What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanaryTan

I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on March 27, 2011, 11:27:17 AM
Quote from: Red-Machine on March 27, 2011, 05:33:11 AM
The Borg can kiss my ass.  I use my PC for gaming and web browsing, that't it.  I'm not migrating to a new OS unless I stop gaming or it can game just as well as Windows.  End of.

It's hilarious how gamers bitch and moan about how certain OSes are not able to host their games and will, therefor, never switch to said OSes, all the while COMPLETELY ignoring the concepts of virtualization (though I can't blame them for this one: the concept of using virtualized systems to run programs the host can't has only been around since the 1960s) and dual-booting.
Ew, dual booting :(
I run STO in virtuilization (because it's only available for computer) ... but games are better on consoles!

Krizonar

Quote from: CanaryTan on March 27, 2011, 11:46:57 AM
Using nintendo DSi! :D
When I first got the e-mail from them, I checked it out and one of the things I thought was how Nintendo has stepped up their game.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on March 27, 2011, 11:27:17 AMIt's hilarious how gamers bitch and moan about how certain OSes are not able to host their games and will, therefor, never switch to said OSes, all the while COMPLETELY ignoring the concepts of virtualization (though I can't blame them for this one: the concept of using virtualized systems to run programs the host can't has only been around since the 1960s) and dual-booting.

Why the hell would I want to emulate Windows in order to play my games?  Emulation is SO poor right now, that the performance would be unacceptable.  Add to that incompatibility, cos some programs/games just don't like emulators.  I'm also not going to have an OS JUST for gaming and an OS JUST for web browsing, it's too much hassle and takes up too much hard drive space.  Single OS or bust.

Your argument is fail.  Long live Windows!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Aurora Borealis

The remarks about assimilation weren't meant to be taken seriously. :(

Here I am, using OSX as my main OS, joking about Unix assimilating people in Instrumentality. :P

Dr. Kraus

Guess I need to pull this out again...

The main reasons I use Windows is that of the following:
1. Microsoft Windows is used in a good 85% of business' around the world.
2. I need to use and completely understand Windows to make a living alongside my dad
3. A good solid 95% of games made for the computer are mainly Windows only compatible with a few exceptions such as Wine.

Though I do come across the Macintosh user at work and most of the time they have a copy of Windows installed alongside OSX which makes my job MUCH easier when I need to restore files and yata yata yata but I get handed most of the Macintosh stuff because I'm more familiar than my dad at somethings within OSX.

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Krizonar

Reminds me of multimedia class...

"you got to does all your work on windows"

lol f that

/takes it home, does it all in 1/3 the time and brings it back 10x better

"look good, u get A"

Chocofreak13

@bella, red: i love you both dearly, but shut the fuck up. you two sound like idiots when you argue about something as petty as os choice. there's -tans for mac, there's -tans for windows. hell, there's -tans for computers that don't exist anymore. if we can't learn to love all of them, we shouldn't be here. >:[

@canary: yey! ^^ there was a video on my friend's dsi that i wanted badly....but i couldn't find it online. >__<;
@kraus: likewise on most points, plus i'm more familiar with it and since i use it for school i need to be. :\
@aurora: eh, we're all probably gonna be assimilated under singularity anyway, but i figure it'll be under a completely new OS (like how if persocoms were invented they'd probably run on independent software).

i was thinking about all the things i'd do to make a persocom if i could this morning. :\ speaker in the mouth, motion sensors in the eyes, microphones in the ears. i'd make her have speech recognition, maybe a cd drive in the head like dorothy wainwright, maybe a tempature gauge in where the heart would be.....

i'd need some longass cables, since the motherboard would likely be in the back. =P
click to make it bigger

Bella

I don't doubt the usefulness or place that Windows has in the computing world; it's just that the technological superiority of Unix is without question. There's a reason why Windows-powered machines are exceedingly rare in the world of servers, mainframes, supercomputers and other large-scale systems - and why Unix variants are prevalent among them.

(Don't believe me, at least on the server point? Go to this site, type in a URL, and behold as some variant of *Nix and/or Apache [which is usually used on Linux servers just so you know] comes up as the OS/server software.)

Windows isn't a bad OS, but it's absurd trying to compare it to - or claim its superiority over - Unix.

Chocofreak13

QUIET WOMAN

THIS IS NOT THE THEATRE TO ARGUE SUPERIORITY.
WE ARE A PEACEFUL NATION OF COMPUTER-LOVERS, IF YOU DISTURB THAT PEACE SO HELP ME I WILL COME UP THERE AND MAKE YOU LISTEN TO "HELLO WINDOWS" UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO PLAY NICE.

and don't think i can't track you down. i used to sniff out my friends on the playground--literally. >:[
click to make it bigger

Bella

FINE, BUT LET ME STATE FOR THE RECORD THAT THE LIKES OF OPENVMS, MULTICS, TOPS-10, TENEX AND ITS ARE FAR SUPERIOR THAN UNIX, WINDOWS, OR ANYTHING ELSE WE USE TODAY. NOTHING LIKE STUDYING COMPUTER HISTORY TO PUT OUR PITIFUL OSES IN THEIR PLACES....

Aurora Borealis

This better not be the start of a flame war.

Unix was the Windows of its era. :D Both sides are equal!

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 27, 2011, 08:20:52 PMUnix was the Windows of its era. :D Both sides are equal!

Oh my yes. Right down to it destroying virtually everything that came before it/making the market toxic to any other alternatives. In an ironic twist of fate, Windows almost did the same thing to Macintosh - but Mac was able to come back in the market because it became a Unix-based OS.

KARMA!

Aurora Borealis

But the Classic Mac OS still hung on for a few years after OSX's introduction, and during the Mac OS 9 era, Apple was already making a comeback.

Makes me sad to think the only practical way one can escape from Unix is to switch to Windows and avoid nearly every smartphone model on the market.

I know all about the OS Wars, but what was it about Unix that allowed it to take over the market, and when?