The "Old games I still like to play" thread

Started by Gussy Keniji, November 29, 2007, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitkin

That'd be great, stew! My parents used to have two complete and functional Amiga 500's but they were given away when I was around 15 years old, and I wasn't really asked for an opinion. ._. However, getting it shipped over the Atlantic would feel excessive especially since I'll be leaving even my dear C64's at my parents' place when moving to France... no space to put them in, not in usable condition... If I had some extra room saved up for retro computers I'd be taking that offer screaming, but now it'd just feel like adopting a bunny and then neglecting it. v.v

Chocofreak13

maybe that's something you could consider after the move?
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Awww...... she needs somewhere to go so I can keep my Apple ][ and Kaypro.  s'alright though, I figured what with the move and all new trans-oceanic Commodore products would be a stretch.

Chocofreak13

i'd be happy to take it. the oldest computer i have is from 1995.

bells might be better off with it, though, since she probably knows how to use it. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

One old game I still like to play from time to time is Chip's Challenge. It's a mainstay on my PCs (Or it's fanmade clone, Tile World; which has updated graphics and 64-bit Windows compatibility), and a game I still play occasionally even after beating it several times. This was the best part of that so-called refurbished PC my mom bought ages ago to replace the Yeti; this game just doesn't seem to get old...

Chocofreak13

*tacklehug*

I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE KNEW ABOUT CHIP'S CHALLENGE BUT ME!! <333
i have it, and i bookmarked a page with guides on how to advance since i'm bad at it. >__<;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I've played it since 2003; discovering it on a "refurbished" PC my mom bought to replace the Yeti. Of all the games that where left on there, Chip's Challenge was the best one; it reminding me of a Dexter's Laboratory game I used to play on Cartoon Network's website ages ago.

Most people I know had never heard of it, either; same thing with most any PC games from that era I've played aside from Doom

Chocofreak13

i first played Chip's Challenge when i was about 5. My uncle had just gotten a new computer (gateway desktop, roughly 1996-7), and since i spent so much time at his house (my aunt suzie and my cousin nina used to babysit me, not to mention my 3 cousins there were the closest in distance and age to me and my sis), i got to see it. with the setup, he had bought a cd with 50 games on it. some of my favourites were Jewel Thief (which didn't stay around for long, for some reason), Pipe Dream, Chip's Challenge, and Jezzball.

i've managed to track down and install Jewel Thief and Chip's Challenge; anyone who wants them is welcome to them. :3 (jewel thief was originally made in 1991, so it has that deliciously 16-bit feel. :3)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Jewel Thief and Pipe Dream where also on that PC I had. Buried somewhere, I have Jezzball as part of the Best of Windows Entertainment Pack; which I downloaded several years ago just for Chip's Challenge (Although, I don't think that collection had Jewel Thief; which was the only letdown of that download).

I'll try to see if I still have it buried in Frankenstein...

Chocofreak13

ooooo, i would greatly appriciate that. *w*
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I managed to find it, so I'll put it all together in a zip file with Reversi and send it to you tomorrow. It was a little troublesome getting Reversi, since I had to actually do a full installation of Windows 3.0 alongside the existing installation of 98SE, but hey; it's one game I've been wanting on 2k-tan for a while.

As an interesting but random thing I remember noticing with 2k's predecessor, TARDIS, just before it's processor fan died, was that Chip's Challenge somehow put more stress on it's processor than the much more advanced Half-Life 2.

Chocofreak13

.___.

maybe it was the backwards compatibility, since chip's was made for DOS and you were likely running NTFS?

oh, and i assume you sent that to my email. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I just sent the e-mail with the files.

Also, there was no telling with that PC; there toward the end, it had all kinds of weird bugs going on because it was getting a bit too warm.

Chocofreak13

the ones that act the weirdest are always the most fun. :3

ty for the files, guess we're even for the music, lol. xD
click to make it bigger

Pitkin

It's less than 10 years old, but Arcanum <3 <3 <3 Installed it again today and it runs through Wine nicely! ^-^