Main Menu

Show us your money!

Started by Kyo-Chan, October 07, 2007, 04:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyo-Chan

Rules: Picture of small coin such as a 25 cent peice or 1 yen. How much its worth American and a short description about it, such as what year it is or how you like it because its shiny.

This Is a 2007 Canadian 25 cent peice. Its worth 25 cents American.

Piinatsubataa pururun nanji! wai oh wai oh Piinatsubataa pururun nanji!

C-Chan

FUFUFU!!!!!!!  ^0^

NOW you're talking MY language, Banana-san.  ^___^

QuoteThis Is a 2007 Canadian 25 cent peice. Its worth 25 cents American.

Actually, it's worth slightly more than that, although not enough to round to a full cent.  Maybe in another week or so.... ^.^'

Anyway, here goes my first....  ^.^

Soviet-era Chervonetz gold bullion coin.  First issued in 1975 by the former USSR government to cash in on the emerging gold bullion craze brought about by the South African Krugerrand.  Like its South African counterpart, it's also .900 Fineness, but it's a relative midget at .2489 troy ounces.  It also remains the only gold bullion coin ever minted by that government, although several commemorative ones were minted (especially during the 1980 Summer Olympics).

The Chervonetz was not exceptionally popular when it first came out, but it has become very popular with Russian citizens in recent years, not only because of increasing wealth, but also growing mistrust of banks and paper money (and rightfully so, given the turbulent period of the 1990's).  At a non-inflation-adjusted record gold price of $742 USD per troy ounce, some quick math (essentially just divide that by 1/4) will yield an estimated melt price of $186 USD.  However, do to it's scarcity (albeit not with a very high demand in the West), it's melt price -- coupled with a slight numismatic boost - means that you can sell this coin at a market price starting at around $255USD.

Actually not my pic above, but the hell I'm going all the way to my vault at this hour.... T__T
(besides, I hate taking pictures of my coins)

Kami-Tux

I will just link to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_cent_euro_coins

Normally we have the coins with the Brandenburg gate but of course the other national variants tend to appear.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Q4(V)

>_>
<_<

some may take some time
bigger here

Added after 9 minutes:

I saw this on TV, i don't go around look for this lol

XDDDDDDDDDD

[attachment deleted by admin]

SleepyD

Quote from: "Q4(V)">_>
<_<

some may take some time
bigger here

Added after 9 minutes:

XDDDDDDDDDD

LOL, Q4M....

wow..... XD;

CaptBrenden

Forget coins, bills are so much more artistic

here is some iraqi dinar, compleat with dead dictator

"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Well,... I promised myself no forum games, but......... eh, what the hell, I'll indulge a little and get back in here.  ^.^

Quotesome may take some time
bigger here

Added after 9 minutes:

..................Okay, in typical QAM style, I have absolutely no clue what's coming out of his mouth.  ^______^'
But I'll just smile and nod politely at whatever mischief he has planned for the Euro coinage.  ^^;

QuoteForget coins, bills are so much more artistic

here is some iraqi dinar, compleat with dead dictator

*ROFL*
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!  ^v^

A person who chooses Art over Stability deserves neither.  -v-
I mean I enjoy a good foreign currency bill like the next person, but I've studied enough history to realize we're all running our lives and our economies on what used to just be cheap IOUs from banks (in exchange for REAL money).  

Case in point,... thosee Iraqi Dinar used to have a $1USD conversion rate, and now it barely qualifies as wallpaper (at least whatever wasn't burnt).  

Makes you wonder what it is that really gives purchasing power to that paper money of yours (or in recent years, that credit card plastic).  ^_______^

And if you know the answer, can you be sure it can last forever?  `v'

Now then,... if you want art AND stability, you can have your cake and eat it too if you use,...........

THIS!!!!!!!  ^V^

Well okay, not this precisely, but something like it.  ^.^'

This is the 2005 Chinese Silver Panda coin.  The Panda is one of the most popular and certainly the most expensive of all major investment-grade silver bullion coins currently circulating in the world today.  This is mostly do to the fact that it's the only major silver bullion coin that changes it's Reverse design every year (and one of the few silver bullion coins are offered in different sizes, the only other being the Mexican Silver Libertad).  The standard "10 Yuan" (a symbolic value only) Silver Panda is approximately 1 troy ounce (31.105 grams) and has the generic purity of 0.999 silver (in contrast, the Canadian Silver Maple offers the optimum 0.9999 purity).  

I the program began either in 1983, although the internationally-recognized 1 toz standard weight was not yet implemented.  The coins are primarily minted at Shenzhen, Shanghai and Shenyang, although the actual production is spread across smaller mints throughout the country.  

The Obverse design depicts the famous Temple of Heaven, with the "People's Republic of China" inscribed above, and the year of issue in the lower edge.  The Reverse design features a unique panda design, although in the last 4 years the panda is depicted either with a cub or a friend.  

Although gold prices have skyrocketed in recent months, silver is still kept at an artifically-low $13.77 USD per toz.  Nevertheless, because of the numsimatic value, expect to pay $20 USD or more just for the 2007 edition.  The 2005 edition shown above can actually go from anywhere between $28 to $31.50 USD.

CaptBrenden

Quote*ROFL*
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!! ^v^

A person who chooses Art over Stability deserves neither. -v-
I mean I enjoy a good foreign currency bill like the next person, but I've studied enough history to realize we're all running our lives and our economies on what used to just be cheap IOUs from banks (in exchange for REAL money).

Case in point,... thosee Iraqi Dinar used to have a $1USD conversion rate, and now it barely qualifies as wallpaper (at least whatever wasn't burnt).

Makes you wonder what it is that really gives purchasing power to that paper money of yours (or in recent years, that credit card plastic). ^_______^

And if you know the answer, can you be sure it can last forever? `v'

Are you on crack??

no no, seriously, are you on crack?!  You must be thinking something like the kuwaitty dinar that is 3 to one 1USD, but no, before the war iraqi dinar was some 1million dinar to 1USD.  thats why when the war first kicked off the Iraqis were selling anything and everything they could to the troops, even if it wasnt theirs.  If they could fool even one us soldier out of a 5 or a 20, they would be RICH.  

actually, post war value of the iraqi dinar has inceased SIGNIFICANTLY.  It fluctuates alot still but the current rate i just looked up is around 1,231.00 Iraqi Dinar's to 1 USD.  going from 1million to 1thousand sounds like its improved quite a bit dont you think?  Remember saddam had quite the war debt after desert storm, hence the oil for food program.  Which I'll remind you, he abused and used most of the proceeds to build over 100 palaces made of ivory and gold while his people starved.

The exchange rate increas has lead many US personel in iraq to buy up large amounts of iraqi dinar (some started along time ago when the difference was much wider) with the intent to exchange it when the values are more even or hopefully better. remember kuwaitts is 3 to 1.  if you bought 500 dollars with of iraq dinar when the war started, and then wait till the values even match up, then you will be one happ invester.

However, one thing you did say was correct, in a way.  the bills you see pictured are worthless. Any money with saddam truely is worthless and is worth no more then what a soldier will pay for a souviner (i bought 2 display boxes with a full set of coins, bills, military insignia and stamps for 5 dollars apiece in a bazzar just off base in fallujah)

and here we have 3 collectable coins from the marines.  Of course they have no value as currency, but they will get you drinks in a bar.. possibly.  The challange game played by the US military is a simple concept.  You keep cirtain coins with you when your in a bar.  If a fellow soldier/marine enters the bar and places a coin on the counter.  If you dont have your coin you owe him a drink, but if he challenged you and you DO have your coin he owes you a drink.  Depending on what county your in or what your order and how many times you do this your coin could be valuble indeed.

the three coins pictured here are first, my rank coin.  The most common of coins you simply carry the coin of your  rank in the military.  Now the game gets confusing at this poin as cirtain coins can BEAT your rank coin.  Rank coin is generic, and can be beaten by someone presenting a unit or special award coin, its value depending on who or what it was awarded for.  

which comes to the next two coins.  The first of the 2 coins is the 2/8 battalion coin for 2006 2007 deployment.  Now if any of you remember (tho i doubt you do) I was in battalion 1/1 not 2/8.  2/8 relived my battalion in Iraq and we went home. I was awarded this coin for painting 2/8's logo on a sort of.. sign structure just outside of the command center we were turning over to them before they arrived.  So shocked and amazed that I painted that their battalion seargeant major (highest ranking enlisted in the battalion) sought me out and awarded me one of their unit coins (which they hadnt even awarded any of THEIR marines with yet!)

Le proof!
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/ac95bc775efc34c685256ab50049d458/54f23d4243e39c7b852571c6003777ae?OpenDocument

Thats a prestigious coin GET.

The final coin is a coin awarded to me by the commandant of the marine corps.  AKA The Big Cheese.  Srsly.  He is it.  The grand commander of the marine corps.  the head hancho.  There is no one over him in the marines.  Next comes the secretary of the navy, then secretary of defence, and then the commander in chief.

Its my trump card.  No one can present a coin awarded by anyone that can beat that. The only thing that beats it is one awarded by a more current commandant.

I got it for asking him a question infront of 2000 marines.  -_-

C-Chan

Dude, thanks for detailing all that information, especially the part about bar protocol and how you got awarded by the 2/8th.  The pictures of the military tokens are awesome, and yes no matter what they say, those will always have greater value than your standard money if only for the size and metal content (atop from the intrinsic value of being military -- I assume everyone in the States loves the military).

If these were the good ol's days of metal based currency, no doubt you really could've used those in the public sector (makes me curious about investigating British and American military tokens from the 19th century to see if I'm correct).

As for the dinar thing, though, I should politely remind that there were in fact two wars waged on Iraq in recent history, not including the Iraqi-Iranian War (which Iraq in fact started).  In the 80's, yes the Iraqi Dinar and Kuwaiti Dinar were comparable to each other in terms of value -- now of course, only the Kuwaiti Dinar retains that value (and is considered the highest valued currency in the world thus far).

Should've warned that C-chan time is a bit expansive.  ^^'
(I can even tell you how much metal a Widow Mite holds, for example.  -v-')

A bit more reading on the Iraqi Dinar:  

http://www.edinarfinancial.net/history.php

And for your hard work, I grant you access to the intrinsic metal value table of your own coinage:

http://www.coinflation.com/

Hopefully you'll want to sift through your change after this.  ^.^

CaptBrenden

-_- well, once again, HE caused that to his people by trying to invade Kuwaitt.  You spoke as if the devaluing of the dinar was OUR fault recently.

C-Chan

Quote-_- well, once again, HE caused that to his people by trying to invade Kuwaitt. You spoke as if the devaluing of the dinar was OUR fault recently.

Nah, that's just you being self-conscious yet again.  -v-
(Unless,.... *gleems* ...maybe you know something you're not telling us?  *v*)

It is true that money and politics are one in the same (you can tell a lot about a country's history by its coins).  Nevertheless, the issue of "blame" should be a discussion best reserved in another time and in another place.  Digging deeper not only takes a helluva lot of time, but it's also disturbing and infurating-enough to break the merry mood of numismatics. ^.^

The short of it can be boiled down into one universal truism:  "If you don't want to end up homeless, clueless and penniless, don't depend on others to do all the working, thinking and spending for you."

Speaking of which, I think this thread could use a little bit of quizzing.... -v-

Identify the name of this coin correctly, and I'll award you with traditional C-chan Coin Geek Spiel.

Hint:  Despite it's bland appearance, that coin is in fact the most world-reknown and most widely-circulated coin in known history!  @__@

Darknight_88

Nice medals Captain. I would have never suspected how they gave those and what were their possible uses.

Identify the name of this coin correctly, and I'll award you with traditional C-chan Coin Geek Spiel.

1780 Maria Theresa Silver Thaler
from Austria.

No, I'm not a coin collectionist, I just happened to be around.

I just googled "1780 Austria coin", after looking the filename :D
Also, googling "most famous coin" could have gave me the same results. Or simply looking at the writing in the coin. Funnily, that was the last thing that crossed my mind :D

Damn you /a/, for forcing me to looking @ the filenames in order to get a source.
Of course, there would be an actual merit If I had know without looking at google. I'm that cheap.
But anyway, where's my Coin?

C-Chan

WOW!!! Well, I guess I shouldn't be TOO impressed, since Darknight is the "Darknight" after all (aka, Batman).  So his investigative work would've yielded results evenually.  ^___^

Great work -- indeed that is the coins name, although the 1780 date and Austria location is a bit,... misleading.  ^.^

I'll explain more during my spield, but for now....

...well I didn't say I'd be offering rewards, but what the hell... -v-

YOU'RE PRIZE COIN!!!!!  ^V^

CaptBrenden

well before i looked at the source i guessed mexico.  I dont feel like doing the research further tho.  But where its from is plainly obvious.

anyhow, for my next show and tell I have Fills!

500, 100 and 50 fills.  and one compleatly worthless MWR coin.  Picked up all, obviously, in bahrain.  I was there a week, getting drunk.  My head hurts thinking about it.  The MWR coin was a token used at the recreation facility on base there to reduce the amount of actuall money floating around.  They do the same thing in Iraq right now, exept they use little paper "pogs" with coin values on them.  Instead of reciving real change youll get this military coinage.  Useless for contractors or locals to steal, easier to keep in stock for over seas (it costs more then a penny to ship a penny over seas) and since everyone leaves them in their pockets when they wash their clothes, they get destroyed and they made some extra money on your purchase.

C-Chan

Sweeeeeeeeeeet,... coins from Bahrain.  ^__^
I only have a commemorative Ag coin from there which I'll try to dig up later.  -v-

Currently locked in drawing mode, but will be back.  ^___^

*trots off*