Os-Tan articles on newspapers and other sites

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, May 25, 2007, 08:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

http://www.mangapop.com/article/article.php?id=5

This is a french site of manga culture.

It talks about us OS-Tan fans, and OS-Tans phenomenon

(unfortunately it does not cite directly OS-Tan Collections, but reports wikipedia article in which OS-Tan Collection site it is linked)

It quotes also Mecha Musune and Mika Akitaka!

(Whom just I cited existence of this artist in the thread regarding Mecha Musune, here:

http://www.ostan-collections.net/fpost-28351.html

Enjoy reading the article on MangaPop if you can read french lanaguage, and the mecha musune thread if you hadn't spotted it before!)

Good images links!  ;010

And please, if you spot on the web other sites citating OS-Tans in articles as major topic (remember: the topic of a site or any newspaper ARTICLE), you are welcome to use this thread to signal it to us!
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Bella

I read some of that article, kinda. I don't know French, but I think I get the drift, lol.

Raffaele the Amigan

OS-TAN phenomenon it is quickly emerging from sub-culture and becaming an important manga-anime-computer movement!

It will increase its importance and becoming noticed worldwide!

I hope that big computer majors firms will accept it as a form of free-advertising raising from the users, and leave us free to draw OS-TANS!

Well to speak honestly I hope they will accept OS-TANs WITHOUT ASKING ANY DUTY FEE to use the name of their OS...

I fear the moment that Microsoft, Apple, Sony could ask COPYRIGHTS on OS-TANS or even the fact that they could send us a "CEASE AND DESIST" letter from their lawyers...

...or maybe the worst scenario could be that OS-producers could PREDATE OS-TANS and make the drawings their exclusive property...  ;015

(Yes they coulkd do that if they say we use the name of their best-selling copyrighted hardware and software products!)

BRRRR! What a tremendous horror scenario!  ;026  o_o

I hope the big hardware ands software firms will be so intelligent and wise to let this movement of fanfiction and fanart to grew up free...

At least it is all free advertising, free publicity for their products and it increase FREE the interest of worldwide public about their OS products.

We make their products look enhanced with simpathy and enjoyment!

This is more that they could hope for!

We are like the supporters clubs of best soccer teams worldwide like Anderlecht, Aston Villa, Bayern Leverkusen, Benfica, Celtic, Juventus, Manchester United, Milan, Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain FC, Real Madrid, Santos, etc., etc., etc...

No soccer team worldwide had ever destroyed any of their supporters free associations asking them to pay copyrights!

I hope Apple. Microsoft, Sony etc. will be wise as soccer club teams leaving their supporters free to organize themselves!
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Bella

Well, I wouldn't put anything past those corporations :( But this is largely fan-made art, and art is free, and I think as long as nobody makes any money off of OS-tans, it'll be very hard to stop.

Plus, if they were going to attack copyright infringers, why not first go to DeviantArt and shut down all the images that contain copyrighted logos. Which, BTW, I wouldn't put past them....

Raffaele the Amigan

Yes. you are right.

And perhaps I just expanded my previous comment by adding these considerations:

At least it is all free advertising, free publicity for their products and it increase FREE the interest of worldwide public about their OS products.

We are like the supporters clubs of best soccer teams worldwide like Anderlecht, Aston Villa, Bayern Leverkusen, Benfica, Celtic, Juventus, Manchester United, Milan, Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain FC, Real Madrid, Santos, etc., etc., etc...

No soccer team worldwide had ever destroyed any of their supporters free associations asking them to pay copyrights!

I hope Apple. Microsoft, Sony etc. will be wise as soccer club teams leaving their supporters free to organize themselves!
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

I'm feeling deja vu again,... but that we've discussed this topic endlessly before does speak volumes of the cut-throat companies that operate around us.

*stares at Microsoft's patent fumbling and Amiga Inc's stupidity*

In that sense I envy the Japanese artists who for the most part benefit from companies slightly more open to free advertisement.  -v-

But to reiterate a point I made before,... wouldn't this give more incentive to pursue more,... "open source" OS-tans?  ^___^

*gives nod of approval to Bella*

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Raffaele the Amigan"
Hey, you named my favorite team here! Bayer Leverkusen! :) I didn't know it had the same international reputation :)

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Alfamille

Quote from: "Raffaele the Amigan"OS-TAN phenomenon it is quickly emerging from sub-culture and becaming an important manga-anime-computer movement!

I hope that big computer majors firms will accept it as a form of free-advertising raising from the users, and leave us free to draw OS-TANS!

Well to speak honestly I hope they will accept OS-TANs WITHOUT ASKING ANY DUTY FEE to use the name of their OS...

I fear the moment that Microsoft, Apple, Sony could ask COPYRIGHTS on OS-TANS or even the fact that they could send us a "CEASE AND DESIST" letter from their lawyers...

...or maybe the worst scenario could be that OS-producers could PREDATE OS-TANS and make the drawings their exclusive property...  ;015

(Yes they coulkd do that if they say we use the name of their best-selling copyrighted hardware and software products!)

I hope the big hardware ands software firms will be so intelligent and wise to let this movement of fanfiction and fanart to grew up free...

I don't really think either one of this companies would do that. The only worst thing I think would happen if some hardware or software stores make some logos of the -tans and stick it to their product.

Fanarts like this are not meant or to be used for commercial use. Take a look at DeviantArt whereas there are self made fan created "album covers" from some rock bands...but those rock bands don't give a notice to it whatsoever.

(PLS BTW. There's a Tiger-tan dashboard widget for OSX Tiger. Apple obviously never became psyched or intrigued with that ;) )

C-Chan

Quote(PLS BTW. There's a Tiger-tan dashboard widget for OSX Tiger. Apple obviously never became psyched or intrigued with that  )

Ah yes, I think Tsubashi-san showed us similar ones.  ^.^

Tsubashi

You mean this one?

Nifty little thing. Though I do feel compelled to point out that simply being a widget does not mean apple is aware of it. I'm sure that at least some of apple's employees have seen/use it, but it's not big enough/ widely distributed enough to really do anything. At a decision making level, it simply doesn't have enough weight nor relevance to make them care.
-Tsu

C-Chan

*sigh* Well,... their "not caring" does offer us protection in itself.  -.-'

windowsgirl

Neptune: the OS that never was

Darknight_88

Quote from: "Raffaele the Amigan"OS-TAN phenomenon it is quickly emerging from sub-culture and becaming an important manga-anime-computer movement!

Well, I really don't think OS-tans are anywhere near of becoming "mainstream", or at least barely known by the general public.

I don't think they'd adopt the current OS-tans as official mascots. If they ever started using mascots ala OS-tans, companies would probably create their own versions, showing all the positive aspects and none of the negative (I don't think Microsoft would ever market Windows XP/Vista as a memory hog >_>). But It'd be nice If they respected the current designs.

As for companies suing artists for copyright violation, I don't think it'd happen. It doesn't matter If the drawing illustrates the OS/hardware in a positive or negative way, it's just your opinion. As long as you're not gaining any profit from OS-tans, I don't think they'd have a reason to sue. I don't see companies suing bloggers for writing in favor or against their products. I think it'd apply  the same way for OS-tans

And I have never seen OS-tans as a marketing strategy (I have never bought anything based on their mascot >_>), but I do recognize they give a simple material object some kind of "soul". Yeah, sounds weird, but I feel more proud of my computer because of the OS-tan that represents her OS.  ;013

P.S: lol, necroposting

Bella

QuoteAnd I have never seen OS-tans as a marketing strategy (I have never bought anything based on their mascot >_>), but I do recognize they give a simple material object some kind of "soul". Yeah, sounds weird, but I feel more proud of my computer because of the OS-tan that represents her OS.

Me too :)

When I first saw Homeko, I was like, wow! She's so pretty....even if she is a bit of a perv... ;)

xonomech

here in Mexico almost nobody know the OS-TANS... when i show them to some friend, someones says that is "¡Estan bien wenas!" (they r Hot!) or "Es algo extraño, casi aterrador" (they make me creepy)... y hope to see someting of the OS-Tans in the newpapers of my country (like Ghost Recon 3), that will be so cool!
----Xonomech Xeno Mecha----