What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goujer (she/her)

I salute you, warrior of computers!

Chocofreak13

when you think about it, a brand new mac desktop as a broke-ass art student? hell to the yes. though it was evening, so that makes it even more nervewracking. :0
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

My legacy tower (XP-tan) has just unfortunately kicked the bucket. She has had problems with staying on for a while now and I thought they went away, but.
I had noticed yesterday that I had never backed her up once, so I burned a Clonezilla CD on her. After ejecting the disk and the closing disk tray she turned off. I pushed the power button, unplugged and replugged her but she still wasn't turning on.
I fell on her about to cry saying "don't die" she then turned on without any input. I put in the Clonezilla CD and backed her up. Now she still isn't turning on and I can only assume that she's gone for good.
R.I.P. first computer I ever built.

Chocofreak13

tell me more of this clonezilla thing. how dead does the drive have to be for it not to work? :0
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

The drive has to work. Clonezilla is a live Linux CD that lets you back up your hard drive and restore it to a same size or larger hard drive. The hard drive does have to be working, you may be able to pull off the old freezer trick on a dead hard drive and see if that gets it to work.

Nichi

Good to know. I have a drive that died recently, and it has some stuff I want to retrieve, but it's not stable enough for recovery software to retrieve anything from it :\

Goujer (she/her)

I find that freezing it gives it a good 10 minutes, before it starts to fail again.
The science behind the trick is that it will cause the platters in the HDD to contract due to the cold temperature, allowing the reader head to get more space between it and the platter. Since often disks fail due to the head touching the platter this solves the problem.

Although I'm not sure that Clonezilla would work on a dead hard drive the thing runs for about an hour on an 80 GB hard drive. XP's hard drive is still good, I think her motherboard is just dead.

Nichi

Mmm. I just want to recover one episode of an anime series from this drive, but IDK if it'll stay up long enough to work :\

LeaflameSD

Ghost Member

1. Windows 10 Enterprise Preview Build 10074 x64
2. Xubuntu 14.04.1 amd64

Chocofreak13

I-N-T-R-O
D-U-C-E

yourself.

also, would you mind posting some screencaps of 10? i kinda want to see what it's like.

click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

Windows 10 Screenshots
Desktop:

Explorer:

Start Menu:

All Apps View:

My opinion is Windows 10 is a major improvement on Window 8 but still needs some work before it can really get people off Windows 7.
Explorer.exe is absolutely the best thing ever on both Windows 8 and 10, but the Start Menu, visual style and stability are the major down falls to both of them.
Windows 10 however does successfully make the new modern apps look identical to win32 apps, and the new Windows Snap is very useful (after you tweak some settings).

The only way I'm upgrading my desktop to Windows 10 is if they allow Windows 7 style themes and a cleaner start menu.

Nichi

I heard rumors of Windows 10 being a subscription service, which that alone has me weary. Really thinking that, when Project Sealab (Revised version of 2k-tan the Desktop) happens in a few years, I'll be on Linux by then

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Penti-chan on May 27, 2015, 01:08:36 PM
I heard rumors of Windows 10 being a subscription service, which that alone has me weary. Really thinking that, when Project Sealab (Revised version of 2k-tan the Desktop) happens in a few years, I'll be on Linux by then

If you mean by the "Windows as a service", I don't think it's a subscription service in the traditional sense (though a few news outlets did toss that comparison around). 10 will supposedly be like Chrome, with regular updates adding new features for free with the version number increasing incrementally as it does, opposed to the traditional major release -> service pack model that sees major features in the next major version with minor features and refinements in each service pack. It sounds overall refreshing. Though I could see a subscription model being employed for enterprise features.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

Ahh. I'm considering making the leap, since they have the free upgrade offer for Windows 7 users; I just want to wait for the reviews to roll in before I make the leap