What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitkin

My first impression after some six hours of using the Windows 10 release is pretty positive. Strangely I have nothing to really complain about. Will surely come up with something soon enough, though.

Lightning speed, really! That's not new, however, since already the W8 disasters felt at least light and rapid. I like how Microsoft Edge looks, but it seems to have troubles parsing links and forums at times.

edit: Funnily enough, Edge doesn't display the avatars properly here, but has cut off the bottom edges of some avatars.

edit2: Indeed, Edge's got big problems with avatars. Don't know if it's just me, but such a poor show displaying simple pictures is rather pitiful.

edit3: Ha! I knew OSC'd sink this thing. Better stick to something else for now.

Nichi

I forgot about Edge -w-;;

I plan to make the leap to 10 later this month; waiting for them to work out some of the kinks and also make a backup in case things go wrong (All my pics and such are on an external drive, at least, but I'll likely burn another backup DVD)

Goujer (she/her)

Using Windows 10 has made me realize how awesome Windows 8.1 was, because I'm now finding features that were avaliable in 8.1 that are now no longer avaliable in Windows 10, which makes me sad.

I stopped using Edge after I could no longer change tabs for no reason. Other than that Edge worked fine for me.

They really removed a lot of themeing options in this build and I really don't like it...

Nichi

@Duko: Kinda glad I decided to wait to move to 10, if SeaMonkey is broken on it :\

@Lego: In terms of customization, how does 10 stack against 7?

Chocofreak13

haaaaaaaaa, Win7 Forever~

@pit: good to hear from you! and i figured this would elicit a response, the breakdowns of win8 you guys did was nice and informative.

also we rock if we can manage to smash that thing. =w=

@kodomo: Opera was my browser of choice for years and years, but it's too much a memory sink for me to use anymore. be prepared for sky-high usage. :\
click to make it bigger

Ghost Member

Sincerely, I felt Inori is reliable than Edge. Without ad blocker Edge become useless.
Edge is end up the same boat as Vivaldi browser without ad blocker plugin supports.
Right now my Inori is armed with Adblock plus & Adfender.
Also my adfender protect all browsers so don't have to worry about Inori's vulnerability against ads.

LeaflameSD

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Ghost Member on August 02, 2015, 01:04:13 AM
Sincerely, I felt Inori is reliable than Edge. Without ad blocker Edge become useless.
Edge is end up the same boat as Vivaldi browser without ad blocker plugin supports.
Right now my Inori is armed with Adblock plus & Adfender.
Also my adfender protect all browsers so don't have to worry about Inori's vulnerability against ads.

WOOT! IE FTW. Seriously though, I rely heavily on the advanced security options, tracking protection (AKA integrated AdBlock), and "No Add-ons" mode for my daily browsing. When you live in hillbilly hell and don't have quality internet, every little bit counts. Also find it funny how, for me, Edge is slower and less compatible with the modern web than IE11 is, and IE11 is missing Edge mode in Windows 10 (this has been a feature since IE9), so yeah. :|

Maybe when edge ups it's game.

Quote from: Penti-chan on July 31, 2015, 01:48:44 PM
@Lego: In terms of customization, how does 10 stack against 7?

It has most of Windows 7's customization features, only they are hidden away; Themes are accessed through a separate settings page or by launching control panel directly, Colors are now limited in range exception being theme set colors (workaround: edit a theme file's color attribute and apply to change color), Screensaver dialog is hidden in lockscreen settings, and sounds are accessible through the sound properties dialog (launched by right clicking volume).

Color adjustment is the only real inhibited theming option, though titlebars no longer take the theme color; rather, the "borderless" windows have a small 1px - 2px outline of the color of choice.

There may be other theming options I was unaware of in 7 that 10 removed (8 removed the advanced desktop theming options dialog).

Overall liking the latest Windows 10 builds (10162 - Public {10240}; been an insider since the start), but missing some of Windows 8's features (namely: charms, full page "All Apps" view, Integrated Onedrive {This is a biggy as the 2013 version preinstalled lacks selective sync for files which is a must considering the size of my onedrive}, full screen search experience {I love cortana, but the immersive search was well designed and useful})

It's clearly a W.I.P, but it's a good middle ground between Windows 8 and Windows 7
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

Noted. I'm likely going to wait until later this month \ next month to upgrade.

TBH, I should make sure MapleStory is going to work; I remember making the leap from XP to 7 caused a lot of compatibility issues -w-;

Chocofreak13

@leaf: *brofist*
@dustii: good to hear from you. tbh if there's enough user response they may implement those feature as options in a later update. it's still too new to tell, after all. :0
@ghost: good to see you posting outside of that one thread! i have no idea what edge is even supposed to be; why not just release a new version of IE instead of trying to reinvent the wheel? :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I think they want to start over due to IE's bad reputation...although versions 7 onward are honestly not too bad; the bad reputation comes mostly from the earlier versions, especially IE6.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 02, 2015, 04:09:45 PM
I think they want to start over due to IE's bad reputation...although versions 7 onward are honestly not too bad; the bad reputation comes mostly from the earlier versions, especially IE6.

Ay. Up to the very end you'd see people saying Internet Explorer was bad, if not because of it's older versions, then because it's "not webkit" and therefor "doesn't support the full breadth of HTML5 standards" (sad irony is many of the latter were web developers and seem to have a lack of understanding that anything with "-webkit-" at the beginning isn't part of the HTML standard, even if what follows technically is)

Microsoft's shuffling of feet with IE7 & IE8, along with the horrid rep of IE6, killed the browser and the name. Had MS set in motion the moves they started with IE9 sooner then perhaps there could of been a chance. Now not even Inori can save it.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 02, 2015, 12:16:54 PM
@dustii: good to hear from you. tbh if there's enough user response they may implement those feature as options in a later update. it's still too new to tell, after all. :0

I've been part of the insider program since the start, but I don't have much hope. Most of my suggestions (which others share) have been explained away by Microsoft as being "necessary" for one reason or another, and the OneDrive issue has been said to have the "core functionality" of placeholders (which is what selective sync is part of) coming in a "future update" at an unannounced date.

One need look no further than the reasoning behind hamburgers in Windows Mobile to know that Microsoft is pulling a classic move by trying to cover up their previous product(s) (Windows 8, Windows Phone), and killing many great features and functionality in the process. Microsoft doesn't seem to know how to recycle product features :|

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 02, 2015, 12:16:54 PM
@ghost: good to see you posting outside of that one thread! i have no idea what edge is even supposed to be; why not just release a new version of IE instead of trying to reinvent the wheel? :\

Edge is a new browser using a fork of the Trident engine, called EdgeHTML, that uses Trident's "Edge" rendering while stripping every little bit of code used for compatibility with older webpages (I.E Compatibility View, Internet Explorer Document modes, ActiveX, etc.). The idea is to always be on the forefront of compatibility with HTML standards, while also mapping select non-standard functions (I.E "-webkit-") to their respective standards if possible. It also will bring support for chrome extensions.

I.E Edge is if IE lost a lot of weight and worked more like Google Chrome, not to mention isn't called "Internet Explorer". It's Microsoft giving up and giving in, while holding on to the small sliver of their web development identity they have left by using a fork of Trident over using WebKit.

I will still use IE11, missing Edge-mode be d***ed. There are too many settings and features missing in IE, most which an extension could not adequately cover as functionally.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

Quote from: DustiiWolf on August 02, 2015, 06:23:03 PM
Microsoft doesn't seem to know how to recycle product features :|

True that, although sometimes old features do find a way of coming back. In my exploration of the various betas, Windows 8's Hybrid Boot mode began as a similar feature on Windows Neptune; it used hibernate as the default state for shutting down, dramatically boosting start-up time over Windows 2000, but it made dual-booting difficult and did take up a lot of disk space depending on how much RAM you had (As it was just a normal hibernation), which is likely why they scrapped it when Neptune's development was folded into XP.

I think one of the more interesting things to read up on is the development of Windows 95. There were a lot of ideas thrown around during its development cycle that never saw the light of day, or would be scrapped. Even the interface went through some dramatic changes:

(Chicago Build 58s; circa August '93)

(Windows 95 as we know it)

Ghost Member

LeaflameSD

wow, windows 95 hasn't aged that well in terms of aesthetics when you look back at it.