What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfonso_rd_30

I think I still have an 8 vb out there

DustiiWolf

(Sorry for poor photo quality)

Meet "Vai-chan"

Haven't got a stylus yet, but will hopefully soon (Plan on getting the Surface Pen; Vai uses N-Trig DuoSense 2 tech). Will be using 'em for reading, note-taking, and art, while Blueberry will handle my day-to-day tasks.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

What is that icon above Minecraft? It looks like Chie Satonaka holding a PSP

Goujer (she/her)

After many BSODs on Windows 10, Windows 10 decided to take a massive dump on me and decided to just not boot. So I had to make a USB bootable drive (because F8 doesn't work of UEFI systems) where I was greated by a "this PC cannot be repaired" sign. Leaving my only option as go back to the previous build. (which still said "will go back to the previously installed preview build" I was on the retail build thank you)

I clicked that as it was my only option and I was presented with a spinning wheel next to the word restarting for another hour. I eventually did the restart manually and lone behold I was back on Windows 8.1.

I have learned that under the Windows 10 recovery menu you can go back to your previous OS for the first month Windows 10 is installed. However it will get rid of most of the things you did after you installed Windows 10.

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Legojer on August 15, 2015, 09:47:23 PM
After many BSODs on Windows 10, Windows 10 decided to take a massive dump on me and decided to just not boot. So I had to make a USB bootable drive (because F8 doesn't work of UEFI systems) where I was greated by a "this PC cannot be repaired" sign. Leaving my only option as go back to the previous build. (which still said "will go back to the previously installed preview build" I was on the retail build thank you)

I clicked that as it was my only option and I was presented with a spinning wheel next to the word restarting for another hour. I eventually did the restart manually and lone behold I was back on Windows 8.1.

I have learned that under the Windows 10 recovery menu you can go back to your previous OS for the first month Windows 10 is installed. However it will get rid of most of the things you did after you installed Windows 10.

Tanks for the infomate

Nichi

That bit on the Windows 10 system restore still saying "preview build" reminds me of when I used Windows ME; I found if you inserted the Windows 95 CD, you'd get an error, and the message still said "You cannot install this while Windows 98 is running"
Poor ME-tan was having an identity crisis, it seems -w-;

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Legojer on August 15, 2015, 09:47:23 PM

Wonder what was causing the BSODs... Sadly had you been able to boot you could of tried an in place upgrade.

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 15, 2015, 09:27:08 PM
What is that icon above Minecraft? It looks like Chie Satonaka holding a PSP

It's the photos tile which I set to display a photo of Nikki (from Nintendo's Swapnotes title) upset when someone sent her a gift for a Wii U but what was in the box was a retro portable console (thinking Sega or the likes) approximately the size of the Wii U gamepad.

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 15, 2015, 10:01:58 PM
That bit on the Windows 10 system restore still saying "preview build" reminds me of when I used Windows ME; I found if you inserted the Windows 95 CD, you'd get an error, and the message still said "You cannot install this while Windows 98 is running"
Poor ME-tan was having an identity crisis, it seems -w-;

I think this depends on how the OS was installed and what recovery drive was used in Windows 10's case, though I could be wrong (I could see the Windows Recovery Environment being overlooked for any issues before release, as it's pretty much the same as Windows 8 and has gone unchanged from earlier builds side from being based off the latest OS build)

DustiiWolf

Well I thought I had this fixed but I dont; Blueberry is BSODing again. WINDBG says it's something to do with iaioi2ce.sys (the I2C controller), an unknown function, and it's execution timing out, but I cant seem to move beyond that to solving the issue. A web search results in ditto as far as iaioi2ce.sys and the DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION bugcheck, and searching for the latter alone turns up a lot of unhelpful, irrelevant results (as it turns out that bugcheck name is pretty vague as to the issue and offending driver, so there can be dozens of reasons it occurs).

Reinstalling the driver in question only delays the next BSOD, and it's becoming more frequent besides that. Makes it hard to get anything done. I have projects that must be finished, and going mouse-less (touchpad is on the I2C controller) is not an option. =___=

LeaflameSD

spend five hours installing updates for windows vista on my laptop yesterday

and usb flash drives still don't work.

Nichi

That sucks :\

Yesterday I had some strange issues out of Win10; the Start button simply stopped functioning. I managed to get it to reboot, as it seems this was somehow brought on by Windows needing to update; it installed some updates, and once it was back up, no further issues. Just, seems strange an update waiting to be installed would break the Start menu; requiring one to Ctrl+Alt+Del and click shutdown from there :\

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 21, 2015, 09:47:16 AM
That sucks :\

Yesterday I had some strange issues out of Win10; the Start button simply stopped functioning. I managed to get it to reboot, as it seems this was somehow brought on by Windows needing to update; it installed some updates, and once it was back up, no further issues. Just, seems strange an update waiting to be installed would break the Start menu; requiring one to Ctrl+Alt+Del and click shutdown from there :\

that's wy I pinned my task manager on the toolbart

DustiiWolf

Quote from: winduko on August 21, 2015, 02:28:02 PM
I actually had Windows 10 have the start menu not work on me for a bit, but I didn't feel like rebooting.

I got it back some time later without a reboot, however.

This was actually a serious issue in earlier builds but they fixed it for the most part with a following build. Current builds generally don't experience this, but it's popped up once or twice on some computers.

I believe it has to do with MS rebuilding the menu in XAML and WinRT.

Had to literally cold-boot Blueberry. Was running out of RAM and was overheating so I emergency shut down and stuck it in the freezer. Have no Idea why all these sudden problems are occurring.

Anyone know of any methods of using a file like RAM?

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: DustiiWolf on August 21, 2015, 08:59:51 PM
This was actually a serious issue in earlier builds but they fixed it for the most part with a following build. Current builds generally don't experience this, but it's popped up once or twice on some computers.

I believe it has to do with MS rebuilding the menu in XAML and WinRT.

Had to literally cold-boot Blueberry. Was running out of RAM and was overheating so I emergency shut down and stuck it in the freezer. Have no Idea why all these sudden problems are occurring.

Anyone know of any methods of using a file like RAM?

I think modern Win systems allow one to use usb as RAM

DustiiWolf

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on August 21, 2015, 11:47:53 PM
I think modern Win systems allow one to use usb as RAM

Thats only for 32-bit machines with less than 1GB ram. 64-bit machines will tell you your PC is too fast to benefit, options will be missing entirely, and afaik that feature prohibits the use of the drive.

I'd like something that can turn a vhd or empty file into virtual memory (I've increased my paging file to see if that helps).

Goujer (she/her)

@Dustiiwolf Readyboost will allow you to use a USB as a RAM to HDD cache. I used it sometimes on my old Windows 7 x64 system when it only had 2GB of RAM. I found that it mildly decreases RAM usage and increases preformance a small amount.