Bella's OS-tan Manga Thread

Started by Bella, April 17, 2008, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I wasn't sure if I should make a separate thread of not, but seeing as my comics are a lot different that my usual artwork--one being hand drawn and all, the other being vector art--I thought a separate thread would be best. I can also use this area to discuss future plots and ideas; any input is welcome!

So far I've been working on a rather short manga. It is centered around VMS-sama and the rest of the DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)-tans, but to be more accurate, it has to do with the rocky history between the DEC-tans and the Unix family.

The story so far has to do with Ultrix-san, a young daughter of BSD-sama, being sent to DEC headquarters to join their ranks. This causes much distress among the DEC-tans, who don't really like Unixes. VMS-san is chosen to show Ultrix-san around the base, and this somehow leads to a flashback regarding VMS-san and her first encounter with Unix-sama, explaining some of the conflict between their families.

These are linked from Photobucket since I can't figure out how to link them from my gallery here. I'm also posting them as text links since I don't want to make this thread to huge (though, with new pages I'll post them as images)

Page 1: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/deccomic.jpg
Page 2: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/Copyofimg092.jpg
Page 3: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/Copyofimg131.jpg
Page 4: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/comicpage4sm.png
Page 5: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/comicpg5-1.png
Page 6: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/comicpg6-1.png
Page 7: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/comicpg7.png
Page 8:

Notes:
In panel 1, we see the Commander is writing on a DECWriter terminal; but this isn't as clear as in the last page.

In panels 3-5, you can see VMS-sama has changed out of her formal clothes and into her usual military outfit. Swords included.

In the last panel, we see a wristwatch on Unix-sama; this is an allusion to Unix being a timesharing system (as Multics-sama and CTSS-sama would have also carried watches, albeit of the elaborate pocket variety)

Page 9:

Notes: In panels 1 and 3, we see some guy vaguely resembling Bill Joy (aka, the dude who invented Berkeley Unix).

Unix-sama isn't all that worried about VMS-sama being on her territory; because she knows the longer she's there, the more it'll wear her down.

EDIT:

NEWEST: Linux-san comic. See post page 5 and onward.

Aurora Borealis

Poor VMS-san! Being ordered to confront the uber powerful and cruel Unix! :( But I like the way she thinks though: Do not waste attacks on those who are not really much of a threat and do be willing to take a loss to lure the foe into a false sense of grandeur just to later take them down and watch as they feel worthless and give up... or get blasted till they're no more!  I also notice that Unix seems to have a very good understanding of psychology! ;010

Excellent work keeping up this story- I wish I could make an OS-tan comic about some characters' backstories!

C-Chan

QuoteExcellent work keeping up this story- I wish I could make an OS-tan comic about some characters' backstories!

Well you've already drawn about a dozen comics. From your standpoint, doing another comic about a specific character is less than a stone throw away.  ^^'

In any event, I've reached the end of my tether, so I'll need to post back tomorrow.  ^____^

But I had the honor of viewing these latest comics and feel so happy that UNIX-sama is in such great hands with Bella-sama, that I want to cry up a storm.  ;^v^;

Having seen such a beautiful incarnation of the goddess (and lest we forget, VMS-san herself), I can sleep very well tonight.  ^____^

NejinOniwa

*Far-off Nejin flyby*
Wai, righto! Er. I have a feeling that these things could use some cleaning and coloring - otherwise, it's all great! I'll see what'll happen next wWWAHAAAAAAAAAAAA-
*disappears into wormhole*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

QuotePoor VMS-san! Being ordered to confront the uber powerful and cruel Unix! But I like the way she thinks though: Do not waste attacks on those who are not really much of a threat and do be willing to take a loss to lure the foe into a false sense of grandeur just to later take them down and watch as they feel worthless and give up... or get blasted till they're no more! I also notice that Unix seems to have a very good understanding of psychology!

In order to be an excellent mind gamer, she must have a good grasp on psychology...

QuoteExcellent work keeping up this story- I wish I could make an OS-tan comic about some characters' backstories!

It's all a matter of finding a OS or character that has a interesting past, and working from there. There's tons of material out there; why, an entire series could be devoted to the Macs or Window family...

QuoteWell you've already drawn about a dozen comics. From your standpoint, doing another comic about a specific character is less than a stone throw away. ^^'

Agreed!

QuoteBut I had the honor of viewing these latest comics and feel so happy that UNIX-sama is in such great hands with Bella-sama, that I want to cry up a storm. ;^v^;

Aww, now, you're the one who gave me a lot of the inspiration to draw Unix-sama.

QuoteHaving seen such a beautiful incarnation of the goddess (and lest we forget, VMS-san herself), I can sleep very well tonight. ^____^

I'm glad you like her :)

Quote*Far-off Nejin flyby*
Wai, righto! Er. I have a feeling that these things could use some cleaning and coloring - otherwise, it's all great! I'll see what'll happen next wWWAHAAAAAAAAAAAA-
*disappears into wormhole*

Well, the reason I've been able to keep this up is because I've forgone the inking and coloring; never the less, I'm glad you like it so far :D

C-Chan

Okay, last stop for the night...!  ^___^

PAGE 8:

Once again I love the reference to the DecWriters as typewriters, but I'm outright floored by the fact that the letters are dot matrix sheets!  That's such a cute and creative touch!!  ^v^

Also like how poor VMS-sama reluctantly dresses up to her DEC uniform, ready to kick some........... ass? (har har har)  ^0^

And last but not least for this page....

UNIX-SAMA!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

I have to say,... for a Goddess,.... she definitely looks the part.  ^____^

And the office came out looking wonderfully!  ^^
You have to let us know what she's listening to on the gramophone.  ^____^

PAGE 9:

And this just shows that she ACTS the part too.  ^.^

You have to admire her willingness to appreciate the significance of morale.  From the reaction of the subordinate, they seem to still be stuck in the snoody, antiquated mindset.  ^___^

And like a real pro, she isn't going to stoop to the level of kicking someone who's already on the ground.  Doing that would be no different from the counter-productive tactics her mother used.  -v-

The last panel is fantastic -- the dramatic close-up of UNIX-sama is incredibly striking as it gorgeous, and the downturned owl ears were a beautiful touch.  ^.^

Bella

QuoteOnce again I love the reference to the DecWriters as typewriters, but I'm outright floored by the fact that the letters are dot matrix sheets! That's such a cute and creative touch!! ^v^

Haha, I kinda drew that without thinking about it...

QuoteAlso like how poor VMS-sama reluctantly dresses up to her DEC uniform, ready to kick some........... ass? (har har har) ^0^

Hey, she doesn't wanna be there :P

QuoteAnd last but not least for this page....

UNIX-SAMA!!!!!!!!!! ^V^

I have to say,... for a Goddess,.... she definitely looks the part. ^____^

And the office came out looking wonderfully! ^^
You have to let us know what she's listening to on the gramophone. ^____^

That's a good question, there...

QuoteAnd this just shows that she ACTS the part too. ^.^

You have to admire her willingness to appreciate the significance of morale. From the reaction of the subordinate, they seem to still be stuck in the snoody, antiquated mindset. ^___^

Hey now, that's not just any subordinate, that's some dude vaguely resembling Bill Joy! Everyone's favorite possible Neo-Luddite, who legend holds wrote BSD in a single weekend! Though even he admits the legends are wrong. Lawl.

QuoteAnd like a real pro, she isn't going to stoop to the level of kicking someone who's already on the ground. Doing that would be no different from the counter-productive tactics her mother used. -v-

Something like that; she knows VMS-has no supporters there...

QuoteThe last panel is fantastic -- the dramatic close-up of UNIX-sama is incredibly striking as it gorgeous, and the downturned owl ears were a beautiful touch. ^.^

Thank you! I had a lot of fun drawing the eyes and glasses as well. I tried to make them look kinda like those 60s-ish horn rim glasses :P

Anyhoo, I am working on the fight scene between Unix-sama and VMS-sama; although, the choreography is a bit tough ^///^

But I've been thinking ahead to what "series" I might do next. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of material out there for a DEC-tan comic; but I get a bit bored spending too much time on one subject. So I was thinking I might make a comic about Linux-sama; her early life, to be exact. It'll be set between 1991 to 93, and detail the young Linux-sama's departure from Minix-sensei, and her subsequent journey to find her way in the world. The social and polictical atmosphere at this point was highly unstable and chaotic (what with the Unix and OS Wars going on); although, she will stay out of trouble for the most part, and I very much doubt she will have any first hand experiences with the occurences of the outside OS-tan world. I guess one of the recurring themes will be the difficulties Linux-sama faces as being a Unix-like in a time where most people weren't exactly trusting of Unixes (in any form), and conversly being hated by the Unixes because she isn't of their bloodline. She will also lack any powers at this point; only later will the "GNU people" endow her with the Open Sourcery she now possesses today.

I do have some worries, though; I am concerned that this whole tale will be a bit dull. I wonder if I should present this story in the context of "flashbacks" from a modern point (IE, Linux-sama just thinking back to when this was happening). This could take some of the pressure off the main story, and fill in the gaps between the more interesting incedents (thusly, making it less dull). Or I could have flashbacks to Linux-sama's really early life, and her training by Minix-sensei.

I also wonder a bit about Linux-sama's early life in general; what OS-tans might she have encountered? Somehow I think it would be mostly Minix-sensei and Unixes here and there. How exactly does GNU fit into this? I supposed the aformentioned GNU people would be a group (a daresay a "cult") who had everything prepared for the new OS-tan they would create (IE, the outfit, the weapons, the Open Sourcery spells, and her assistents [program-tans]); but somewhere along the way they had diffuculty bringing this OS-tan into existence, and decided Linux-sama would be the best candidate to carry out their mission of freedom. Also, for the sake of simplicity, I likely won't mention any of her daughters (because Yggdrasil-tan and Slackware-tan probably would have been around then). Though, I do suppose an OS-tan being "open sourced" would more or less have their DNA free for the world to access, so it could be she had "daughters" and didn't even really know about it (it's the only way you could explain so damn many Linuxes and Unixes cropping up!)

C-Chan

Oooh,... still have quite a bit here.  ^__^

Standy by, Bella-san.  ^.^

Added after 10 hours 17 minutes:

QuoteHey now, that's not just any subordinate, that's some dude vaguely resembling Bill Joy! Everyone's favorite possible Neo-Luddite, who legend holds wrote BSD in a single weekend! Though even he admits the legends are wrong. Lawl.

Ahhh,... BUT, my dear Bella-san, you're not thinking 4th-dimensionally.  ^^
What ARE mere mortals but in the presence of the Goddess but mere mortals...? Praised be UNIX-sama!  ^.^

*lights incense and grovels in worship*

QuoteSomething like that; she knows VMS-has no supporters there...

And she has no intention of GAINING her any supporters either.  Even if they don't want to admit it, people sometimes admire underdogs.  ^^

QuoteThank you! I had a lot of fun drawing the eyes and glasses as well. I tried to make them look kinda like those 60s-ish horn rim glasses :P

And a mighty fine job at that.  ^.^

QuoteAnyhoo, I am working on the fight scene between Unix-sama and VMS-sama; although, the choreography is a bit tough ^///^

In action scenes like that, I reckon that's where preexisting manga comes in handy, as it provides ample examples of effective ways of simulating speed and dynamic movement in a static, black-n-white medium.  Regardless, though, you deserve a lot of applause for taking up the challenge.  It's not easy.  ^__^

QuoteBut I've been thinking ahead to what "series" I might do next. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of material out there for a DEC-tan comic; but I get a bit bored spending too much time on one subject.

In that case, you're best bet down the orad may have to be to tell mini stories for random characters, throughout random periods, something akin to a day-in-the-life-of anthology for OS-tans.  ^^

QuoteI do have some worries, though; I am concerned that this whole tale will be a bit dull. I wonder if I should present this story in the context of "flashbacks" from a modern point (IE, Linux-sama just thinking back to when this was happening). This could take some of the pressure off the main story, and fill in the gaps between the more interesting incedents (thusly, making it less dull). Or I could have flashbacks to Linux-sama's really early life, and her training by Minix-sensei.

I thought of the same approach but for UNIX-sama, given that a lot of her very early life is pretty dull too.  ^.^'
For a more dramatic presentation, the flashbacks could occur while she or others close to her are in some kind of duress.  

In fact, you could even tie it in with your current comic,... suppose that too is one long flashback of VMS-sama, who in present-day is in mid-skirmish with a *Nix contingent led by Linux-sama.  She in turn reminisces about her own youth and hardships.  

At the end of the day, both would come out seeming like veritable equals in more ways than one.  ^^

QuoteI also wonder a bit about Linux-sama's early life in general; what OS-tans might she have encountered? Somehow I think it would be mostly Minix-sensei and Unixes here and there.

I also never gave that much thought, but figured that a lot of the OS-tan's she met (before she started mingling with her clones) were other "fringe" OS-tans that would eventually become part of the CIOST, such as BeOS-tan.  She might've been friends with FreeDOS-chan for a while, but she likely had to leave soon after to help her sisters during the fighting.  

But of course, this is all fair game, so points for originality are awarded.  ^^

QuoteI supposed the aformentioned GNU people would be a group (a daresay a "cult") who had everything prepared for the new OS-tan they would create (IE, the outfit, the weapons, the Open Sourcery spells, and her assistents [program-tans]); but somewhere along the way they had diffuculty bringing this OS-tan into existence, and decided Linux-sama would be the best candidate to carry out their mission of freedom.

Fufufu.... well you remember my own "RPG-like" explanation for the whole GNU thing, but that can work too.  ^___^

QuoteAlso, for the sake of simplicity, I likely won't mention any of her daughters (because Yggdrasil-tan and Slackware-tan probably would have been around then). Though, I do suppose an OS-tan being "open sourced" would more or less have their DNA free for the world to access, so it could be she had "daughters" and didn't even really know about it (it's the only way you could explain so damn many Linuxes and Unixes cropping up!)

Actually, I think that'd be an excellent explanation.  ^___^
If you think about it, if we lived in a world where human cloning were widespread and normal, and some uber-famous actor gave out his DNA for free, guess how many fans would want their kids to look like him?  ^__^;

I think it's a fantastic way of explaining, not only this inconsistency, but also why UNIX-sama (at her age and physical,... er, development) could have so many children without being a raging sex-fiend, and also why Amiga-sama could have TWO kids and not even know it at first.  ^^'

Good thinkin'!  ^.^

Bella

Page 10:

Hey, finally! VMS-sama has screwed up! Now all we have to do is wait for the arse-kicking to start.

Notes: Hey, it's by a lake! Or bay or something, that's a little unclear.

It seems that Unix-sama is going to fight with fire, and VMS-sama's going to use her swords, but wait and see...

QuoteAhhh,... BUT, my dear Bella-san, you're not thinking 4th-dimensionally. ^^
What ARE mere mortals but in the presence of the Goddess but mere mortals...? Praised be UNIX-sama! ^.^

*lights incense and grovels in worship*

Brother C-Chan speakith the truth!

QuoteIn action scenes like that, I reckon that's where preexisting manga comes in handy, as it provides ample examples of effective ways of simulating speed and dynamic movement in a static, black-n-white medium. Regardless, though, you deserve a lot of applause for taking up the challenge. It's not easy. ^__^

Oh yeah, I've been looking over a few different manga...just trying to get an idea of how action scenes are illustrated...

QuoteIn that case, you're best bet down the orad may have to be to tell mini stories for random characters, throughout random periods, something akin to a day-in-the-life-of anthology for OS-tans. ^^

Perhaps...

QuoteI thought of the same approach but for UNIX-sama, given that a lot of her very early life is pretty dull too. ^.^'

....Like her time working in as a typist at the Bell Labs patent office, her first job ^///^

QuoteFor a more dramatic presentation, the flashbacks could occur while she or others close to her are in some kind of duress.

In fact, you could even tie it in with your current comic,... suppose that too is one long flashback of VMS-sama, who in present-day is in mid-skirmish with a *Nix contingent led by Linux-sama. She in turn reminisces about her own youth and hardships.

At the end of the day, both would come out seeming like veritable equals in more ways than one. ^^

That's a thought....but given that the main theme of the comic will be Linux-sama's...limbo...between being considered a Unix by many, but being shunned by the true Unixes because she isn't one of them...perhaps if I presented it within another storyline, it would start with a present-day argument between Linux-sama and a particularly cynical Unix-tan who has no love for her (Maybe SCO-tan), and then progress to a flashback.

Or, it might work even better if the "present-time" of the comic is set in the mid 1990s, soon after Linux-sama's shaky acceptance into the family, while there's still a lot of tension...and then have flashbacks to the early 90s.

I even have a perfect title for this comic, should I go this route.

QuoteI also never gave that much thought, but figured that a lot of the OS-tan's she met (before she started mingling with her clones) were other "fringe" OS-tans that would eventually become part of the CIOST, such as BeOS-tan. She might've been friends with FreeDOS-chan for a while, but she likely had to leave soon after to help her sisters during the fighting.

But of course, this is all fair game, so points for originality are awarded. ^^

This sounds right; Linux-sama stayed out of the mainstream and probably never met any Macs or Windows-tans in her travels, but that doesn't mean she didn't meet other little-known OS-tans.

I wonder if--after Plan 9-san left her family--she may have come across the young Linux-sama. That would certainly make for one hell of a meeting, as while Plan 9-san is trying to distance herself from the Unixes, Linux-sama is somehow trying to gain their acceptance @__@

QuoteFufufu.... well you remember my own "RPG-like" explanation for the whole GNU thing, but that can work too. ^___^

Yeah, I remember your idea...but I almost want to make the GNU types seem a little more...ancient and mythological. After all, I heard that Stallman's whole idea for a free OS came from his experiences at MIT with ITS; there was a very free hacker culture surrounding ITS, but when MIT pulled the plug on ITS and adopted more closed-source proprietary systems, that culture nearly disappeared...

I know this'll sound moronic, but I almost want to present them as technological druids (WTF?!), trying to usher in a new era of open sourcery and freedom for all. And while Linux-sama will go along with them for the most part, she certainly has some qualms about their society...

QuoteActually, I think that'd be an excellent explanation. ^___^
If you think about it, if we lived in a world where human cloning were widespread and normal, and some uber-famous actor gave out his DNA for free, guess how many fans would want their kids to look like him? ^__^;

Thank you. The DNA/source code analogy could also be an explain why the open sourced OS-tans are usually more "healthy"...their genetic sequence or whatever is completely mapped out, so any problems could be diagnosed or treated a lot quicker.

Someone like poor OS/2-tan...nobody even has the foggiest idea of what her genetics are ;)

QuoteI think it's a fantastic way of explaining, not only this inconsistency, but also why UNIX-sama (at her age and physical,... er, development) could have so many children without being a raging sex-fiend, and also why Amiga-sama could have TWO kids and not even know it at first. ^^'

Good thinkin'! ^.^

Uh...oh...You had better watch out for flying books, vases and/or pianos. Or squirrels.  :P

Hmmm...I always thought AROS-chan and MorphOS-chan were adopted daughters of Miggy-sama...

NejinOniwa

C-C-C-COMBAT BREAKER!!!

Now this bounds for awesome!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

Fufufu.... I leave for one day, and already you're tempting me with a cliffhanger of supreme kick-assedness.  ^^

I'll touch on that in just a second, but in the meantime....

QuoteOh yeah, I've been looking over a few different manga...just trying to get an idea of how action scenes are illustrated...

Well the poses have a lot to do with it of course, but it's not much fun if the character is punching forward, but not really doing anything else that makes her FEEL like she's punching forward fiercely.  For all we know, she could be a statue in the middle of a room.  :P

From my own quick observations, the feeling of speed and intensity is achieved primarily by two things:  dynamic lighting and action lines.

While certain schools of art may scoff at the use of action lines, it has proven over the decades to be a very convincing and very efficient way to "illustrate" the notion of speed -- certainly in a way that's far less labor-intensive than blurring effects.  And dynamic lighting (long shadows, and extreme contrast between lighting and shading) helps to highten the drama of the moment, and is certainly a given when dealing with magic and firearms (or those sparks that fly when swords clash explosively).  ^___^

QuoteThat's a thought....but given that the main theme of the comic will be Linux-sama's...limbo...between being considered a Unix by many, but being shunned by the true Unixes because she isn't one of them...perhaps if I presented it within another storyline, it would start with a present-day argument between Linux-sama and a particularly cynical Unix-tan who has no love for her (Maybe SCO-tan), and then progress to a flashback.

I even have a perfect title for this comic, should I go this route.

Aa sou sou,.. in that case, you needn't ponder the issue any further.  ^^

QuoteThis sounds right; Linux-sama stayed out of the mainstream and probably never met any Macs or Windows-tans in her travels, but that doesn't mean she didn't meet other little-known OS-tans.

I wonder if--after Plan 9-san left her family--she may have come across the young Linux-sama. That would certainly make for one hell of a meeting, as while Plan 9-san is trying to distance herself from the Unixes, Linux-sama is somehow trying to gain their acceptance @__@

What did I say about points for originality?  ^.^
very well,... you earn a cookie....

QuoteYeah, I remember your idea...but I almost want to make the GNU types seem a little more...ancient and mythological. After all, I heard that Stallman's whole idea for a free OS came from his experiences at MIT with ITS; there was a very free hacker culture surrounding ITS, but when MIT pulled the plug on ITS and adopted more closed-source proprietary systems, that culture nearly disappeared...

I know this'll sound moronic, but I almost want to present them as technological druids (WTF?!), trying to usher in a new era of open sourcery and freedom for all. And while Linux-sama will go along with them for the most part, she certainly has some qualms about their society...

In that case, you've just helped make a very compelling historical tie-in with ITS-sama.  ^^

Speaking of lesser-known OS-tans along her travels,... supposing Linux-sama met ITS-sama along the way, and SHE was the one who pointed the young girl to her old "fanbase", now turned pseudo-religion?  Barring the risks, she knew the young girl had potential to give her old fanbase some direction.  ^___^

QuoteThank you. The DNA/source code analogy could also be an explain why the open sourced OS-tans are usually more "healthy"...their genetic sequence or whatever is completely mapped out, so any problems could be diagnosed or treated a lot quicker.

Someone like poor OS/2-tan...nobody even has the foggiest idea of what her genetics are

And yeah, truth be told, when OS/2-sama gets sick she gets sick for a LOOOOONG time.  @v@'

Doesn't beat out ME-chan, though,.... everyone has LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG given up figuring out what's forever wrong with that poor girl.  ^^'

Uh...oh...You had better watch out for flying books, vases and/or pianos. Or squirrels. :P

Well,... it was either that or another jack-rabbit reference for UNIX-sama.  ^___^;

*gets squished by flying boot*

QuoteHmmm...I always thought AROS-chan and MorphOS-chan were adopted daughters of Miggy-sama...

Originally that was the idea, but I eventually opted for full-blown daughters.  Not that it matters much anyway -- since she never conscientiously "had them", you could make the case that they are adopted.  Or rather "will" be adopted, as the reference actually refers to a future canon storyline (when where Amiga-sama leaves the Binteji Renmei,........ to live 500 feet away ^^; ..... and tries to settle down to a "real" family life, or at least a poor excuse thereof.  ^.^;).

===========

Okay, now,....

LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

QuoteHey, finally! VMS-sama has screwed up! Now all we have to do is wait for the arse-kicking to start.

Notes: Hey, it's by a lake! Or bay or something, that's a little unclear.

It seems that Unix-sama is going to fight with fire, and VMS-sama's going to use her swords, but wait and see...

*C-chan dances rumba with glee*  ^V^

*pauses*

Wait, this doesn't feel right?  Is it "rumba" or something else?  ^____^'

In any event, it's only three panels but the last two are worth it.  ^__^
UNIX-sama is not as clearly defined as in the last page but she still has the secure goddess look to her.  And VMS-sama looks wonderful -- uncertain, but still courageous.  ^.^

Plus the difference in size is staggering -- if not for the fact that UNIX-sama is older and more powerful, you would almost think of this as an uneven match.  ^^

Now if all the places to fight,... why did UNIX-sama choose to meet her by a LARGE body of water?  Hmmm..... ^___^'

*dances more rumba with glee and giddiness*  ^v^

Aurora Borealis

Excellent work as always! It does seem strange that Unix has decided to have the showdown take place by a body of water and VMS-san specializes in water attacks...

Aha! I think I know why! It must be part of Unix's plan to make VMS-san seem like she [VMS-san] has the advantage although Unix has more than enough fire power to counter water attacks!

Bella

Page 11:

Notes:

Panels 1 and 2, I guess VMS-sama figures she's not going to need her swords. In panel 2, "Ristess" references RSTS-san's nickname (Ristess is how RSTS was pronounced, for the record)

In the last 3 panels, we see VMS-sama wearing gloves; this is to amplify her alchemical/geomancing powers. And we see that she's actually dragging the water from a...water table or something.

QuoteC-C-C-COMBAT BREAKER!!!

Now this bounds for awesome!

We'll see; even I dunno if this is bound for awesome or not. XD

QuoteWell the poses have a lot to do with it of course, but it's not much fun if the character is punching forward, but not really doing anything else that makes her FEEL like she's punching forward fiercely. For all we know, she could be a statue in the middle of a room. :P

From my own quick observations, the feeling of speed and intensity is achieved primarily by two things: dynamic lighting and action lines.

While certain schools of art may scoff at the use of action lines, it has proven over the decades to be a very convincing and very efficient way to "illustrate" the notion of speed -- certainly in a way that's far less labor-intensive than blurring effects. And dynamic lighting (long shadows, and extreme contrast between lighting and shading) helps to highten the drama of the moment, and is certainly a given when dealing with magic and firearms (or those sparks that fly when swords clash explosively). ^___^

I know exactly what you mean...but action lines, I find, are actually a bit hard to draw without making a mess of the illustration...I guess one has to be quite careful about how they place them...

QuoteAa sou sou,.. in that case, you needn't ponder the issue any further. ^^

I think the "present time" will be set back in the mid 90s; not long after Linux-sama was accepted into the family. The flashbacks will be to the early 90s.

Incidentally, when did the "OS Wars" start? I always supposed it started with Windows 3.1 being released (which would be 1992), but wasn't the hight of it around the time of Windows 95's release (1995)? And wasn't Mac System 7 released at Apple's all-time low point (1997)? So...I dunno...

QuoteIn that case, you've just helped make a very compelling historical tie-in with ITS-sama. ^^

Speaking of lesser-known OS-tans along her travels,... supposing Linux-sama met ITS-sama along the way, and SHE was the one who pointed the young girl to her old "fanbase", now turned pseudo-religion? Barring the risks, she knew the young girl had potential to give her old fanbase some direction. ^___^

Haha! That's a great idea! Linux-chan could be hitchhiking and have ITS-san offer her a ride (on her motorbike). After she leaves Linux-chan at her destination, she gives her an address, or something like that, of some folks she knows that could help her.

By the way, what would Linux-sama's Open Sourcery be, exactly? I know she prefers hand-to-hand fighting (with her spear) to using "magic", though...

QuoteWell,... it was either that or another jack-rabbit reference for UNIX-sama. ^___^;

*gets squished by flying boot*

Ah, the ol' Das Boot treatment! Perfect for a blasphemer like thee :P

QuoteOriginally that was the idea, but I eventually opted for full-blown daughters. Not that it matters much anyway -- since she never conscientiously "had them", you could make the case that they are adopted. Or rather "will" be adopted, as the reference actually refers to a future canon storyline (when where Amiga-sama leaves the Binteji Renmei,........ to live 500 feet away ^^; ..... and tries to settle down to a "real" family life, or at least a poor excuse thereof. ^.^.

So they're her future-adopted-daughters? I see...

QuoteIn any event, it's only three panels but the last two are worth it. ^__^
UNIX-sama is not as clearly defined as in the last page but she still has the secure goddess look to her. And VMS-sama looks wonderful -- uncertain, but still courageous. ^.^

Plus the difference in size is staggering -- if not for the fact that UNIX-sama is older and more powerful, you would almost think of this as an uneven match. ^^

Yeah, I really wanted VMS-sama too look a lot taller than Unix-sama...;)

QuoteNow if all the places to fight,... why did UNIX-sama choose to meet her by a LARGE body of water? Hmmm..... ^___^'

So she can do a bit of post ass-kicking fishing, right...?

QuoteExcellent work as always! It does seem strange that Unix has decided to have the showdown take place by a body of water and VMS-san specializes in water attacks...

Yeah, Unix-sama will address (advantage) this in the next page or so...

QuoteAha! I think I know why! It must be part of Unix's plan to make VMS-san seem like she [VMS-san] has the advantage although Unix has more than enough fire power to counter water attacks!

Maybe...even I don't know 100%. Haha...

Aurora Borealis

ooh! Suspense! Will VMS-san's water attacks be enough to leave Unix all washed up? ;006 (can not... resist the puns!)

I think the "present time" will be set back in the mid 90s; not long after Linux-sama was accepted into the family. The flashbacks will be to the early 90s.

Incidentally, when did the "OS Wars" start? I always supposed it started with Windows 3.1 being released (which would be 1992), but wasn't the hight of it around the time of Windows 95's release (1995)? And wasn't Mac System 7 released at Apple's all-time low point (1997)? So...I dunno...
Not exactly sure when the OS Wars started, but I think it was around the time when Windows 95 was released.

You're close with those facts but System 7 was released in 1991 (although the last version, Mac OS 7.6 was released in 1997!) And also Mac OS 8 was released in 1997.

C-Chan

Darn, have to leave it in another cliffhanger.  ^______________^

The suspense is killing me,... at this rate, I'm gonna pop like a.....!!  ^V^