Siya's Concept Hut

Started by Siya, July 17, 2007, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteAh, gomen, C-chan! I was getting lazy!
Well, for starters, OliveBSD is a Live CD based off of OpenBSD 3.8 (Open Live BSD). The only visual link I have to the OpenBSD-tan (by SpaceCoyote) is the blonde hair. This means she should be pretty secure. I find mixed reviews on her, so I can't really remark on how well she functions.

Ah good, you too are in agreement that SpaceCoyote's OpenBSD-tan is a fairly decent candidate for pseudo canondom.  ^__^
I'd like to draw her sometime,... with a few "minor" adjustments....  ^^'

In any event, OliveBSD-san is quite the dish.... ^v^
(no pun intended)
Though funny how the LiveCD's name is also a play on words (FreeBSD's LiveCD version is called "Freesbie" as in "frisbie".  ^.^)

QuoteI had thought of this, also. In all of my original sketches, I had put the olive branches in the same place, not thinking about horns. When the idea of adding horns finally occurred to me, I noticed that the olive branches functioned as a more subtle allusion. I was pleased with it. Perhaps, if it is decided that a less subtle allusion is necessary, an appropriate tail could be added. However, I don't think it's necessary. Her belt incorporates the font used in her official logo. Speaking of the logo, I was originally going to use the shade of green used in it. But it was so eye-bleedingly bright, that I knocked it down a couple shades. There are flecks of the original green still in her eyes.
The circle pieces on her boots (near the ankles) are in reference to OliveBSD's being a liveCD.

It is true that the OliveBSD distribution doesn't seem to incorporate many "devil" themes as it stands, so yeah I agree that the exclusion of the tail is okay here.  ^__^

Bella

Cute! Her dress style is very modern and clean, and she is very elegant overall.

Again, an OS I never would have heard of if you didn't make a -tan ;)

(Why does she seem a bit Greek to me though? Must be the olive branches!)

Siya

Quote from: "C-Chan"Ah good, you too are in agreement that SpaceCoyote's OpenBSD-tan is a fairly decent candidate for pseudo canondom. ^__^
Indeed!  I really like SpaceCoyote's design. ^.^  

Quote from: "C-Chan"Though funny how the LiveCD's name is also a play on words (FreeBSD's LiveCD version is called "Freesbie" as in "frisbie". ^.^)
Speaking of FreeSBIE, I've got a sketch of her around...somewhere.  If I find it, I'll scan it and put it up.  

Quote from: "Bella"Why does she seem a bit Greek to me though? Must be the olive branches!
Since much of my family is from Greece, olives remind me of my family (and stories of my aunt growing up, picking olives until her hands were bloody).  Admittedly, OliveBSD-tan looks nothing like anyone in my family.  However, she's actually French and the French have borrowed heavily from Greek culture throughout history...or maybe I'm just thinking of Nana Mouskouri.  

In the mean-time, though, I have some other sketches to put up.

RedOffice-tan:

A Chinese distribution of Open Office.  Her hairstyle is reminiscent of the butterfly in her logo.

Croquet-tan:

A 3-D environment OS, Croquet attempts to be a Wonderland-like experience.  Croquet-tan's design borrows heavily from Lewis Carroll's Alice and White Rabbit.  

BeleniX-tan:

Designed in India, BeleniX is an OpenSolaris-based system named after the Celtic god of light Belenus.  She is also, primarily, a Live CD.  Claims are that BeleniX is more friendly than OpenSolaris.

Adamantix-tan:

Formerly TrustedDebian, Adamantix-tan is a security-focused system.  Her design is primarily metallic (adamantium) and faceted (referring to the adamantine diamond in her logo).  I tried to give her an android soldier look.  Also, the X-Man, Wolverine, has adamantium claws....which I am considering giving to Adamantix-tan.

windowsgirl

Neptune: the OS that never was

CaptBrenden

I see an alice and a rider :P
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

Oh wow! Red Office-tan is a cutie, I bet she'd be friends with Red Flag Linux-tan!

Croquet-tan sounds kinda like a character plan I had (that went nowhere) for some cross platform Java-based DE....I believe if was called Looking Glass or something...? I wonder if the two are related (must be)...

BeleniX-tan is really awesome too, and a Unix-tan to boot! :D

But....

Adamantix-tan is awesomeness in it's purest form! I mean, your combination of elegance and fashion with futurism is unparalleled! She's kinda reminds me of Neptune-tan, but much more incredible!

I have tried to do outfits on characters (like Leopard-san and Neptune-tan) that were both futuristic and beautiful, but I could never achieve both. You have!  ;019 Excellent work!

C-Chan

QuoteSpeaking of FreeSBIE, I've got a sketch of her around...somewhere. If I find it, I'll scan it and put it up.

Aha!  They say the proof is in the pudding, and well,... with all these sketches, there's no doubt you have many years of experience on you doing great comic artwork.  ^^

QuoteSince much of my family is from Greece, olives remind me of my family (and stories of my aunt growing up, picking olives until her hands were bloody). Admittedly, OliveBSD-tan looks nothing like anyone in my family. However, she's actually French and the French have borrowed heavily from Greek culture throughout history...or maybe I'm just thinking of Nana Mouskouri.

Nah,... a lot of Western countries during the Industrial period borrowed heavily from the ancient Greek culture.  Just look at the number of federalized buildings boasting giant Hellenic columns and Classical-style statues.  ^^

They probably even tried to emulate elements of it in Medieval times, although only because Greece was technicaly Byzantium at that time, the most powerful and advanced European country in its era, as well as the gateway to the Mideast and Asia, for many years.

QuoteRedOffice-tan:

A Chinese distribution of Open Office. Her hairstyle is reminiscent of the butterfly in her logo.

Beaurocratically S-E-X-Y!!  ^___^ b
She reminds me a little of Musix-tan with a different flavor of sophistication.

QuoteCroquet-tan:

A 3-D environment OS, Croquet attempts to be a Wonderland-like experience. Croquet-tan's design borrows heavily from Lewis Carroll's Alice and White Rabbit.

CUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^
I forgot who she reminds me of, but I've loving it.  It's like you took one of the better-looking Alices and the white rabbit, added a bucket of Moe, and put them all in a blender to produce this cutie.  ^.^

When she stops over, I'll be sure to put out the "Eat Me" cookies and hide the "Drink Me" milk.  ^___^

*C-chan laughs out loud lecherously*  *v*

*stops*

Um,.... wait,... aw crap,... it IS the cookies that make her grow, right?  Or is it the milk?  I get confused....  -.-'

In any event, who says OS-tans don't make great advertisement?  I had not even heard of Croquet before you came, and while the demo does look creepy (I imagine its in preconcept or alpha stages), I can see that it's trying to build a system not unlike the virtual interfaces features in the Ghost in the Shell series.

QuoteBeleniX-tan:
Designed in India, BeleniX is an OpenSolaris-based system named after the Celtic god of light Belenus. She is also, primarily, a Live CD. Claims are that BeleniX is more friendly than OpenSolaris.

Doggarnit,... I knew I forgot something.  I downloaded Belenix a LOOOOOOOONG time ago, but forgot to try her out (or rather I tried and failed to run her off a virtual machine, so promised myself I would burn her on a CD and try it on a real computer.

In any event, BeleniX-tan is appropriately cool, given she's a fork(?) of Solaris-sama. ^__^
Has a flamey, Washu-like look to her.  ^.^

QuoteAdamantix-tan:

Formerly TrustedDebian, Adamantix-tan is a security-focused system. Her design is primarily metallic (adamantium) and faceted (referring to the adamantine diamond in her logo). I tried to give her an android soldier look. Also, the X-Man, Wolverine, has adamantium claws....which I am considering giving to Adamantix-tan.

HOTPIGGITY!!!  I've struck gold!!!  ^V^

The Linuces now have an answer to Neptune-san, and her name is Adamantix-sama!  ^0^
Ph34r the p0w3r of a Debian-tan boasting armor of such unprecedented kick-assedness!!!  ^-^

And should she have claws?  Without - a - doubt!  Claws are an indisputable prerequisite -- it'd be a crime to omit them!  ^0^

Only one problem,... is she even being developed still....?  O___o

Well no matter,... Neptune-san got discontinued ages ago as well, and isn't even a fully-functional OS -- either way you look at it, there's no contest.  ^.^

*bows before Adamantix-sama*

QuoteCroquet-tan sounds kinda like a character plan I had (that went nowhere) for some cross platform Java-based DE... I believe if was called Looking Glass or something...? I wonder if the two are related (must be)...

Well,... Project Looking Glass is a completely different 3D desktop environment with development assisted by Sun, so I doubt it.  Course, if these two get App-tans, then surely we'll have to consider one day making a Beryl-tan and Compiz Fusion-tan.  ^^;
(Not sure if a Gnome or KDE one exists, but there is an XFCE-tan in the galleries)

QuoteI have tried to do outfits on characters (like Leopard-san and Neptune-tan) that were both futuristic and beautiful, but I could never achieve both. You have!  Excellent work!

Well that's really a matter of opinion, but if you think you haven't yet, don't worry,... you will, Bella-san.  Maybe a lot sooner than expected.  ^___^

But I do concur,... this is all jaw-dropping work, Siya-san!  It's no exaggeration of mine when I say we're lucky to have you onboard!  ^v^

If anything, I'm worried we're not giving your work the attention it deserves, if only because our posting traffic is not as frequent as it should be.  ;___;

Bella

QuoteIn any event, who says OS-tans don't make great advertisement? I had not even heard of Croquet before you came, and while the demo does look creepy (I imagine its in preconcept or alpha stages), I can see that it's trying to build a system not unlike the virtual interfaces features in the Ghost in the Shell series.

I just found their site...Geez O___O

I'll take your "creepy" and raise it an "ubercreepy"...

Honestly, I'd find a DOS prompt a huckuva lot less intimidating...

Siya

Quote from: "Bella"I have tried to do outfits on characters (like Leopard-san and Neptune-tan) that were both futuristic and beautiful, but I could never achieve both. You have!  Excellent work!
I would like to accredit much of this to the costume design course I took.  We had to take fashion designs from the 1780s (that were, I might add, even ridiculous for their own time) and make appropriate versions of them for other uses and time periods.  Also, an old Shakespearian habit was to use contemporary clothing and add elements of the exotic cultures.  For example, an African queen would be wearing the typical Elizabethan royal dresses, but with zebra skins or somesuch.  

For practice, you could try taking a picture of a specific outfit.  We used ones from the 1780s, but anything could do, really.  Then, you need to find a completely different time period/culture/use.  Study the fashion you're moving to well.  Then adapt.  

Examples:  
  • Take one of Trinity's leather/pleather/PVC costumes from The Matrix and change it for an old-fashioned ballet.
  • Take a geisha's kimonos and transform them into armor for St. Joan of Arc (Jean d'Arc)
  • Take a modern policeman's uniform and make it something appropriate for a British Victorian society lady (where trains on your dresses were mandatory!)
Or, you could visit sites like artificeclothing (which has things like a PVC kimono) and the gallery for this article

Even the designers Vogue's site showcases will sometimes give you something like this.

Quote from: "C-Chan"Nah,... a lot of Western countries during the Industrial period borrowed heavily from the ancient Greek culture. Just look at the number of federalized buildings boasting giant Hellenic columns and Classical-style statues. ^^

They probably even tried to emulate elements of it in Medieval times, although only because Greece was technicaly Byzantium at that time, the most powerful and advanced European country in its era, as well as the gateway to the Mideast and Asia, for many years.
Quite true.

Quote from: "C-Chan"Only one problem,... is she even being developed still....? O___o
Yeah...but I've been considering a few dead and dormant systems, too.  I considered Thoth and Phaeronix (among others) for the Halloween picture, but Ghostzilla won.

As for Croquet's creepiness....maybe this will be an element of her personality!

C-Chan

QuoteI just found their site...Geez O___O

I'll take your "creepy" and raise it an "ubercreepy"...

Honestly, I'd find a DOS prompt a huckuva lot less intimidating...

Well in that case, I'll raise you to a "monolithic-ubercreepy".  ^^

QuoteExamples:

* Take one of Trinity's leather/pleather/PVC costumes from The Matrix and change it for an old-fashioned ballet.
   * Take a geisha's kimonos and transform them into armor for St. Joan of Arc (Jean d'Arc)
   * Take a modern policeman's uniform and make it something appropriate for a British Victorian society lady (where trains on your dresses were mandatory!)

Fufu... indeed, this sounds like an extraordinary, albeit oft overlooked way to create interesting new costumes and fashion designs.  ^^
Now that you mention it, this is something I'd love to try one day when creating more exotic characters, as there's a wealth of ancient Meso-American wear and motifs that would look great modernized.  ^__^

QuoteYeah...but I've been considering a few dead and dormant systems, too. I considered Thoth and Phaeronix (among others) for the Halloween picture, but Ghostzilla won.

Have you considered MUCh older systems perhaps?  I believe GMOS and SAGE are still undrawn, and I've yet to figure out how we can make them look,... ancient.  ^____^

QuoteAs for Croquet's creepiness....maybe this will be an element of her personality!

I've always said characters need balance to truly make them interesting.  For someone as GAWDawfully cute as Croquet-chan, it only makes sense that great, knock-out looks come at the price of sanity.  Certainly wouldn't want my girl sliding around motionlessly, shooting Godzille beams out of her eyes at illegible spreadsheets.....  @x@;

Aurora Borealis

Waaaah! I feel ashamed for not being able to keep up with the fantasticness that comes from this thread! ;__;

But I remember where/when I last commented and will start trying to catch up!

Sabayon-tan: She's so elegant and I also really like the subtle references to pastries, cherries and 'saba'! And as for her personality, I assume she should be sweet? :D

Ghostzilla-tan: She is most certainly a unique browser-tan with her super sneaky abilities! And I too think she'd be good friends with TinfoilHat-tan and they would make a good team of super spies!

Momonga-tan: Momonga-tan wa kawaii desu! (felt appropriate to say!) And she's got two different eye colors, and in a unique combo I've never seen before (Red+blue, red+green, blue+red and green+red are very common but I've never seen purple+brown!) and I think the fluffy socks and buck teeth increase her cuteness factor!

Songbird-tan: The way you did her outfit, hair and her pose are very beautiful and majestic!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bella

QuoteI would like to accredit much of this to the costume design course I took. We had to take fashion designs from the 1780s (that were, I might add, even ridiculous for their own time) and make appropriate versions of them for other uses and time periods. Also, an old Shakespearian habit was to use contemporary clothing and add elements of the exotic cultures. For example, an African queen would be wearing the typical Elizabethan royal dresses, but with zebra skins or somesuch.

For practice, you could try taking a picture of a specific outfit. We used ones from the 1780s, but anything could do, really. Then, you need to find a completely different time period/culture/use. Study the fashion you're moving to well. Then adapt.

Examples:

* Take one of Trinity's leather/pleather/PVC costumes from The Matrix and change it for an old-fashioned ballet.
   * Take a geisha's kimonos and transform them into armor for St. Joan of Arc (Jean d'Arc)
   * Take a modern policeman's uniform and make it something appropriate for a British Victorian society lady (where trains on your dresses were mandatory!)

Those are really great ideas  ;010 I'll have to try some of them.

I'm actually doing something like that on a pic I'm working on, trying to combine kind of a Marie Antoinette (< the movie with all the crazy outfits ;) ) style with, like, a modern Gothic look, or something...XD

QuoteOr, you could visit sites like artificeclothing (which has things like a PVC kimono) and the gallery for this article

Even the designers Vogue's site showcases will sometimes give you something like this.

O___O

Wow. I mean....wow... ;019

Some of those outfits are crazy! In a very neat was though ;)

Siya

Quote from: "C-Chan"Have you considered MUCh older systems perhaps? I believe GMOS and SAGE are still undrawn, and I've yet to figure out how we can make them look,... ancient. ^____^
I'd be quite interested.  Any elements you wished to include in their designs?

Quote from: "C-Chan"I've always said characters need balance to truly make them interesting. For someone as GAWDawfully cute as Croquet-chan, it only makes sense that great, knock-out looks come at the price of sanity. Certainly wouldn't want my girl sliding around motionlessly, shooting Godzille beams out of her eyes at illegible spreadsheets..... @x@;
Godzilla eyebeams are perfect for Croquet-tan!  For some reason, though, "monolithic-ubercreepy", makes me think of the Aghori, a Hindu sect that (for the few Hindu who know of them) are so creepy that others are too afraid to do anything other than let the Aghori do whatever they want (like eat their (the non-Aghori's) dead relatives at a funeral).  I don't think Croquet-tan would eat people, but I think the others could be afraid that she might...and try to avoid her.

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Songbird-tan: The way you did her outfit, hair and her pose are very beautiful and majestic!
Speaking of Songbird, I recently found a Songbird-tan on Nijiura (on Photobucket for display):  Picture of Firebird and Songbird

Quote from: "Bella"I'm actually doing something like that on a pic I'm working on, trying to combine kind of a Marie Antoinette (< the movie with all the crazy outfits  ) style with, like, a modern Gothic look, or something...XD
Awesome!  I hope you finish it!  It sounds like a very interesting design.  We got to look at a bunch of Marie Antoinette shepherdess-styled dresses in my class.  Her style was ridiculously frivolous, but light and colourful.  It would be interesting to see her dresses turned dark, possibly with modern-gothic accents (skulls, spiders or the like).

C-Chan

QuoteI'd be quite interested. Any elements you wished to include in their designs?

Glad you asked.  ^__^
I'd like to take what you mentioned about modernizing ancient or primitive fashion designs, but work it in reverse.  ^.^

SAGE-tan strikes me as one of those stereotypical hot-blooded, smart-mouthed, nuclear trigger-happy yet overly-idealistic American generals from the 1950's, with just a touch of "eggheadness" (like the NASA engineers from 'Apollo 13').

GMOS-tan, though, was a union-sympathetic industrialist (sounds like an oxymoron... ^^') with a slight Henry Ford complex, that has a passion for efficiency and style, but also for keeping her employees happy and her customers coming.  

Depending on how they would dress in similar real-life professions (SAGE-tan = gawdy military uniform; GMOS-tan = blue-collar wear to motivate her workers), the challenge is to take such inherently modern clothing and make it look "ancient".  ^___^

BTW, Neither was particular intelligent compared to their modern counterparts, so to perform even basic math and letters they were dependent on an army of human engineers and typists.  

Both are technically long-since deceased (and better for them -- they probably wouldn't survive in today's high-paced OS-tan world), but are considered "legendary" OS-tans in their literature so their pictures could have a 19th century beige and white look to them, or an 18th century oil-paint portraiture feel to them.
(or if you REALLY want to go wild, Byzantine or Roman art style, or maybe ancient Chinese/Japanese?) ^^;

QuoteGodzilla eyebeams are perfect for Croquet-tan! For some reason, though, "monolithic-ubercreepy", makes me think of the Aghori, a Hindu sect that (for the few Hindu who know of them) are so creepy that others are too afraid to do anything other than let the Aghori do whatever they want (like eat their (the non-Aghori's) dead relatives at a funeral). I don't think Croquet-tan would eat people, but I think the others could be afraid that she might...and try to avoid her.

Fufufu... The Godzilla eyebeams were really just a joke (poking fun at that creepy rabbit), but okay,.... If you think it'll work, more power to her!  ^v^'

Kinda weird thinking a bunny can eat me,... but since she's cute enough,... *sigh*  I suppose sacrifices must be made.  ^__^

*offers self on plate and wags tail*

QuoteSpeaking of Songbird, I recently found a Songbird-tan on Nijiura (on Photobucket for display): Picture of Firebird and Songbird

Can't see them from my current location, but I'll give them a look later.  '__'

Bella

QuoteSpeaking of Songbird, I recently found a Songbird-tan on Nijiura (on Photobucket for display):

Between you and me and whoever else is reading this, I like your design a lot more ;)

That doesn't mean you can't incorporate elements of it's design into your own picture, though...

QuoteGodzilla eyebeams are perfect for Croquet-tan! For some reason, though, "monolithic-ubercreepy", makes me think of the Aghori, a Hindu sect that (for the few Hindu who know of them) are so creepy that others are too afraid to do anything other than let the Aghori do whatever they want (like eat their (the non-Aghori's) dead relatives at a funeral). I don't think Croquet-tan would eat people, but I think the others could be afraid that she might...and try to avoid her.

O__o

She and XP-san and BSD-chan could get into an eating contest :P

But yeah, cute as she is I'd be quite scared of her!

(which is how I feel about the OS itself, so I think it works good!)

QuoteAwesome! I hope you finish it! It sounds like a very interesting design. We got to look at a bunch of Marie Antoinette shepherdess-styled dresses in my class. Her style was ridiculously frivolous, but light and colourful. It would be interesting to see her dresses turned dark, possibly with modern-gothic accents (skulls, spiders or the like).

It's gonna be gothic, but that doesn't mean I'll abandon all color or anything...it's still going to have a very playful, frilly look to it ^_^

So I guess it's a little more gothic lolita or something...?

QuoteGlad you asked. ^__^
I'd like to take what you mentioned about modernizing ancient or primitive fashion designs, but work it in reverse. ^.^

SAGE-tan strikes me as one of those stereotypical hot-blooded, smart-mouthed, nuclear trigger-happy yet overly-idealistic American generals from the 1950's, with just a touch of "eggheadness" (like the NASA engineers from 'Apollo 13').

GMOS-tan, though, was a union-sympathetic industrialist (sounds like an oxymoron... ^^') with a slight Henry Ford complex, that has a passion for efficiency and style, but also for keeping her employees happy and her customers coming.

Depending on how they would dress in similar real-life professions (SAGE-tan = gawdy military uniform; GMOS-tan = blue-collar wear to motivate her workers), the challenge is to take such inherently modern clothing and make it look "ancient". ^___^

Those are excellent ideas! I hope Siya has fun with his first historic OS-tans! There's a lot of untapped potential there, and I'm sure you'll do great with them!

You know I once tried to think up a design for a GMOS-tan? But I didn't have the first darn idea what she'd be like : | I figured she'd be quite enamored with automobiles, but that was as far as I got :P

QuoteBoth are technically long-since deceased (and better for them -- they probably wouldn't survive in today's high-paced OS-tan world), but are considered "legendary" OS-tans in their literature so their pictures could have a 19th century beige and white look to them, or an 18th century oil-paint portraiture feel to them.
(or if you REALLY want to go wild, Byzantine or Roman art style, or maybe ancient Chinese/Japanese?) ^^;

Awww, they've gone to the "big mainframe is the sky", huh?

*I just had to say that XD*

But that's an interesting idea for the design of the picture itself...giving it an old-fashioned style. Back when I was mostly using PS, I sorta thought about doing something similar to that (and using a painting-like filter, too), but I never got around to it...