What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goujer (she/her)

I had a wierdly similar problem over the summer with DDR 2 sticks.

Nichi

Ahh :\

So, it very well could still be a CPU problem, from what I'm reading, but because I don't have anyone specifically helping me with my exact problem and I'm going solely off of other people's problems with radically different configurations than mine, it could honestly be anything. Maybe it's just my depression speaking, but can I just say I'm almost to the point I just want to scrap 2k and pretend that it never existed? I have far too much to worry about as it is :\
inb4 people yell at me for "giving up"

EDIT: For the sake of my sanity and in the name of trying to have a good Festivus, I put away 2k for now. Likely after the holiday weekend, I'll file a claim to get the board replaced

LeaflameSD

EDIT: here's my specs

not high-end by any means but at least decent
got fucked over with the hard drive tho

Chocofreak13

yeesh, you poor thing. if you can find someone to do the work for cheap, a 250gb drive shouldn't be much more. but for the time being, it'll get you online and let you use Gimp, which from my understanding is most of what you like to do. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

An i3? Very nice; I considered shoehorning one into Asagi III, although I suppose I have enough on my plate with simply getting 2k to work again :\
(For the record, the CPU is damaged. I just need to decide if I want to keep the new mobo, which opens the door for a newer i7, or return it and stick to the old one, which while more restrictive on what processors I can use without flashing it, does allow me to keep all of my case fans and has greater expansion potential)

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 23, 2015, 11:10:35 PM
yeesh, you poor thing. if you can find someone to do the work for cheap, a 250gb drive shouldn't be much more. but for the time being, it'll get you online and let you use Gimp, which from my understanding is most of what you like to do. :0
maybe i'll pick one up from ebay. i also need a battery for this thing, because the battery included doesn't hold a charge anymore. and a cooling fan. not so sure about drawing with a trackpad tho :0

Quote from: Penti-chan on December 24, 2015, 12:04:31 AM
An i3? Very nice; I considered shoehorning one into Asagi III, although I suppose I have enough on my plate with simply getting 2k to work again :\
(For the record, the CPU is damaged. I just need to decide if I want to keep the new mobo, which opens the door for a newer i7, or return it and stick to the old one, which while more restrictive on what processors I can use without flashing it, does allow me to keep all of my case fans and has greater expansion potential)
the i3 is pretty good on this one. makes running windows a cinch :^)
of course, gaming on it won't be that gr8 compared to its siblings

Chocofreak13

you'll make it work, i'm sure.

do you honestly see yourself not using the cord that often? it doesn't need it, but i keep mine plugged in near-constantly; don't see a need not to. you can use the savings to pick up a cooling pad and cheap tablet (i recommend Genius or Kanvus, they both worked well for me, though if you get lucky you might be able to snipe an older-model Wacom on ebay for cheapish). :0
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

just installed windows 10 home
i like it

Dr. Kraus

Debating if I should sell off my vintage systems and just dedicate my laptop(which I don't really use) for emulation or just build a small computer for emulation and basic media needs.
Selling everything off for its full value would probably put me at roughly $700-$800 and that is without adding in the games for each.
So I could build a really beefy emulation/media/gaming machine for around $500-$600 that would also act as my computer when I move out to the dorms or cheap apartment in the near future (probably).

Otherwise I just keep all my systems (fucking 16 consoles, holy shit when did I get this many) with most of them just sitting in storage because I don't have the room, inputs, and needs to hook them all up.
Right now I'm working 50 hour weeks with little time to want to sit down and play through Metroid, Twilight Princess, Stella Glow, or really any game that would take some time to play through.
Funny enough I've started to get the feeling of wanting to return to my classic days where I only ever owned one console at a time and then sold that console after getting the newest one.
I did keep my Gamecube though just because of how much I love that system, I did give my wii away to my little cousins shortly after getting a xb360.
But now I have so much stuff with so little room now to utilize for them.

In the end I think I'm just going to wait some paychecks and then build a nice beefy machine while still holding on to my stuff which I will slowly sell off over time.
As I put in the vidya thread, anyone who is looking for vintage stuff don't be afraid to reach out and (touch)ask me.
I have plenty of stuff and I'm willing to sell for a decent price if not just what I paid for it.

oh, here are the specs for that little rig I'm thinking of:

Fractal Design Core1100 MircoATX tower
MSI H81M-P33 LGA 1150 Intel Mobo
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell Dual-Core 2.7Ghz LGA 1150 53W
NZXT HALE82 550W Fully Modular PS
MSI Radeon 6450 2GB 64-bit Low Profile GPU (Just because I don't really want to run with the on board video)

Total: $298

Pros:
Easily upgrade CPU if I really need or want more power in the system
8GB should be more than enough
Celeron is cheap but is an all purpose, all around decent processor that will get the job done
Fully Modular power will allow me to manage cables way for efficiently for this small build
Very low power consumption
Upgrade over time, very good long term investment

Cons:
Price is a little high for a low-end build like this
The GPU is going to be pretty crap in the long run, it will probably hold up for a while before giving up the ghost
Since this is a MicroATX build, space for additional components is quite low
No Optical media drive or media support drives at all
Still a tower so I would have to give up floor space for it

Quick & Easy other option

Bestbuy Dell Inspiron I3252-6550BLK
Intel Pentium 2.4 GHz
500GB HDD
Wifi
Optical Drive
SD Card Reader
4GB RAM DDR3 1600
Windows 10
Intel Integrated Graphics
Bluetooth

Cons:
Intel Graphics will probably work alright but I would still put a low profile card just to lean off straining the board
No idea if the Pentium is Dual or not (Probably) but it still runs a little slower than that Celeron
Only 4GB RAM so I would probably throw an 8 GB stick in there anyhow
Windows 10, why the hell would I want that?

Pros:
Built in wifi is a big plus for when I move and might not have easy access to CAT5
Bluetooth is kinda cool I guess
Comes with a drive, something I didn't include with the build but I have spares lying around anyhow
Built in optical and SD card so no external adapters or drives for all of that stuff
Very slim and low profile design would allow me to pretty much put it anywhere on my entertainment piece without issue.

LeaflameSD

calling all specheads

if you're willing to help me pick a computer, contact me on skype

Chocofreak13

Softy has finally passed on.

in her place, comes an instantaneous replacement:

Unnamed Laptop
Toshiba Satellite L75D-A7283
AMD A-Series A4-5000 (1.50GHz)
6GB RAM
750GB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 8330
1600 x 900 (17.3" Screen)
Windows 8 64-Bit (broken copy; gonna peel it off and install 7)
DVD Super Multi

'Toshy' feels too uninspired (though 'Toshoko' means Library in Japanese...), and Freeby, while hilarious, almost feels disrespectful.

who knows, i kinda like the ring of Freeby.
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

testing laptop
will provide spec info

Nichi

@Kraus: The biggest thing is the Pentium has more on-board cache than the Celeron (3MB vs 2MB), which will have a greater impact on performance. So, I'd go for that.

After months, 2k-tan is back up...not quite in the way I expected, as I recently recovered the desktop I built for grandma a few years back that she never used (Before they could try to give it to my uncle). Thus, enter the fusion of 2k-tan and Emmy:

2kME-tan (2k-tan the Desktop, Version 1.1):
CPU: AMD A4 (2.5Ghz Dual)
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850 (unchanged)

Although nowhere near as beefy as 2k's original setup (The i7 I was using is damaged by unknown causes, and I can't afford a replacement, let alone an upgrade), I was able to take Emmy and move her components into 2k's original case, creating this fusion. I had to half the RAM, sadly, but I was able to go back to Windows 7, at least (I had a copy of 7 Home Premium I bought for Emmy, which I was able to reuse; since the mobo and CPU remained the same)

Chocofreak13

better than nothing, right? wonder if it can handle Fallout or any other games. :0
click to make it bigger