What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goujer (she/her)

How have you divided the DIMMs?

I currently have an awkward 10GB with 2GBx3 and a 4GB.

Nichi

16GB, with 4GBx4. I didn't want to half that to get 2k back up, which made finding an adequate motherboard tricky

Chocofreak13

glad to hear you've gotten what you were looking for, and cheaper to boot! did it come with a warranty? :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah; it has a 3-year warranty through the manufacturer :3

I might upgrade the graphics card, too...but, for now, my #1 concern is getting 2k running again; upgrades to do Fallout 4 can wait

Chocofreak13

good luck! and if all else fails, just downgrade the quality a bit. Steve's computer (Franky)'s a beast, and even he had to tick it down a bit (it reeeeally doesn't make a difference). if you could play Fallout 3, you can play 4. :0
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

for the time being before i get my laptop

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 13, 2015, 06:24:43 PM
good luck! and if all else fails, just downgrade the quality a bit. Steve's computer (Franky)'s a beast, and even he had to tick it down a bit (it reeeeally doesn't make a difference). if you could play Fallout 3, you can play 4. :0

Except FO4's recommended CPU requirement is, in worse case, almost double that of FO3 (4.7ghz (AMD) or 3.6ghz (Intel) vs. 2.4ghz) and like 4 times as much RAM. Not to mention the video card stuff (that I am almost totally ignorant of).

Goujer (she/her)

GeForce Experience solves all my problems with graphics settings. Except for heavily modded Skyrim.

Nichi

@Bella: As a note, it suggests a 2nd-gen i5 at minimum...which a 2nd-gen i7 blows even a 6th-gen i5 out of the water in benchmarks, so in terms of CPU, I should be fine. The graphics card is really the biggest issue here :\
(Although, I can probably run it at like 640x480 butt-ugly mode)

LeaflameSD

so I essentially got a £70 laptop
self reminder to post more tomorrowsday :}

Chocofreak13

@Bells, Pent: which is why i said to turn the quality down. at the very least, his specs have 90% of it covered. also, Pent, in the event your graphics card isn't on an 'approved' list, try it anyway; mine wasn't on Klei's approved list and i can still run Don't Starve and DST just fine. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True. I saw someone turn down the graphics on Skyrim so low that it almost resembled ReBoot xD
(Low-Res Skyrim made Morrowind look like...normal Skyrim)

Nichi

Rebuild of 2k has begun. So far, biggest change is that, sadly, I lose 2 case fans; I need to find some sort of card or something to plug them into :\

EDIT: ...goddammit. New motherboard, same exact fucking problem >>;
I'll mess with it more later; I need to get to work :\

EDIT2: Decides to try one last thing before I left; unplugging absolutely everything except main power and the CPU fan. Thus, I think this rules out "dead power supply", and I just wasted $80 to determine that it's not the motherboard, so...I'm pretty much fucked unless someone has a new-old-stock 2nd-gen or 3rd-gen i3/i5/i7, as it may very well be the processor that burned out, and I seriously do not have any more money to blindly throw at this. Basically, there goes my good mood today

EDIT3: Disregard previous 2 edits; 2k is working again; seems some of her RAM is dead (The new motherboard allowing for use of a PC Speaker...so I retrieve the one from the Yeti. It's a little weird to turn on 2k-tan and hear the Yeti's familiar "happy beep" at startup once I had working RAM inserted)

EDIT4:  All 4 RAM sticks work...just not together; if I go above 2 at a time, it doesn't work. Really hope it's just some BIOS setting, or that it's 2 different sets of RAM causing problems, and not that the board is bad :\

LeaflameSD

Nichi

Indeed. Although, even with my graphics card inserted (Radeon HD 6850) with full RAM, it does the same :\