What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 07, 2015, 10:39:13 AM
So, apparently the update to Windows 10 is ready to go, and all I have to do is click the button. Going to make a quick backup of my stuff, and then start. Yeah, I heard MapleStory isn't 100% compatible yet, but...

"If it ain't broke, break it" -Meat Loaf

Running programs in compatibility mode usually help with issues. I've only found very few programs which cm couldn't fix compatibility issues.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

After a few tweaks to the interface, I found something glorious:

Paint Shop Pro 4: Still works after nearly 20 years -w-;

But, yeah; it's working nicely so far. I haven't run into any compatibility issues yet (I mean, if an image editor designed for Windows 95 still works on 10, anything I throw at it should work fine)...and I still have my Windows 2000 Virtualbox for if I need backward compatibility -w-)

EDIT: Well, its decision to download maps of the world so I can look things up without being online has dropped my internet connection into nonexistence for the time being :\

EDIT2: Took 2k to the office. I can also knock out some overdue updates, too (MapleStory being the biggest one)

EDIT3: Only direct compatibility error I've encountered is with Virtualbox; the makers of it have stated an updated version is in the works

EDIT4: Virtualbox is working again, a few kinks aside. Also, I got it to stop trying to update the maps, so now I can go back to normal use

Chocofreak13

@pent: good for you! ^^
@ghost: we tend to dump all "what computer blah blah blah" type discussions in here. -w-;
@leaf: i wish i could still use Opera, but it became too much of a memory sink. :\
@dustii: yeah, i just uninstalled the update, saved some hassle.
and i tried to wipe IE off here, but stopped the process when i learned of update's reliance on it. so i have a stripped, slightly broken older IE now. :\
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 07, 2015, 07:28:19 PM
@leaf: i wish i could still use Opera, but it became too much of a memory sink. :\
runs dog-slow on my shitbook

by the way
i have a really crappy netbook that can't even run its own os properly :?

Nichi

That sucks :\

I remember my mom wanting to buy this "laptop" that CVS had one year for Black Friday, for $50. I thankfully talked her out of it, as apparently the fact a store that doesn't normally stock computers like that suddenly has a computer wasn't enough of a red flag (It ran on Windows CE, and in terms of specs, it was in the void between "decent Windows-based netbook" and "VTech Educational Toy Laptop"). Thankfully, I talked her into instead spending $250 on a semi-decent HP laptop that Walmart had that year

EDIT: Although SeaMonkey is working just fine, Firefox is completely broken; anything over a secure connection will not load :\
So, I'm currently stuck using Edge as a secondary browser. I swear, the "Share" icon looks like an inverted version of the save file icon for PSO -w-;

alfonso_rd_30

nice... I'm still waiting for my Download copy of Windows 10... but I will install until I get a 3rd External HD and backup everything yet again...

and as for browsers... I'm using Citrio as my main man (only because I like to keep my 4shared account premium) and right now I'm abusing IE (Inori version) as backup browser

In phat, I'm visiting osc from inori

Chocofreak13

FF has been giving me a lot of issues recently relating to crashing. i just figured it was part of it being a memory sink. maybe it's something else? it's up-to-date. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I haven't had it crash; it just simply won't load anything with a secure connection anymore (OSC, Facebook, PayPal, etc.)
I use SeaMonkey as my main, with no issues, but this meant I had to start using Edge just to access FB from my other account -w-;

Chocofreak13

FF crashes all the time for me. it's become my new IE. :P that was a joke guys don't freak out
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Maybe you could attempt to Sea the Monkey? :3

DustiiWolf

So, It looks like, with some financial assistance from my partner, I shall be getting me a used Sony Vaio Tap 11 tablet PC off ebay for $255.

Getting the Pentium model, but I've actually had decent experience with later PCs in the processor line. Won't have the stylus or keyboard, but I plan on getting a stylus (Since it's N-Trig I'll shoot for the Surface Pen if N-Trig styli are universally compatible with N-Trig devices like Wacom is with their tech). Don't need the keyboard since I have my laptop.

As long as the recovery partition is in tact it looks like it comes with Art Rage Studio according to Sony. Yay art! :D

Plan on using it for my Nook books, artwork, and general use, while my laptop will be demoted to keyboard related tasks (development work, long forum posts, documents, games and the likes.)

Speaking of my laptop, Blueberry (an HP Stream 11. You can guess which color), is having many weird issues after getting the public release of Windows 10... Which is weird, because it had no issue with the insider builds (well, it did, but not this level of issues nor the severity of the issues). Fixed most things but the I2C driver seems to of been causing a DCP WATCHDOG VIOLATION bsod. Trying an Intel I2C driver from Lenovo to see if it's better. So good so far but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I think Microsoft f****d something up with the upgrade assistant, as both it and the Media Tool variant have had numerous failures in upgrading users, and I've twitter troubleshooted many people who surpassed upgrade errors to have strange, sometimes severe, anomalies with Windows 10 immediately post-upgrade.

Chocofreak13

*hears this as boyfriend's father is 'upgrading' his laptop to Win10*

greeeeeaaaat......and people wonder why i avoid the new stuff at first. (still avoiding the crap out of 8, though.)

nice on the tablet PC, though. post some pics when you get it. : D

@pent: tempting, though i'd have to leave my Cyborg 009 skin behind. ;v;
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 11, 2015, 01:12:52 AM
*hears this as boyfriend's father is 'upgrading' his laptop to Win10*

greeeeeaaaat......and people wonder why i avoid the new stuff at first. (still avoiding the crap out of 8, though.)

nice on the tablet PC, though. post some pics when you get it. : D

For most people it the upgrade went smoothly. Most common error was with the upgrade assistant itself; all it says is:
Something Happened
Something Happened.
before quitting to the desktop. Getting past that (by getting the ISO directly or making an attempt at using the upgrade assistant-based media tool) most from what I saw had a pretty stock Windows 10 experience. It's just certain setups and machines seem to not play as well. My guess is older hardware and machines with special hardware setups (&/or lazy OEM driver developers) are the ones to have the largest problem. For instance, many of the HP Stream 11 drivers are "general" drivers that may not work or are designed for a broader product range for basic functionality until specific drivers are released (I'm looking at you Synaptics), and this machine's hardware setup makes for lower energy use but also means it's a tad quirky.

Pro Tip: Don't update NVidia drivers unless theyre listed for your machine AND Windows 10. Some have gotten BSODs from "newer" drivers built for Windows 8 (Ive seen the same happen from Win7 to Win8, so I'm thinking Nvidia drivers are not built with future systems in mind)

Best bet is to download the ISO directly through the official links (available by switching your user agent to Windows Phone 8 weirdly; Desktop UA shows the media tool instead) and upgrade from a flashdrive made from it (or the ISO directly on Windows 8)

Will try to post pics once the tablet arrives.

LeaflameSD

and I'm still on supposedly-crappy windows vista over here

Chocofreak13

7 for lyyyyfe.

@Dustii: i have no idea the specs of the laptop or how he went about installing it. let's see what happens....
click to make it bigger