MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteSo yeah, obviously I didn't return as soon as originally planned. Things popped up (and I don't mean on the computer), and it is some IRL stuff that really doesn't belong in here. Of course, part of the reason I was gone was Fun Fun Fun Fest (more like Dust Dust Dust Fest, amirite?) which was pretty cool, but also very exhausting. Anyway, I burned the .iso and the disc works (yay, no coaster!) so all is well. The once riddled with spyware computer seems to be running smoothly now, checks clean with AVG/Spybot/Ad-aware, and I'm using it right now (w/PortableApps).

Glad you have the computer running well again...

QuoteIf it is open-source, as you've stated, why not try tampering with the BIOS (or whatever you call the OS housed in a router). Try tweaking the settings manually, surely there is a guide on the forums for this sort of thing.

I think it's just an embedded OS. But yeah, I really should try updating the firmware (a newer version is available on the Linksys site).

Quote*for those uninitiated, horchata is sweet milk that, depending on which region of the world it is found in, can be made from almond, rice, or grain. My favorite variant is actually rice milk blended with cow's milk and cinnamon. Delicioso!

That sounds really tasty...

QuoteFufufu... I'm going to venture to guess that machine is a CRT, now? ^__^

Funny,... it's been a few months since I've had computers that old around the house. All of them have gone off to better homes, bless their hearts. -v-

That Compaq was especially useless in most respects, as it only had a dial-up modem and while running a liveCD it's only way of saving data would have been on floppy disks...plus it was unnervingly LOUD and made a whole range of strange revving, clacking, clicking and buzzing noises (which, admittedly, I find rather interesting in a computer).

QuoteI used to take care of lots of hermit crabs, so eating crabs makes me kinda/sorta feel like a cannibal. ^^;

Am surprised you don't eat seafood more often, given the [relative] proximity to the coastline. I'd figure the Maine catch would somehow make its way more cheaply to your state. ^^

Oh no, I eat a lot of seafood...just not a lot of crab.

Quote......Necromancy. XvX

A dead Xenix-sama would still would be more pleasant than a live SCO-tan :P

QuoteBWAHAHAHA!!!!! That was distributed to my friends within seconds of seeing that. ^___^

Haha!

QuoteWell... if she's adventurous enough to mess around in VMS terminals, SURELY she wouldn't mind doing a little dissection work on her router. ^______^

Ack, VMS is easy...wireless networking is difficult. ^^

QuoteSubmitted for your approval by a Mac Evangelist... The power of Vista

Bwahahaha!

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteHopefully you managed to give the Ibex a spin (although probably so if you confirmed it wasn't a coaster). -v-

Indeed I did.  Get this, we're having a problem with a scanner my brother borrowed (I'm pretty sure it's just Windows dicking with us), but I might be able to operate it from the LiveCD - HA!

QuoteBrother From Another Mother!! ^v^
*hugs ian*

So that would make me a Manbearpig?

Kidding aside, it's nice to know we share common tastes along with interests.

QuoteSubmitted for your approval by a Mac Evangelist... The power of Vista

Double HA!

QuoteThat sounds really tasty...

Really, it is.

QuoteThat Compaq was especially useless in most respects, as it only had a dial-up modem and while running a liveCD it's only way of saving data would have been on floppy disks...plus it was unnervingly LOUD and made a whole range of strange revving, clacking, clicking and buzzing noises (which, admittedly, I find rather interesting in a computer).

Eek, sounds all too familiar.  Many of the old desktops and craptops that I owned made similar worry-some noises.  I still use a floppy drive occasionally (small apps like GRUB editors, D-BAN, memtest seem like such a waste to put on a CD), and I have to say it's not a noise I relish hearing.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

QuoteEek, sounds all too familiar. Many of the old desktops and craptops that I owned made similar worry-some noises. I still use a floppy drive occasionally (small apps like GRUB editors, D-BAN, memtest seem like such a waste to put on a CD), and I have to say it's not a noise I relish hearing.
DELTA has no floppy port. A built-in wireless router/receiver does the job fine enough. ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

A few more links for old time's sake....

A little something to connect with the Vintage-tans....

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20081108095758770/Emulators.html

A little something I've been proposing for a long time....  ^^

http://www.linux.com/feature/152079

And a little something netbook related.  -v-

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/article.php/3784551/Why+Youll+Buy+a+Netbook+On+Black+Friday.htm

And that should wrap it up for me.  ^___^

Ian, Nejin, Guyveroz, Bella and Co.... thank you for making this thread one of a kind.  From bumpy beginnings, to a full 28 pages worth of pure Win!  ^v^

One more time for old time's sake.... -v-

LONG LIVE THE MAC EVANGELISTS, WINDOWS XP ZEALOTS, LINUX FANS AND UNIX DISCIPLES AGAINST WINDOWS VISTA CLUB!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^

*C-chan signs off*

NejinOniwa

QuoteLONG LIVE THE MAC EVANGELISTS, WINDOWS XP ZEALOTS, LINUX FANS AND UNIX DISCIPLES AGAINST WINDOWS VISTA CLUB!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^
*C-chan signs off*

Salutations, all hands!
*whips one*
And let it be known that the Coding, Drawing Pig of OSC ceased his hyperactivity on the day of the release of Intel Nehalem.
READY! AIM! FIRE!
*fires all cannons on EX-CO pirate ship*
And likely, the next you'll see me would be the last, yet first, place you'd expect me to be.
*sails off*

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteQuote:
Brother From Another Mother!! ^v^
*hugs ian*

So that would make me a Manbearpig?

Kidding aside, it's nice to know we share common tastes along with interests.

So yeah, this^ post kind of indicates that I had no idea what C-Day was.  Had I known, I suppose I would've offered a fond send-off.  Of course, there's the possibility senpai is still lurking, so what the hell.

C-Chan, you provided a great deal of the motivation that helped me to learn as much as I have about computers.  You were always there to lend your support and encouragement.  You were also very fun to have around and have been such an enrichment to me.  As I said before, we seem to share a number of common interests, perhaps I'll find you online in some other forum.  Either way, thank you - you've been a great help.  There's a shitload more I could type here, but I'll just keep this short.  Neither the MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club nor the OSC will be quite the same without you, but it is my hope that I can somehow contribute to the void left in your absence - here's hoping we cross paths again!

*raises glass of horchata*

G'nite fellas...

Smokey

*Now heavy Vista user sneaks a peek before fleeing off....*

Phew, noone around...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

NejinOniwa

SAY YOUR PRAYERS! *loads up ship-size antimatter cannon*

Smokey

HAH!
*creates a flurry of windows and UAC messages*

fufufufufufufufufufufu

*"user:Smokey=dissapeared" remains*
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

*opens wormhole to inside your shields*
iCheat! The newest crApple device available. Buy yours today!

...EXCEPT YOU WON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT, SUCKER!

IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR

Smokey

AAAAH!!!

*shields himself with an ancient MacBook*
Thanks Fedora-sama

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteLONG LIVE THE MAC EVANGELISTS, WINDOWS XP ZEALOTS, LINUX FANS AND UNIX DISCIPLES AGAINST WINDOWS VISTA CLUB!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^

Indeed, this place is just such a whirlwind of activity, ne? -__-;

DevArt stole our key contributors, those bastards (DevArt, not the contributors).  With all the Vista and Windows 7 news the past few months, you'd think more people would be posting here, but meh...

Anyway, I mostly used this place for tech support and Ubuntu questions since the Linux thread is pretty much dead (how many here are left that actually use GNU/Linux anyway?).  Not much has changed - I have yet another Ubuntu question.  I was searching the repos the other day and found an interesting little program called kawari8.  Apparently it's open-source middleware for something called ninix-aya, which I searched on wikipedia and found this.  So naturally I though there would be something about it in the ubuntuforums...no.  I tried searching for every relevant term I could and there was no result for any of them.  I googled it (relevant terms + Ubuntu), but couldn't find anything in English.  So is anyone familiar with this program, I can tell it's more of a resource-waster than anything else, but still my curiosity is piqued.

Cockleshell

-hops up and down- Ooh, ooh, can I join?

Vista is a joke...
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

NejinOniwa

Read the article. Sounds interesting as a concept, but as you say, resource-heavy to a fault. Also, since it's a japanese otaku-focused program, I heavily doubt you'd find anything not in moonspeak around the web. Too bad isn't it~

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, there's already a deskmate-like program for GNU/Linux called AMOR (Amusing Misuse Of Resources) that can "communicate" with the help of scripts and the dcopserver.  It's pretty neat, but there's no AI.  That's why this interested me so much.  Funny thing is I came across it while simply looking for animation tools.  Kind of weird to find this in repos, especially in the American repos, WTF?!