OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Sorry,... haven't been feeling really well lately,...  ^^;
Don't mind me if the backlog persists a bit... and my writing is a bit uninspired...  -.-'

Just can't imagine all the catching up I'll have to do after I recover.  -.-'

Will you still add in PET-chan and C64-tan? If you have the time to?

Still, I'm looking forward to the completion of that picture and continuation of the ZS Xmas comic!

Oh for sure, already got their poses planned and all.  PET-chan will brandish her old sword, and C64-tan will do some,... merchandising.  `v'

QuoteOoooh! That's a really neat approach to the story! I like it!

As well as her encounters with OSR 2.5-tan that changed both of their lives for the better, I also hope to include:

Yeah, now that you detail it to that extent, that COULD make for an excellent comic!  ^^
BTW, you needn't worry too much about the details for MSBOB-tan.  Since these would be 2.1-tan's memoirs, she could easily piece together a story of her based on her own childhood memories as well as bits and pieces of newsclips and documented sources from M$.  I'd imagine she'd be really good at researching.

Nice! I like that it is a light-hearted way to end this sappy comic, and that it is true to both characters and of course I like the throwback to that OSR 2.5-tan 4Koma series!

I like to think of them as a kind of mini Binteji Renmei for Windows-tans.  Perhaps once in a blue moon, 2.1-sama might offer food and shelter for fellow Window-tan wanderers.  -v-

Oh my gawd... The sap! The irony! The sadness of it all... too powerful for me to express in words

I know! I will draw a DR DOS-tan + QDOS-tan group picture! *adds to queue*

Whoops,... I should start keep my ideas to myself.  All I do is increase your Queue.  ^^;

She could be DR DOS-tan's sister! And to DR DOS-tan's daughters, she is auntie GEM-chan! And because Atari TOS-tan is GEM-tan's twin sister, that'd make her auntie TOS-tan! But don't call her that though. That will make her feel old and she does not like that at all!

Oh yeah, that - would - not - be - pretty!  ^v^;

But I definitely love the ideas... "Auntie GEM-tan" has a nice ring to it (notwithstanding that some of the nieces are actually LOWER).  ^___^;

Yup! Although GEM-tan has suffered a lot (physically and mentally), she is one of the much luckier Vintage-tans; having a very supportive sister, being open-sourced, being with her neices, being close friends with Amiga-tan and also becoming Lisa-tan's best friend!

And now that you phrase it THAT way, I can definitely see why GEM-chan would eventually recover.
I wanted to also expound on the fact that her sister being a great doctor (albeit a self-appointed one) probably was a big contributor to that.  ^___^

QuoteGEM-tan was confined to a wheelchair for being too weak to walk but little by little with the help of her friends, she was able to muster up the strength to be able to walk again and she is very grateful for all the help she has gotten and returns the favor by helping the other Vintage-tans, especially those that really really need it (i.e: Lisa-tan, QDOS-tan, Windows 1.0-tan, 2.0-tan, Altair-tan)

And that's too sweet of her.  ^_____^
Now where'd I put that stamp of hers?  ^.^

QuoteWhy, yes! Since Altair-tan's hobbies are making calculators (and other small electronic gadgets) and model rockets, it is very likely that she has consulted MenuetOS-tan at some point. And since MenuetOS-tan is still only a beta OS and she still has a lot to learn, helping out Altair-tan would be valuable training for her and the two could become friends! (which both girls really do need)

Incidentally, that is kind of the same reason why MenuetOS-tan and OSR 2.1-tan know each other!

Connections, connections!  Told you it was all about WHO you know as much as WHAT you know that counts.  ^____^
No surprise that all the craftier OS-tans know that.  ^.^

QuoteI don't have a lot of ideas for QL-tan yet, but I know for sure she strongly resembles ZX Spectrum-tan, is "Quantum Leap"-inspired, tries to be professional but has childish habits that get in the way. She is also prone to rushing things and is extremely scatterbrained.

That sounds about right -- a pretty close parallel between ][-chan to Lisa, AtariDOS-tan to AtariTOS-tan, TRSDOS-tan to CoCo-tan....

Must be a generational thing.  ^.^'

One last bit of info on a potental QL-tan,...
The actual operating system for the machine is called "Sinclair QDOS"... not related, btw, to our QDOS (which is actually 86-DOS).  ^^;

QuoteWhat exactly is that Run Prompt in XP? I mean, there's no way it could be DOS since XP is based off of NT!  

Honstly not even sure.  I always imagined it was a DOS emulator of sorts.  ^^;

QuoteAtariTOS-tan wears long socks. However, you forgot OS/2-tan!

Aw crap!  Did forget the multitasking goddess. ^.^

In any event,... yeah, my replies do feel a bit uninspired.  Sorry... -v-

Better just get some shut eye instead.  ^^;

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "C-Chan"Sorry,... haven't been feeling really well lately,...  ^^;
Don't mind me if the backlog persists a bit... and my writing is a bit uninspired...  -.-'

Just can't imagine all the catching up I'll have to do after I recover.  -.-'
Sorry you are not feeling well :(

Oh for sure, already got their poses planned and all.  PET-chan will brandish her old sword, and C64-tan will do some,... merchandising.  `v'
Super cool! I can't wait to see it! :D

What will also be great about that picture is that it will sort of fulfill the Commodore-Amiga family picture idea you wanted to draw! On its own it was way too ambitious but splitting it into two pictures (the AROS + Morph OS 1.x + Morph OS 2 pic, and the Commodore-tans pic), it becomes more manageable!

Yeah, now that you detail it to that extent, that COULD make for an excellent comic!  ^^
BTW, you needn't worry too much about the details for MSBOB-tan.  Since these would be 2.1-tan's memoirs, she could easily piece together a story of her based on her own childhood memories as well as bits and pieces of newsclips and documented sources from M$.  I'd imagine she'd be really good at researching.
That works much better! And this will be the 4th OS-tan Flashbackstory Chronicles story.

I like to think of them as a kind of mini Binteji Renmei for Windows-tans.  Perhaps once in a blue moon, 2.1-sama might offer food and shelter for fellow Window-tan wanderers.  -v-
That is so nice, and another example that the wanderer class is not necessarily "every -tan for herself"! ^_^

Whoops,... I should start keep my ideas to myself.  All I do is increase your Queue.  ^^;
Nah, that's perfectly alright! These ideas can give me inspiration to draw all kinds of pictures I otherwise wouldn't have considered!  

Oh yeah, that - would - not - be - pretty!  ^v^;
... Auntie TOS-tan! ;006

*gets high-heeled shoe thrown at her head* x__X
TOS-tan: Gimme back my shoe.

But I definitely love the ideas... "Auntie GEM-tan" has a nice ring to it (notwithstanding that some of the nieces are actually LOWER).  ^___^;
Under some bizarre circumstances it is possible to have an aunt/uncle that is younger than the niece/nephew!

QuoteGEM-tan was confined to a wheelchair for being too weak to walk but little by little with the help of her friends, she was able to muster up the strength to be able to walk again and she is very grateful for all the help she has gotten and returns the favor by helping the other Vintage-tans, especially those that really really need it (i.e: Lisa-tan, QDOS-tan, Windows 1.0-tan, 2.0-tan, Altair-tan)

And that's too sweet of her.  ^_____^
Now where'd I put that stamp of hers?  ^.^

over here...

That sounds about right -- a pretty close parallel between ][-chan to Lisa, AtariDOS-tan to AtariTOS-tan, TRSDOS-tan to CoCo-tan....
Huge contrast between siblings!:

][-chan is cheerful, friendly and very hard-working!
Lisa-chan is melancholy, and formerly spoiled!

AtariDOS-chan is a sweet and old-fashioned (but very youthful!) magician!
AtariTOS-tan is a self-conscious diva wanting to keep up with the times and in extreme denial of gettng old! She also contrasts greatly with her biological sisters [DR DOS-tan and GEM-tan] as well!

TRSDOS-chan is extremely conservative, puritanical, uptight and stubborn!
CoCo-tan is much more laid-back and much less conservative!

ZX Spectrum-chan has terrible fashion sense but is highly intelligent, a great researcher and writer!
Sinclair QL-tan has better fashion sense at least, but is extremely scatterbrained!

One last bit of info on a potental QL-tan,...
The actual operating system for the machine is called "Sinclair QDOS"... not related, btw, to our QDOS (which is actually 86-DOS).  ^^;
I knew about that, but it's still... Kinda bizarre!

C-Chan

What will also be great about that picture is that it will sort of fulfill the Commodore-Amiga family picture idea you wanted to draw! On its own it was way too ambitious but splitting it into two pictures (the AROS + Morph OS 1.x + Morph OS 2 pic, and the Commodore-tans pic), it becomes more manageable!

Wow!  You just give me an idea!  @v@

if I can finish that picture (and I mean REALLY finish, with PETchan and C64-tan), why not import the others?  After all, they're all SVG files,... it'd only be a matter of changing the lighting.  ^.^

I would need to draw a new Miggy pic if I did that, or just use the one meant for the 1985 pic (as if to show that she still has the original piece).  ^.^

QuoteThat is so nice, and another example that the wanderer class is not necessarily "every -tan for herself"!

Oh no -- or rather, it IS "every -tan for herself", but that just means they're free to live however they want to.  Even if it means helping others under-the-table.  ^.^

Quote... Auntie TOS-tan!

*gets high-heeled shoe thrown at her head* x__X
TOS-tan: Gimme back my shoe.

*realizes heel is lodged into head*

Whoops..... that's gonna be hard to pull out.  ^^;

QuoteUnder some bizarre circumstances it is possible to have an aunt/uncle that is younger than the niece/nephew!

I guess I can relate from my own family.  -.-

Quote][-chan is cheerful, friendly and very hard-working!
Lisa-chan is melancholy, and formerly spoiled!

AtariDOS-chan is a sweet and old-fashioned (but very youthful!) magician!
AtariTOS-tan is a self-conscious diva wanting to keep up with the times and in extreme denial of gettng old! She also contrasts greatly with her biological sisters [DR DOS-tan and GEM-tan] as well!

TRSDOS-chan is extremely conservative, puritanical, uptight and stubborn!
CoCo-tan is much more laid-back and much less conservative!

ZX Spectrum-chan has terrible fashion sense but is highly intelligent, a great researcher and writer!
Sinclair QL-tan has better fashion sense at least, but is extremely scatterbrained!

Wow!  What's with all these generational gaps. ^^;

It's probably due to the strict discipline, but the Commodore-tans were all very uniform in character back in the old days. Amiga-chan was the first major disruption to their lives -- but after the company fell, they all started freeing their own unique personalities.

QuoteI knew about that, but it's still... Kinda bizarre!

Well maybe she kinda looks like her (not unlike how OS-9 and Mac OS9 look alike), but obviously taller and more developed.  Probably would be an injoke to consider QL-tan as a "what-if" for QDOS-chan.

Plus, I imagine QL-tan would be the only person in the world trying to enforce the young girl's REAL name (= "86DOS-tan").

Added after 8 hours 27 minutes:

BTW, very happy to announce the completion of Commodore VIC20-tan/Commodore 128-tan portraiture.  At least for now... depending on how well the Xmas comic goes, I might add PETchan and C64-tan later.  ^.^

Large Version:
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/VIC20-C128-Final.png

Bella

QuoteActually, Linus' second computer was a Sinclair QL, the younger sister(?) to ZX Spectrum-tan. Never really thought of making a QL-tan, although the OS name for the machine is rather,... interesting,... in a conflicting kinda way. ^^;

But it was the great Linus' second computer! Somebody had better make a -tan!!!1!

BTW, Aurora, I really like your ideas. I also like C-Chan's idea to make her look a hint like QDOS-chan. :D

QuoteNah,... a lot of my associates thought of DOS as that text menu that appears right before Windows Safe Mode, or that little shell window that you get when you type "cmd" in XP's Run Prompt. Interestingly-enough, I've used my drawings (and yours/Bella's) to teach a very,..... "memorable" history about computers OSes, to help rectify that sacrilege. ^___^

Really?! Our drawings are helping somebody, somewhere, learn more about OSes!? ^///^

QuoteAs well as her encounters with OSR 2.5-tan that changed both of their lives for the better, I also hope to include:

- 2.1-tan talking about MS BOB-tan; who was hers, 3.1-tan's and 95-tan's caretaker
- MS BOB-tan running away and OSR 2.1-tan being devestated by that
(although I stated that OSR 2.1-tan was too young to remember MS BOB-tan, but maybe because of the parallels of hers and OSR 2.5-tan's stories, maybe she suddenly remembered!)
- OSR 2.1-tan's fondness of hi-tech gadgets being put to use as she was to introduce USB support to Windows
- How she ran away because of her failures, thinking that was the only way to go.
- The first competition between OSR 2.5-tan and 98-tan! OSR 2.5-tan loses and leaves too because of the competitive and "if you lose, you are a loser for life!" mentalities that had become common in their family
- Scenes of OSR 2.5-tan alone as a wanderer and wallowing in misery, barely having enough money to support herself
- The OSR 2 sisters reunite, OSR 2.1-tan helps OSR 2.5-tan get her life back together and restore her confidence!

This sounds like a good idea...I don't have much to input, though : \

QuoteShe could be DR DOS-tan's sister! And to DR DOS-tan's daughters, she is auntie GEM-chan!  And because Atari TOS-tan is GEM-tan's twin sister, that'd make her auntie TOS-tan! But don't call her that though. That will make her feel old and she does not like that at all!
Ahah! This explains why GEM-chan is in the DOS' picture!
Yup! Although GEM-tan has suffered a lot (physically and mentally), she is one of the much luckier Vintage-tans; having a very supportive sister, being open-sourced, being with her neices, being close friends with Amiga-tan and also becoming Lisa-tan's best friend!

GEM-tan was confined to a wheelchair for being too weak to walk but little by little with the help of her friends, she was able to muster up the strength to be able to walk again and she is very grateful for all the help she has gotten and returns the favor by helping the other Vintage-tans, especially those that really really need it (i.e: Lisa-tan, QDOS-tan, Windows 1.0-tan, 2.0-tan, Altair-tan)

Wut? GEM is open source? I didn't know this...at any rate, GEM-tan sounds very nice and like a great person to have around!

QuoteBTW, very happy to announce the completion of Commodore VIC20-tan/Commodore 128-tan portraiture. At least for now... depending on how well the Xmas comic goes, I might add PETchan and C64-tan later. ^.^

Now THIS is my new background! :D

Just gorgeous, I really love how you did the shading; it's so dramatic. VIC20-tan is very serene and professional looking; and as I've said before, 128-tan is adorable in a very tough kinda way. I love her outfit, it's very imaginative; she has an awesome weapon, and I really like her hair, too. Her eyes are...really freaky, actually, it looks like she could melt steel off the Chrysler Building! But in a good way XD

Anyhoo, I have some interesting discoveries to tell about...I've delved into the possibly not-so-acurite yet very thought-provoking world of computer folklore!

It started as a quick snippet on a Slashdot (or...some other tech-centric forum, it eludes me right now), regarding VOS, everybody's favorite uber-powerful fault-tollerant OS.

Some know-it-all wrote:
QuoteMultics was developed with US government money, so clever folks at Honeywell, Prime and Stratus got the code for (virtually) free by filing a Freedom of Information act request. Stratus' VOS is a Multic derivative that is still for sale and used on mission critical systems such as the defense center at Cheyenne Mountain, CO not to mention stock ticker plants.

What's that, you say? VOS is a code decendant of Multics? Well, there were no references to this fact, nor do I believe that the government's input of money into the project would allow one to see the code by filing a Freedom of Information act request. But it raises a rather interesting question.

So I hopped on over to alt.folklore.computers to see what other interesting legends I could dig up...it was a mindblowingly fun waste of time, I gotta say.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.folklore.computers/topics

While there's a helluva lotta spamming going on, try doing a serch. Try typing one seemingly unrelated OS+another unrelated OS and chances are, somebody, somewhere, will have some theory that they're related.

They make a case for the NT/VMS tie, and that VMS skimmed the best features from ITS and TOPS; they have some people who are positive Linux is a hardcore Unix clone, and that Windows, well...stole from just about everyone in the industry. Don't even get me started on Multics, whom they make out to be some kind of Mitochondrial Eve of operating systems. No, really, I've seen about every OS tied back to Multics in some way. Unix, VOS, VMS (>Windows NT), certainly most timesharing systems; but even the DLL files and other common stuff found in Windows, they say, has its roots in Multics.

I dunno how this would tie into OS-tan lore, only that everybody's genetics is one big, scrambled, interelated mess ^^

C-Chan

QuoteReally?! Our drawings are helping somebody, somewhere, learn more about OSes!? ^///^

I know, what's the world coming to?  -v-

QuoteNow THIS is my new background!  

*squeals with delight*

Just imagine if I add the other characters.... ^__^

QuoteJust gorgeous, I really love how you did the shading; it's so dramatic. VIC20-tan is very serene and professional looking; and as I've said before, 128-tan is adorable in a very tough kinda way. I love her outfit, it's very imaginative; she has an awesome weapon, and I really like her hair, too. Her eyes are...really freaky, actually, it looks like she could melt steel off the Chrysler Building! But in a good way XD

Ah... feeling a bit of deja vu.  By VIC20-tan, I believe you mean C128-san, and by C128-tan I think you mean VIC20-chan.  Part of the whole "younger -tans look older" thing.  ^__^'

VIC20-tan's weapon is an M1903 Springfield service rifle, not unlike the one used by Triela in Gunslinger Girl.  At first glance the bayonet seems to be missing,... but it's there somewhere.....  ^__~
Should probably note that C128-tan also carries a small firearm as well, but she's far better at concealing it than her own older sister.

Ironically, PETchan's eyes are actually scarier than VIC20-chan's -- I can imagine her steely gaze was a result of trying to imitate her older sister (who now prefers to keep them shut perpetually).  ^^

QuoteI dunno how this would tie into OS-tan lore, only that everybody's genetics is one big, scrambled, interelated mess ^^

Uh...........  '__'

*brain explodes*

So uh...

After all that,... we're really back where we started then, aren't we?  ^_______^;

Gotta disappear for now,... have a UNIX panel to fix, a CIOST panel to start, Python to practice and some of your art to drool over.  ^.^

Aurora Borealis

Wow!  You just give me an idea!  @v@

if I can finish that picture (and I mean REALLY finish, with PETchan and C64-tan), why not import the others?  After all, they're all SVG files,... it'd only be a matter of changing the lighting.  ^.^
Your original idea fulfilled!

I would need to draw a new Miggy pic if I did that, or just use the one meant for the 1985 pic (as if to show that she still has the original piece).  ^.^
Oh! That's right! Amiga-sama isn't in either of them! But you'd need to change the clothes, hair and face if using the Amiga-sama pic from that 1985 portraiture. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem since you are working with SVGs (well, at least less of a problem than if trying to do it with raster graphics!)

Oh no -- or rather, it IS "every -tan for herself", but that just means they're free to live however they want to.  Even if it means helping others under-the-table.  ^.^
True, the wanderers are out fending for themselves (hence the "every -tan for herself") but it's not completely that way because some wanders band together and a few are willing to help others out.

*realizes heel is lodged into head*

Whoops..... that's gonna be hard to pull out.  ^^;
AAAAAAAAH! The heel is poked into my BRAAAAAAIN!

Okay, just try to yank the shoe out as quickly as possible. I'll be in excruciating pain, but probably less than if it were yanked out slowly.

Wow!  What's with all these generational gaps. ^^;
Crazy, huh? Also, there is a huge generation gap between the Windows-tans, and a series of generation gaps between the Mac-tans!

It's probably due to the strict discipline, but the Commodore-tans were all very uniform in character back in the old days. Amiga-chan was the first major disruption to their lives -- but after the company fell, they all started freeing their own unique personalities.
I do recall reading that Amiga-sama was not liked at all by the Commodore-tans (maybe except for C128-san, who was at least nice enough to be even remotely welcoming of her) back then, and I wonder if that is the reason!

Of course I know that C64-tan especially hated Amiga-sama because of her musical abilities. Now how did they reconcile?!

Well maybe she kinda looks like her (not unlike how OS-9 and Mac OS9 look alike), but obviously taller and more developed.  Probably would be an injoke to consider QL-tan as a "what-if" for QDOS-chan.

But it was the great Linus' second computer! Somebody had better make a -tan!!!1!

BTW, Aurora, I really like your ideas. I also like C-Chan's idea to make her look a hint like QDOS-chan. :D

Okay! Sinclair QL-tan coming up!

Well... she's almost be a "what-if" for QDOS-chan, except for the fact that QL-tan is extremely scatterbrained.

BTW, very happy to announce the completion of Commodore VIC20-tan/Commodore 128-tan portraiture.  At least for now... depending on how well the Xmas comic goes, I might add PETchan and C64-tan later.  ^.^

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/normal_VIC20-C128-Final.png
Wow! The finalized lighting and shading are beautiful! ;019

Really?! Our drawings are helping somebody, somewhere, learn more about OSes!? ^///^
Awesome!

I really like the OS-tans not just because of their cuteness but also their backstories and that I have learned so much more about computers and OSes since joining (err... first posting on) OSC!

For example: I knew of the Amiga but didn't know it had descendants [Morph OS and AROS], I knew of the Commodore 64 and PET but not the VIC-20 or 128. I knew a little about FreeBSD and BSD but didn't know there were many other BSD variants! Nor did I know there were OSes around before Bell Labs Unix. Or that Windows NT and its descendants aren't really related to the other Windows OSes. And then I learned all about the DEC OSes! I now know all the OSes from Apple (the only one I never heard of before joining was A/UX)!

Wut? GEM is open source? I didn't know this...at any rate, GEM-tan sounds very nice and like a great person to have around!
GEM was open sourced by Novell in 1999 (Novell bought out Digital Research in the early 1990's). And IIRC, DR-DOS was open sourced under a different name.

They make a case for the NT/VMS tie, and that VMS skimmed the best features from ITS and TOPS; they have some people who are positive Linux is a hardcore Unix clone, and that Windows, well...stole from just about everyone in the industry. Don't even get me started on Multics, whom they make out to be some kind of Mitochondrial Eve of operating systems. No, really, I've seen about every OS tied back to Multics in some way. Unix, VOS, VMS (>Windows NT), certainly most timesharing systems; but even the DLL files and other common stuff found in Windows, they say, has its roots in Multics.
That is very interesting and I know that Multics and Unix are extremely influential, but I'm still skeptical about the claim that every OS being tied back to Multics though.

I dunno how this would tie into OS-tan lore, only that everybody's genetics is one big, scrambled, interelated mess ^^
But if that's true, that would mean everyone would be family!

Bella

QuoteWow! You just give me an idea! @v@

if I can finish that picture (and I mean REALLY finish, with PETchan and C64-tan), why not import the others? After all, they're all SVG files,... it'd only be a matter of changing the lighting. ^.^

Wow...that's not a bad idea...

QuoteIt's probably due to the strict discipline, but the Commodore-tans were all very uniform in character back in the old days. Amiga-chan was the first major disruption to their lives -- but after the company fell, they all started freeing their own unique personalities.

I always thought the Commodore-tans were pretty fun-loving; I didn't know that they had that strict a military order.

QuoteAh... feeling a bit of deja vu. By VIC20-tan, I believe you mean C128-san, and by C128-tan I think you mean VIC20-chan. Part of the whole "younger -tans look older" thing. ^__^'

VIC20-tan's weapon is an M1903 Springfield service rifle, not unlike the one used by Triela in Gunslinger Girl. At first glance the bayonet seems to be missing,... but it's there somewhere..... ^__~
Should probably note that C128-tan also carries a small firearm as well, but she's far better at concealing it than her own older sister.

Ironically, PETchan's eyes are actually scarier than VIC20-chan's -- I can imagine her steely gaze was a result of trying to imitate her older sister (who now prefers to keep them shut perpetually). ^^

Oh lawd....get me a pointy hat 'cause I'm officially a dunce >____<

About the bayonet, is it folded up or something? And is that a knife on her right leg?

And PET-chan has scary eyes? No wai! She seems so sweet!

*imagines VIC20, PET-chan and Unix-sama three-way stare-off contest*

Yeah, that would probably cause a China Syndrome-like meltdown...@___@

QuoteAwesome!

I really like the OS-tans not just because of their cuteness but also their backstories and that I have learned so much more about computers and OSes since joining (err... first posting on) OSC!

For example: I knew of the Amiga but didn't know it had descendants [Morph OS and AROS], I knew of the Commodore 64 and PET but not the VIC-20 or 128. I knew a little about FreeBSD and BSD but didn't know there were many other BSD variants! Nor did I know there were OSes around before Bell Labs Unix. Or that Windows NT and its descendants aren't really related to the other Windows OSes. And then I learned all about the DEC OSes! I now know all the OSes from Apple (the only one I never heard of before joining was A/UX)!

Before joining, I think I knew more about the history of modern computers than older ones. I knew all about Windows and a lot about Mac, and had heard of Linux and Unix but didn't know much about them; same goes for some vintage computers, like the Commodores and the Altair and stuff. I hadn't heard of any antique (pre 70s) OSes, not did I know about VMS or any of the DEC OSes.

QuoteGEM was open sourced by Novell in 1999 (Novell bought out Digital Research in the early 1990's). And IIRC, DR-DOS was open sourced under a different name.

Oh, I see...

QuoteThat is very interesting and I know that Multics and Unix are extremely influential, but I'm still skeptical about the claim that every OS being tied back to Multics though.

Just for instance, they refer to (and Wikipedia backs up the fact that) object segments in Multics being a precursor of DLL files. Does that make Windows related to Multics? No. Does the case that a feature inside Windows has its roots Multics? Yeah.

QuoteBut if that's true, that would mean everyone would be family!

Again, I think it depends of your idea of what family is. Just as all humans (or any members of a species) are "related" in a way because they all contain common genetics, have bodies that work generally the same way, and have some similar mental or emotional traits, a great deal of OSes have common traits.

Does this make all OSes related? No, I think only code or acting very much like another OS can make a case for two OSes being related. But most do share some common points. So it depends on what you think is "family" ;)

Bella

Oh look, it's a bunch of app-kuns and an app-tan! My first serious drawings of anime-style boys ^_^

On the right, that's either ed-kun or vi-kun. I hadn't decided which, but I figured both would share some relation. So...supposing he's ed-kun, he'd be quite difficult and shy and misunderstood, and he would be friends with Unix-sama (as ed was the first Unix text editor, written by Ken Thompson) as well as some of the older Unixen.

Next in line is Red-kun. Red is a VMS text editor. This character just kinda popped into my head-- a wild-eyed, hot-headed guy, always looking for a fight and who never knows when to hold back. Kinda the complete opposite of the suave, stoic VMS-sama. They'd constantly be fighting about everything, like an old married couple XD

Next up is Emacs-kun, you're stereotypical sensitive, smart, wavy haired bohemian/hippie guy who all the young Unix and Linux-tans swoon over. He was born in the golden age of the MIT hacker culture, and would have looked to ITS-san as something of a friend and mentor in his youth (as ITS was the OS Emacs was built on), as well as befriending TOPS and Tenex-tan as some point.

As for heights of these guys...maybe...4' 9'', 5' 7'' (shorter than VMS-sama! ZOMG!), and a good 5' 10'', 11'' or so. XD

Ehm...next in line is VLC-tan. Cause VLC is a nice little media player.

Siya

Boys!  And applications!  Both are so underrepresented here (though not unrepresented).  Great job, Bella-san!

Bella

^ Hear hear!

I should also note that all three of these -kuns are avid writers and readers. In fact, the only thing VMS-sama can do to shut Red-kun up is pile a bunch of books in front of him. I suppose only while reading would he be busy enough to stop his diatribes about...everything XD

Aurora Borealis

That ed-kun or vi-kun is cute! I like how Red-kun is the opposite of VMS-sama in personality and Emacs-kun is so handsome! VLC-tan is very cute too (I have VLC on my computer!) and very close to the preconcept I had in mind for her (short hair, traffic cone hat but I had no idea for her outfit. I also had in mind that her traffic cone hat doubles as a megaphone!)

C-Chan

Oh! That's right! Amiga-sama isn't in either of them! But you'd need to change the clothes, hair and face if using the Amiga-sama pic from that 1985 portraiture. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem since you are working with SVGs (well, at least less of a problem than if trying to do it with raster graphics!)

Or,... I could just assume that she went for the "retro" look that day for the sake of the picture.  After all, she wears the same hat and has the same eyes and has only grown a little bit more,... all she would need to do is don her old cadet uniform and tie her hair in pigtails.  ^__^

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mature the face a bit... after all, she should start acting a little more like a mother than a bright-eyed pup.  ^^

AAAAAAAAH! The heel is poked into my BRAAAAAAIN!

Okay, just try to yank the shoe out as quickly as possible. I'll be in excruciating pain, but probably less than if it were yanked out slowly.

Oh wait,... you want ME to do that?!  No way, suppose the hole starts squirting brain fluid at me?!!  @__@

And besides, you might want to consider... you know... bending down a bit first........ ¬¬'

*oinks a bit, as if to give Aurora a clue*

I do recall reading that Amiga-sama was not liked at all by the Commodore-tans (maybe except for C128-san, who was at least nice enough to be even remotely welcoming of her) back then, and I wonder if that is the reason!

In part yes, although a big part centered around the fact that their "Father" had been dismissed from the company by what they considered to be a chain of "baffoons" up in high command.  And it just so happens that the newly adopted Amiga-chan was the unwitting darling-child of those baffoons.

Had they known the Commodore family would die out by the 90's, they would have at least tried to reconcile their differences early and help propel their stepsister to new heights.  But since they believed their own propaganda (what with so many victories in the market), it never occurred to them at the time that the Commodore Family would have no future -- hence, they wasted their time with needless animosity.

QuoteOf course I know that C64-tan especially hated Amiga-sama because of her musical abilities. Now how did they reconcile?!

Probably took about 15 years.  ^__^
Amiga-san wasn't around by the time Commodore crashed and burned, so the remaining Commodore sisters parted their own separate ways as Wanderers.  C64-tan probably didn't give her stepsister much thought until she came across the fledgling Binteji Renmei which Amiga-san helped put together (accompanied by a much friendlier, almost alien PET-chan, who by then had already joined and made amends for her previous misbehavior).

The fact that her stepsister was not only doing something wonderful for other people in their predicament, but also never wavered from her sweet, friendly and honest convictions, likely moved C64-tan to tears.  At this point, she would literally beg Amiga-san for forgiveness (and of course, Amiga-san wouldn't have a single idea of what she was talking about, which would only make C64-tan cry more).

During the ensuing weeks, they would have been together longer than during the entirety of their lives at Commodore HQ.

And after about two months, once C64-tan was sufficiently broken in as the resident Tech Geek, musician and gamer, their relationship would have been as indistinguishable as that of any real sisters, remaining so to this day.  ^^

QuoteWell... she's almost be a "what-if" for QDOS-chan, except for the fact that QL-tan is extremely scatterbrained.

Meaning QDOS-chan is only scatterbrained to a lesser degree of extreme?  ^.^;

QuoteWow! The finalized lighting and shading are beautiful!

Thank you!  ^__^
We'll see if I can squeeze anything in when more characters get squeezed in there.  ^>^

Well I think I've said this before, but I agree that being in this forum, working on the projects that we do, has offered me an EXPLOSION of knowledged about operating systems, computers in general, and their history thereof.  It's one of those instances where learning is fun.  ^-^

QuoteWow...that's not a bad idea...

Course, I might be afraid to do this only because the lighting might get tricky.  ^^;

MOS-chan's wings, MOS2-chan's bow and both their eyes are luminiscent, so it will disrupt the kind of long 9 o'clock shading you see on C128-san and VIC20-chan.  @@

That, and... well... still have to draw your BSDs first, you know. ^_^;

QuoteI always thought the Commodore-tans were pretty fun-loving; I didn't know that they had that strict a military order.

Like I said in another post, I think off-duty they would have plenty of fun in the rec room, on shore leave, in crew quarters, etc.  They would do everything from attending fine dignitary parties (like the one in Aurora's comic), to waste quarter after quarter in the local arcades (playing state-of-the-art masterpieces like Donkey Kong and PacMan).

They might have even attended an event sponsored by one of their rivals (think, AtariTOS-chan), only to play a small prank that more than often led to a small riot.  

Yeah, they were not devoid of fun if that's what you're wondering.  ^__~

Oh lawd....get me a pointy hat 'cause I'm officially a dunce >____<

About the bayonet, is it folded up or something? And is that a knife on her right leg?

Funny how you answered your quesiton with a question....  ^^;

Touche.  ^__^
She looks sweet cause she keeps them closed.  But that's one of the delicious ironies I wanted to add to her character.  ^___^

I wanted the trio (PET-chan, II-chan, AtariDOS-chan) to have something shockingly-mature that counterbalances their overly-cute and young appearance.  ][-chan has the most obvious traits, AtariDOS-chan the least obvious.

Just for instance, they refer to (and Wikipedia backs up the fact that) object segments in Multics being a precursor of DLL files. Does that make Windows related to Multics? No. Does the case that a feature inside Windows has its roots Multics? Yeah.

That's actually what I was thinking myself.  ^__^
Using that reasoning, I could make the case that Windows is related to coal, because coal is a precursor to the electricity that's eventually used to run Windows.  ^v^;

QuoteOh look, it's a bunch of app-kuns and an app-tan! My first serious drawings of anime-style boys

Wow!  Now that you mention it, you're right!  I only remember seeing the DEC commander, the UNIX-sama followers, and a few random men in your latest Linux-sama comics.  ^__^

Then again,... I dunno....

I still have the feeling that we're forgetting some long-lost -kuns you may have drawn before.....

or am I thinking of Aurora-hime's Mac-kuns?  '_'

On the right, that's either ed-kun or vi-kun. I hadn't decided which, but I figured both would share some relation. So...supposing he's ed-kun, he'd be quite difficult and shy and misunderstood, and he would be friends with Unix-sama (as ed was the first Unix text editor, written by Ken Thompson) as well as some of the older Unixen.

I'll go with Vi-kun, just to get his design out of the way.  ^___^
Seems like a cross between Negi-sensei from Mahou Sensei Negima and Conan from Detective Conan -- which according to the former series, essentially GUARANTEES a huge following of rabid fangirls.  ^^;

And he's UNIX-sama's height (or an inch shorter? I forget) -- this, the C-chan approves.  ^^

Red-kun... BWAHAHAHA!  ^v^
Unexpected but definitely welcomed.  The dude looks like an OSX-kun prototype, minus the cat head.  ^__^

I imagine he'd be a longtime "friend" of VMS-sama, stretching back to the days when she was a hot-blooded DEC officer herself.  ^.^

Fufu... married couple-like arguments -- as if VMS-sama didn't have enough on her hands evading the stalking of her two fangirls/daughter(s?).  ^.^

Approve enthusiastically on the height differential -- I am happy none of us seems to suffer from the dreaded "Hollywood Immutable Casting Syndrome" (or "HICS" for short).  ^__^

Emacs-kun is not only perfect (in form and backstory), but after watching Battlestar Galactica I would comfortably say he reminds me of the character Gaius Baltar.  That may not be a compliment depending on what you think of Dr. Baltar, but certainly his looks, his suave composure, and his intellectual fame makes the comparison more appropriate than none.  ^___^

Just to be on the safe side, make sure he abides by the adage that "Loose Lips Sink Ships".  ^___________^;

QuoteEhm...next in line is VLC-tan. Cause VLC is a nice little media player.

Oh,... now you dun it.... -v-

*C-chan EXPLODES... Olympic-style*

Bella

QuoteIn part yes, although a big part centered around the fact that their "Father" had been dismissed from the company by what they considered to be a chain of "baffoons" up in high command. And it just so happens that the newly adopted Amiga-chan was the unwitting darling-child of those baffoons.

Had they known the Commodore family would die out by the 90's, they would have at least tried to reconcile their differences early and help propel their stepsister to new heights. But since they believed their own propaganda (what with so many victories in the market), it never occurred to them at the time that the Commodore Family would have no future -- hence, they wasted their time with needless animosity.

You’ll have to excuse me because I haven’t researched Commodore history as much as I’d like to, so I don’t know what RL parallels this draws on. But you almost make it seem like Miggy-chan was to these corporate types what Lisa-chan to her Father…another ambitious system that never made it big…?

QuoteProbably took about 15 years. ^__^
Amiga-san wasn't around by the time Commodore crashed and burned, so the remaining Commodore sisters parted their own separate ways as Wanderers. C64-tan probably didn't give her stepsister much thought until she came across the fledgling Binteji Renmei which Amiga-san helped put together (accompanied by a much friendlier, almost alien PET-chan, who by then had already joined and made amends for her previous misbehavior).

The fact that her stepsister was not only doing something wonderful for other people in their predicament, but also never wavered from her sweet, friendly and honest convictions, likely moved C64-tan to tears. At this point, she would literally beg Amiga-san for forgiveness (and of course, Amiga-san wouldn't have a single idea of what she was talking about, which would only make C64-tan cry more).

During the ensuing weeks, they would have been together longer than during the entirety of their lives at Commodore HQ.

And after about two months, once C64-tan was sufficiently broken in as the resident Tech Geek, musician and gamer, their relationship would have been as indistinguishable as that of any real sisters, remaining so to this day. ^^

Awww, how sweet. :)

You know, a few days back I was on eBay…looking for some photography equipment…when I got a bit distracted and started looking at vintage computers. My gawd I didn’t know there were so many C64s still out there! Not to mention the ZX Spectrums, the Russian clones, the Amiga computers, and the PDP-11 I found for sale…in NH! For only $800! A steal, I say!

Curse the lack of space in my home! XD

QuoteWell I think I've said this before, but I agree that being in this forum, working on the projects that we do, has offered me an EXPLOSION of knowledged about operating systems, computers in general, and their history thereof. It's one of those instances where learning is fun. ^-^

I concur! I always loved reading about the history of computers, but I really didn’t know as much about the OSes themselves. So this has been a big learning experience for me.

QuoteCourse, I might be afraid to do this only because the lighting might get tricky. ^^;

MOS-chan's wings, MOS2-chan's bow and both their eyes are luminiscent, so it will disrupt the kind of long 9 o'clock shading you see on C128-san and VIC20-chan. @@

That, and... well... still have to draw your BSDs first, you know.

Couldn’t you just…lessen the luminescence or something…?

And you still want to draw the BSDs?

QuoteLike I said in another post, I think off-duty they would have plenty of fun in the rec room, on shore leave, in crew quarters, etc. They would do everything from attending fine dignitary parties (like the one in Aurora's comic), to waste quarter after quarter in the local arcades (playing state-of-the-art masterpieces like Donkey Kong and PacMan).

They might have even attended an event sponsored by one of their rivals (think, AtariTOS-chan), only to play a small prank that more than often led to a small riot.

Ummm…was it a concert….?

QuoteThat's actually what I was thinking myself. ^__^
Using that reasoning, I could make the case that Windows is related to coal, because coal is a precursor to the electricity that's eventually used to run Windows. ^v^;

Yeah but by that reasoning, we could tie the just about anyone or anything to anything else…

QuoteWow! Now that you mention it, you're right! I only remember seeing the DEC commander, the UNIX-sama followers, and a few random men in your latest Linux-sama comics. ^__^

Then again,... I dunno....

I still have the feeling that we're forgetting some long-lost -kuns you may have drawn before.....

or am I thinking of Aurora-hime's Mac-kuns? '_'

I think you’re thinking of Aurora’s drawings…I remember those Mac-kuns.

QuoteI'll go with Vi-kun, just to get his design out of the way. ^___^
Seems like a cross between Negi-sensei from Mahou Sensei Negima and Conan from Detective Conan -- which according to the former series, essentially GUARANTEES a huge following of rabid fangirls. ^^;

And he's UNIX-sama's height (or an inch shorter? I forget) -- this, the C-chan approves. ^^

Yeah, he’s just a little shorter than Unix-sama :P

QuoteRed-kun... BWAHAHAHA! ^v^
Unexpected but definitely welcomed. The dude looks like an OSX-kun prototype, minus the cat head. ^__^

I imagine he'd be a longtime "friend" of VMS-sama, stretching back to the days when she was a hot-blooded DEC officer herself. ^.^

Fufu... married couple-like arguments -- as if VMS-sama didn't have enough on her hands evading the stalking of her two fangirls/daughter(s?). ^.^

Approve enthusiastically on the height differential -- I am happy none of us seems to suffer from the dreaded "Hollywood Immutable Casting Syndrome" (or "HICS" for short). ^__^

Emacs-kun is not only perfect (in form and backstory), but after watching Battlestar Galactica I would comfortably say he reminds me of the character Gaius Baltar. That may not be a compliment depending on what you think of Dr. Baltar, but certainly his looks, his suave composure, and his intellectual fame makes the comparison more appropriate than none. ^___^

Just to be on the safe side, make sure he abides by the adage that "Loose Lips Sink Ships". ^___________^;

Does Dr. Baltar enjoy long walks on the beach, poetry slams and acoustic guitar? ‘Cause I’m sure Emacs-kun would >:P

QuoteOh,... now you dun it.... -v-

*C-chan EXPLODES... Olympic-style*

What? You asploding for a sketch I doodled up in a few minutes? XD

Aurora Borealis

Or,... I could just assume that she went for the "retro" look that day for the sake of the picture.  After all, she wears the same hat and has the same eyes and has only grown a little bit more,... all she would need to do is don her old cadet uniform and tie her hair in pigtails.  ^__^

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mature the face a bit... after all, she should start acting a little more like a mother than a bright-eyed pup.  ^^
That's good too! Not only would it be cool to see that the present day (or near future) Amiga-tan still has her old uniform, it's much easier than replacing her whole outfit!

Oh wait,... you want ME to do that?!  No way, suppose the hole starts squirting brain fluid at me?!!  @__@

And besides, you might want to consider... you know... bending down a bit first........ ¬¬'

*oinks a bit, as if to give Aurora a clue*
But I'm afriad that I'll fall ovre if I bend down bewcause TOS-tan sncuk behidn me ad n thrwe her shue inot teh back of me heda adn bran wereh coorndatin taek pa-- eqrwjkzvnm weaioh vnas;kjfk;w!

*yanks shoe out of head* Ha ha!

In part yes, although a big part centered around the fact that their "Father" had been dismissed from the company by what they considered to be a chain of "baffoons" up in high command.  And it just so happens that the newly adopted Amiga-chan was the unwitting darling-child of those baffoons.

You’ll have to excuse me because I haven’t researched Commodore history as much as I’d like to, so I don’t know what RL parallels this draws on. But you almost make it seem like Miggy-chan was to these corporate types what Lisa-chan to her Father…another ambitious system that never made it big…?
I do remember that Tramiel left Commodore in 1984, with other people taking control. Were these new people in control involved with the Amiga?

I also imagine that back then the Commodore-tans would have hated Atari TOS-tan because after Tramiel left, he formed his own company (Tramel Technology) that bought out part of Atari Inc. to form Atari Corporation which developed the Atari ST which was released shortly before the Amiga.

Which is akin to that the Mac-tans used to hate NeXTSTEP-tan because of Jobs leaving Apple (he was fired) and forming NeXT. Yet it is a different story because the NeXT machines did not actually compete with the Macs very much but rather the high-end workstations (there were a few Macintosh workstations released in the 90's) while the Atari ST directly competed with the Commodore machines and they were each other's main competitors.

Had they known the Commodore family would die out by the 90's, they would have at least tried to reconcile their differences early and help propel their stepsister to new heights.  But since they believed their own propaganda (what with so many victories in the market), it never occurred to them at the time that the Commodore Family would have no future -- hence, they wasted their time with needless animosity.
Them Commodore-tans... They sure were formidable but so short-sighted, unprepared for the worst and didn't shape up in time :(

Probably took about 15 years.  ^__^
Amiga-san wasn't around by the time Commodore crashed and burned...
I know that the rights and trademarks to the Amiga have been bought out by other companies, but did it first happen shortly before Commodore's demise?

...so the remaining Commodore sisters parted their own separate ways as Wanderers.  C64-tan probably didn't give her stepsister much thought until she came across the fledgling Binteji Renmei which Amiga-san helped put together (accompanied by a much friendlier, almost alien PET-chan, who by then had already joined and made amends for her previous misbehavior).
Wow!
PET-chan much friendlier than she used to be?! (she used to be mean?! And misbehave a lot?!) Now I wonder how she reconciled with Amiga-sama!

The fact that her stepsister was not only doing something wonderful for other people in their predicament, but also never wavered from her sweet, friendly and honest convictions, likely moved C64-tan to tears.  At this point, she would literally beg Amiga-san for forgiveness (and of course, Amiga-san wouldn't have a single idea of what she was talking about, which would only make C64-tan cry more).

So much sap! And that Amiga-sama didn't know what C64-tan was talking about when begging for forgiveness shows that Amiga-sama did not think ill of her stepsisters at all!

And after about two months, once C64-tan was sufficiently broken in as the resident Tech Geek, musician and gamer, their relationship would have been as indistinguishable as that of any real sisters, remaining so to this day.  ^^
Awesome!

Meaning QDOS-chan is only scatterbrained to a lesser degree of extreme?  ^.^;
Uhh... I don't know! X__x

Well I think I've said this before, but I agree that being in this forum, working on the projects that we do, has offered me an EXPLOSION of knowledged about operating systems, computers in general, and their history thereof.  It's one of those instances where learning is fun.  ^-^
I've even impressed people IRL about my recently-acquired knowledge of other OSes, most of which I learned about on OSC!

Course, I might be afraid to do this only because the lighting might get tricky.  ^^;

MOS-chan's wings, MOS2-chan's bow and both their eyes are luminiscent, so it will disrupt the kind of long 9 o'clock shading you see on C128-san and VIC20-chan.  @@
That is tough!

That, and... well... still have to draw your BSDs first, you know. ^_^;
I didn't forget about them either!

That just gave me inspiration for a ZS mini-arc! A staring contest tournament! :D

And yes the finalists would be Unix-sama and PET-chan!

Touche.  ^__^
She looks sweet cause she keeps them closed.  But that's one of the delicious ironies I wanted to add to her character.  ^___^
I want to see PET-chan with scary eyes!

I wanted the trio (PET-chan, II-chan, AtariDOS-chan) to have something shockingly-mature that counterbalances their overly-cute and young appearance.  ][-chan has the most obvious traits, AtariDOS-chan the least obvious.
Well... PET-chan's got the scary eyes. Apple ][-chan is very mature and wise beyond her years and uhh... not sure about Atari DOS-chan though (she was the breadwinner of her family?) But then again, her surprisingly mature trait is the least obvious!

You know, a few days back I was on eBay…looking for some photography equipment…when I got a bit distracted and started looking at vintage computers. My gawd I didn’t know there were so many C64s still out there! Not to mention the ZX Spectrums, the Russian clones, the Amiga computers, and the PDP-11 I found for sale…in NH! For only $800! A steal, I say!

Curse the lack of space in my home! XD
Found a bunch of C64's? DO WANT! And you are so lucky being able to find a PDP-11 for sale online for such a price!

NejinOniwa

Sooo...guys.
Who's gonna make Chrome-tan?

Take it while she's up for grabs. Won't be long!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS