What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

dad's laptop is now running windows 7 ultimate.
even with its shit specs, it flies

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Leaf on August 28, 2015, 05:23:08 AM
dad's laptop is now running windows 7 ultimate.
even with its shit specs, it flies

nice... maybe when 10 comes the update can help it to go even faster

LeaflameSD

I just realized the pun in the new os-tan's name

Nichi

So, as I mentioned in Topicless, 2k might be dead. I'm typing this from Asagi right now, as I begin various tests to try and figure out what's going on; hoping I don't need to dump money I don't have into replacing something on her. My main theory is something on the motherboard gave out, with how she's acting right now (Similarly to my Game Gear, which has dried up caps; turns on, and almost immediately turns back off within a few seconds) and how she acted at the time of the crash...but I really want to avoid saying that until after I do some other things.

It is a touch strange for her to spontaneously suffer from critical existence failure like this; absolutely no signs anything was wrong, and then BAM; dead.

I tried letting her sit for a few minutes, tried cleaning out the dust, and nothing :\
(Also, can I just say the manual for the motherboard is near-worthless?)

EDIT: So, I wanted to test the power supply...and the only PC I have access to that'd be compatible is at grandma's office. Conveniently, Eloise uses a proprietary HP power supply, Frankenstein V3 had an extra plug that 2k's power supply doesn't have, and of course, the Yeti's motherboard is designed for a much older power supply type in mind. So, if I want to do this, I have to go to the office, when I didn't intend to go anywhere until the meeting this afternoon >>;

EDIT2: It might be the motherboard. I just remembered that shitty eMachines desktop mom bought 10 years ago still exists, so I plugged 2k's power supply into it, and it works fine with no loss of power. So, yay; pest I start shopping around for one and hope I don't also have to replace the processor and RAM (If I do, fuck it; 2k-mk2 will just have to happen sooner >>; )

Until then, I set up Eloise and get the latest Linux Mint on her, and retrieve my files from 2k

EDIT3: Fighting with 2k's drives to get my files off, so I can still use them while she's down, was not how I wanted to spend my morning. I kinda want to shop around for a new motherboard, but I'm fairly certain I can't afford one without killing my moving fund, and of course, nobody's around to try and distract me, and my connection is is being held hostage by Mint installing updates :\

At the very least, Eloise is a lot quieter than 2k, which is nice since I have a headache

EDIT4: You want to know the most pathetic part of all of this? 2k hadn't even reached her 5th birthday yet, and by comparison, the Yeti (Whom was the template for 2k's design) still works almost 20 years later.

EDIT5: ...and it seems there are barely any options out there for a replacement motherboard, due to age. I either have to take a gamble on a low-end refurbished motherboard that hopefully won't shit itself under the weight of the rest of 2k (I also lose like 3\4 of my USB ports in the process), or start over from scratch (Which I really can't afford anytime soon, between moving and that car).

Dr. Kraus

@pent:
Looks like your gonna have to go cyberpunk dystopia fashion and just use an outdated computer or hardware to survive at the moment!
I had to do it once before when I was in high school, used an acer laptop with Windows XP on it for around a year before I could get myself a new build!
Though, windows XP isn't even THAT old but at the time I was used to win 7/8 so going back to XP was a little troublesome.
It was also a decent laptop with a duel core but its graphics were the worst so I couldn't play any games that majorly required a decent vid card.

Gotta say though that my current comp is getting on in years, getting around to 7 years soon! I've been lucky with only having to replace or upgrade minor parts and nothing like the motherboard.
Upgraded the vid card 3 different times since building it 7 years ago
Upgraded HDDs over the past 3 years with larger ones or added new ones. Just put in two SSDs around a month or so ago.
Power sup died around 3 years ago but got a free one thanks to warranty!
Upgraded the case to a expensive one about 1 year ago.

Thanks to the move I lost all the old systems that we had around the house:
2x Macintosh 8100
Power Mac G3
2x Dell Servers (towers)
iMac (1st gen)
IBM Thinkpad (Win98)

Nichi

Indeed. I'm on a business class HP with 4GB RAM and a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo (I think it's a first-gen C2D), running Linux Mint...and remembering just how godawful Skype for Linux is.

Still, once I can get 2k up and running, and especially when I build 2k-mk2 in a few years, I don't think I want to use an MSI motherboard again; I'm likely going to have to go for an ASUS to get her back up if I order on Newegg (Finding a motherboard that will work for a second-gen i7 is a pain in the ass now, as it seems my only option for a brand I recognize is ASUS)

Chocofreak13

I JUST FOUND OUT THE COMPUTER AT WORK HAS 16GB OF RAM AND A 3.5GHz QUAD CORE SOMEONE STOP ME FROM STEALING THIS THING
click to make it bigger

Nichi

They're running desktops as powerful as 2k there .___.;

TBH, as far as 2k, I've considered getting a new processor when I replace the motherboard, but the big issue is I'm not sure how expensive that'd get, since other components would need to be swapped out. Likely, I'll just get a new motherboard for now and hope it holds me out for 5 more years until I'm ready to create 2k-mk2.

Chocofreak13

this is what the powerhouse looks like.

THIS DOES NOT REQUIRE GAMING AMOUNTS OF RAM. ಠ_ಠ

image sourced from ebay, i did not disconnect the workstation
click to make it bigger

Nichi

>That Intel Inside sticker
That's running on a newer generation processor than 2k .___.;

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

2k's an i7, so she's still a head above (I did a comparison of the benchmarks of the latest DEVIL'S VALLEY i5 to the Sandy Bridge i7 that 2k is using, and for something that's nearly 5 years old, it's still beastly)

Chocofreak13

yeah, you really went all out with that. but this guy's no slouch. i wonder what they do with their old tech?
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

got used laptop with fucked lcd
getting it repaired for £70

Chocofreak13

hope that's affordable?

speaking of, i think i'm in the market for a new laptop. >>;
click to make it bigger