What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on April 02, 2011, 09:53:06 AM
I was selected to be a tester of Lion.

So I'm now using Mac OSX (10.7)

All this talk of Lion is making me want to buy a copy and run it when its released....

........on a VM, since I'd never replace my dear, dear Snow Leopard with Lion.

Aurora Borealis

I have no interest in upgrading to Lion. It dropped all support for Rosetta (including Universal apps), which will screw a lot of people over, including me since few of my apps are Intel-only, and also dislike how it's turning OSX into iOS, so I'll stick with Leopard for as long as I can. Maybe I'll run it on a VM, but I don't think it will become my main OS any time soon. :-/

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 02, 2011, 01:42:17 PM
I have no interest in upgrading to Lion. It dropped all support for Rosetta (including Universal apps), which will screw a lot of people over, including me since few of my apps are Intel-only, and also dislike how it's turning OSX into iOS, so I'll stick with Leopard for as long as I can. Maybe I'll run it on a VM, but I don't think it will become my main OS any time soon. :-/

*hugs Aurora-hime tightly*

THIS. THIS THIS THIS.

I really hate the shift toward an iOS-like interface too.... if I get it, it'll be to play around with on a VM. -___-

Paul

Shame over me, didn't even know a new Release was coming...

But that iOS-esque interface SUCKS big time IMO... but I gotta admit I wasn't all too pleased with the metallic look of Leopard and Snow Leopard either. IMO Tiger's clean white look was rather perfect.

Krizonar

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 02, 2011, 01:42:17 PM
I've had one app break, which was Onyx, who for some reason make every app OS specific (there's an Onyx for Tiger/Leopard/SL/etc). So that's actually their fault.
My garageband add-ons are universal and it did NOT break them.
The only things really reminiscent (lol I spelled that wrong and it auto-corrected, nice) of iOS are the scroll bars, which are actually incredibly sexy. The new theme is sexy too.

Aurora Borealis

If anything, going from 10.6 to 10.7 will be a lot like going from System 6 to System 7, but may be even worse of a transition because of even worse compatibility issues.

@Krizo: Is it just PPC-only apps that don't work anymore?

Krizonar

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 02, 2011, 02:02:04 PM
@Krizo: Is it just PPC-only apps that don't work anymore?

Yes.

I had no problems upgrading, it even kept my background and dock icons.

svx

So, I got to play with Ubuntu on my friend's laptop...

I'm... well... confused...

The window manager was neat. I guess. I've never seen it before, nor have I heard of it before, but it was distinctly bass-ackwards... Eh, maybe something based on Gnome?

Scroll the scroll bar up to scroll the window down?
Minimize/maximize/close buttons in reverse order, on the left side of windows no less? :p

Did not like this Ubuntu
Not dyslexic enough for it

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Do you mean the TI-89 calculator or the TI-99 computer?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

The "computer" is the TI-92. And I meant the TI-89, seeing as that's what I wrote. Then again the TI-89 as pretty much the power and capability of an old 80's Tandy, so yeah...

Pitkin

I should probably sell my own TI-8something calculator. Absolutely no use for it after high school since they were banned at university, and I'm probably never going to need a graphical calculator anymore. ~.~

NejinOniwa

Why in hell was it banned at uni anyway? -_-;

Aurora Borealis

I have no idea. That reminds me, which I took the ACT exams in high school, TI-89s weren't allowed, but TI-83s and 84s were. How could a calculator be too powerful that it's banned?

Bella

I just use a standard business calculator and MY BRAIN~!