What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: winduko on August 22, 2015, 09:57:36 AM
Oh! So that's what I can do with this USB I have lying around.

it's one of the choices you have

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Legojer on August 22, 2015, 09:08:49 AM
@Dustiiwolf Readyboost will allow you to use a USB as a RAM to HDD cache. I used it sometimes on my old Windows 7 x64 system when it only had 2GB of RAM. I found that it mildly decreases RAM usage and increases preformance a small amount.

I still get told that my PC cannot benefit from it and therefor cannot use it. Perhaps its the processor rather than the ram, or a combination of factors (ram size + cpu performance)?

In other news, Microsoft, I have determined, officially f***ed up the public build of Windows 10. Everything was pretty smooth on the last insider builds. Now I'm on my fourth in-place upgrade, this time "out of the box" both the Windows Store and Outlook apps are improperly installed and therefor wont work. Going to have to delete their files and recopy them from the WIM image, most likely.

Also, Claudia (the Live2D app) keeps getting uninstalled each "upgrade". Luckily I can use PowerShell and a copy of the app folder to bring her back.

I have no idea what Microsoft did but they screwed up. Thinking it's the actual upgrade software itself, as all 3 types (Windows Update version, Media Tool version, and the Upgrade itself) have issues either preventing upgrade or causing anomalies after upgrade. Probably changed to handle new licensing system (btw some people have been given valid permanent licenses for 10 when upgrading from pirated copies of 7 & 8.x despite the intended operation), and bugs were likely introduced at that point.

So many random issues with so many people and no indicator of the cause of each issue @~@
Official -tans are my bat signal.

LeaflameSD

so after finding out what the problem was with usb sticks (the usb didn't have a drive letter assigned; windows vista more like windows bullshit), i installed a LITE HAXED version of windows 7.

runs pretty smooth so far. guess vista wasn't meant for netbooks. of course... i could've put a linux distro on it but i don't feel like messing around with terminals

DustiiWolf

Quote from: LeaflameSD on August 23, 2015, 07:22:01 AM
guess vista wasn't meant for netbooks.

Vista wasn't meant for half the low budget machines it was on. Netbooks, meanwhile, are some of the budget-iest of the budget-iest, so naturally Vista isn't designed for them.

Netbooks in and of themselves are rather poor machines for the most part. Only used one that was decent (Aspire One), and even then their marketed purposes were practically replaced by 7" tablets (hence why you dont really see them much anymore)
Official -tans are my bat signal.

alfonso_rd_30

yes, netbooks aren't designed 4 WinV

LeaflameSD

fixed my dad's laptop (fresh-installed windows vista lite) for some easy money

keh heh heh

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: LeaflameSD on August 25, 2015, 05:13:04 AM
fixed my dad's laptop (fresh-installed windows vista lite) for some easy money

keh heh heh

lucky you, I'm usually unpaid tech support

LeaflameSD

I just asked and my dad was like 'I'll give you money'
It was a bitch to install vista anyway

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Leaf on August 25, 2015, 04:37:44 PM
I just asked and my dad was like 'I'll give you money'
It was a bitch to install vista anyway

just a tip... something small...

NEVER EVER USE WINDOWS VISTA FOR ANYTHING... BETTER INSTALL WINDOWS ME!!!!!

LeaflameSD

vista really doesn't deserve the hate it gets

Nichi

^ True. Most of the issues came from shit-tier hardware that couldn't handle it and hardware companies not pushing out updates for their drivers fast enough; by the time they had the bugs worked out, the damage had been done and they had to release a new version.

alfonso_rd_30

True, but in my <limited > Xperience with it I found it lacking...

LeaflameSD

although nobody brought it up, Windows 7 is basically an upgraded version of Vista and that gets a never-ending stream of support
so I never really understood what about Vista was so bad, even though at launch no hardware could really run it

Bella

Quote from: Leaf on August 26, 2015, 03:49:43 AM
vista really doesn't deserve the hate it gets

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 26, 2015, 09:22:46 AM
^ True. Most of the issues came from shit-tier hardware that couldn't handle it and hardware companies not pushing out updates for their drivers fast enough; by the time they had the bugs worked out, the damage had been done and they had to release a new version.

Indeed, I think the backlash was mostly due to XP being very popular and people wanting to hold onto it, and the Vista rollout being so disastrous.

Objectively speaking I don't think Vista was a particularly bad OS for its time.

Nichi

True; I mean, keep in mind XP was near-universally despised when it came out, due to the then-ludicrously high amount of RAM it demanded; it could run with as low as 64MB RAM, but you needed at least 256MB RAM to do anything beyond the most basic stuff, due to the amount of bloat over 2k, and especially over 9x/ME. It wasn't until about half-way through the XP lifecycle that hardware started to catch up and could run it properly, as people began to adore it.