What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

The modern ones do, I know that for sure. They have their own OSes made specifically for that console, but the Xbox and 360 use a modified version of Windows.

And of course, the PS3 -USED- to be able to run Linux (most notably Yellow Dog, which has a PS3 version). Reading about how Sony dropped support for Linux now makes me rethink Yellow Dog-tan's backstory as a PS3 fangirl. She's been betrayed. :(

Chocofreak13

well, it's their loss. she probably would have been harder to hack, meaning alot less people would have lost their info. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, I accidentally killed Windows XP Mode trying to make the Whistler theme work (The theme used in earlier prototype versions of Windows XP); so now, 2k-tan the Desktop only has Windows 2000 Mode through Virtualbox (Or, as I labeled it, "2k-on-2k Mode"). Besides, 2k-on-2k is much more useful than XP Mode, plus having bits of the interface of both 7 and 2000 blended together on-screen is simply awesome; a nice mix of old and new

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 05, 2011, 12:24:20 PM
@bella: aaah. ok, that i MIGHT participate in. but it'd be rather awkward since this a mostly-male site, and we can't bar them from posting. :\

It's only awkward if you make it awkward. =____=

Back on topic:

I'm using a 2.93ghz Intel Core Core 2 Duo PC running a proprietary variety of BSD Unix, which happens to be the only certified Unix on the home computer market. It has 4gb ram and a 700bg hdd and two 500gb backup disks.

Chocofreak13

@pentium: sucks that you lost xp. but if you're happy, at least you're happy. :3
@bells: anything having to do with things like that is awkward in my book. excuse me for being a bit more conservative in that department. :\

so there was a Unix home version? :3  (should we put her in a track suit and put her hair in a ponytail? >w< )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Choco: I still have the installer for XP Mode archived, although I probably won't set it up again until I either get that 128GB SSD I've had my eyes on or a 1TB HDD; the old 80GB HDD I'm using now just doesn't have enough space for everything.

Chocofreak13

mmm. you're outgrowing your drive like i outgrew my music drive. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

QuoteI'm using a 2.93ghz Intel Core Core 2 Duo PC running a proprietary variety of BSD Unix
But that's just your iMac, with some Semantics. -_-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 05, 2011, 09:58:07 PMso there was a Unix home version? :3  (should we put her in a track suit and put her hair in a ponytail? >w< )

Yes, and it's called Mac OSX 10.6.

The only home-use/small-scale server-use Unix to be certified under the Single Unix Specification. >W<

Quote from: NejinOniwa on May 05, 2011, 10:16:55 PM
QuoteI'm using a 2.93ghz Intel Core Core 2 Duo PC running a proprietary variety of BSD Unix
But that's just your iMac, with some Semantics. -_-;

That's right. ~( ̄▽ ̄~)

Nichi

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 05, 2011, 10:04:35 PM
mmm. you're outgrowing your drive like i outgrew my music drive. :\

Yeah. The drive seemed bigger in the PC I pulled it from, which ran on Windows XP

Chocofreak13

lol. XP likes em' big and chunky. xD

@bells: use the common name for stuff from now on. I don't claim i'm using some fancy unreleased version of windows with a custom overlay because i'm using a bootleg copy of 7 with a teto kasane themepack. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

...........But Mac OSX IS a variety of BSD Unix..... it has far more in common with its *Nix kin - BSD, Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, Tru64, Mach, Darwin, even the ancestral Research Unix versions that Bell Labs made throughout the 1970s - than it does anything in the Mac Classic lineup. -________-

NejinOniwa

But you COULD claim you're using a nonstandard version of Windows NT 6.1 with a graphics shell, Aero and whatnot. Or VMS2 6.1, if one would dare speak of it that way.

Red-Machine

And I could claim I'm running a modified, highly streamlined and optimised version of Windows NT 5.1 on my laptop that is powered by teh awesomeness that is nVidia (both physically and graphically).

Wait... I am.  I win!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

You know - one could also quite possibly claim that you're a delusional zealot. The degree of truth found in such non-objective statements tend to be rather...variable, however, so I wouldn't.