I mean, "pop" feels off to me too, but I could get used to it.

http://www.popvssoda.com/

stewartsage

I've always called in "The Super Nintendo".  Also it's pop.  You heathens.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on July 22, 2014, 07:16:13 PM
I've always called in "The Super Nintendo".  Also it's pop.  You heathens.

It's soda!

Also my dog has basically become Fussy Baby Simulator 2014. She wakes me up like every 2 hours to deal with her bullshit and won't let me take a fucking nap during the day. >:|

Chocofreak13

whatever you do, don't deal with the cauliky baby the way Ms. Kublebeck did in high school. PLEASE.

@stew: it's soda.

also, if you two have a child, and you raise it with both your terms, somehow your child will come out canadian.

PILLS GET
SUKITTE II NA YO MANGA UNLOCKED
SECRET ITEM: PIZZA
ROLLING SVU BONUS FOOTAGE
click to make it bigger